How to cure a crop of Marijuana + more.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by jcj77d, Jul 6, 2007.

1. [quote name="stewiespliff" post="19149672" timestamp="1386880460"]*Edit.... SNAP A BRANCH *Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk[/quote]Sent from my SGH-S959G using Grasscity Forum mobile appSounds about right

2. [quote name="lbezphil2005" post="19153957" timestamp="1386946177"]Sent from my SGH-S959G using Grasscity Forum mobile appSounds about right[/quote]Yeah thanks man. I've only harvested a few time before have 3 in the works now also. Flowering. And 2 that I just flipped. I have use the method in the past with no issues. Smooth tasty and stanky nugs when done... Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

3. Does it have to be a:dark room to dry out properly?

4. It's preferred because moist buds that are no longer part of a living plant plus light can = mold. It's also been said that light degrades trichomes but I don't think that it makes a big impact at all.

5. Thanks for that.
    I just left my buds hang for about 10 days in a dark shed, it took it that long for the stems to dry enough to snap.
    Trimmed last night and put it sealed jars.
    Will wait a month as per thread instructions.
    Sample from last night was pleasing.
    All good!

You still gotta burp them like 2-3 times per day depending on how dry they were when you put them in.  If real dry you could get away with 1 every day or two, but leaving for a full month will prolly not be a good idea at all.

7. Thanks again, PS.
    Is a burp opening the jar and having a sniff then replacing the lid and saying good nite, or is a more elaborate procedure?
    Also, I have another round of plants to harvest.
    Should I starve them of water before snipping?
    Like no water for a week?
    Mine are dehydrated so snip or water?
    They almost look dead, not sticky.

8. Hang on a metal hanger in a cheap, plastic suit bag with Zipper. The first 1-3 days, when getting crisp, keep unzipped or open. After 3 days, zip the suit case to restrict air flow and keep in moisture. It only takes 5-7 days for sweet jar ready buds. I jar and see 55%-60% RH with hygro in wide mouth mason jar, burp daily, Done in 5-7 days hanging, then jar cure 1-3 weeks. Molasses and Lemon throughout the grow. The last water/molasses/lemon juice on dawn before morning harvest. hang in dark cool closet, adjust closet door depending on the relative humidity. 2 week minimum, 5-8 classic.

Safe growing. 

Tell um Mark sent you: 
    http://affiliates.grasscity.com/shop/clickthru.cgi?id=StrainMaker 

9. Makes me wonder how vitamin water would do. But like others are saying. I spent way to much time to be ruining it now

10. I found a great way to clean buds before hanging.
    1. Strategically cut 12-16 inch "hanging' branches with strong first bud stem to hang on metal wire hanger.
    2. Place branches side by side on a dry newspaper next to bathtub.
    3. Let bathtub fill 5 inches with cold water. Colder the better but warm is fine also.
    4. Drop about 5 drops of H2O2, 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, into tub. 
    Place about 6-8 branches under water.
    5. Shake/sway branches GENTLY in water about 5 times.
    6. Place spoon or heavy object over all branches to keep all flowers submerged for three minutes, no longer, no less.
    7. Remove from water, use a blow dryer (no heat) to dry buds and remove visible water. Hang, done for a week. In moist environments beware of mold. hang buds on a laundry wire set-up, or my favorite the Hanging nets, five "chambers" and hangs from ceiling or in closet. Regardless of method,allow plants to  hang, or open air dry for 5-7 days. Jar cure from 70% Rh, open daily a day or two. when Rh remains steady below 70%, seal until RH drops to 55%or below, opening once every week for a month.
         The Art of Curing is must study before harvest. Even after a few harvests, a Grower takes wrong turns,makes errors and mistakes. The key to success is learning from our mistakes, reading Ed Rosenberg, Jorge Cervantes and studying grower journals of same strain you are growing. Commercial producers often skip curing. A patient may take advantage of this economic shortcut and place his/her/their Cannabis in a glass Mason jar. Just sitting overnight in an airtight jar does wonders. . sometimes.
         After spending our time, energy and labor growing legal Cannabis, the two to five weeks required seems unnecessary. some level of slow drying, decarboxylation in an airtight jar. Open the jar,blow or fan fresh air inside to replace air in jar. Repeat. I monitor Rh with small digital hygro in the jar. right now I have an ounce and a half of Chemdog slow drying, curing, smelling stronger each time I open the jar. Slower the better. My current cure is 72C and 67% Rh, perfect, slow steady decarboxylation allows chlorophyll to evaporate.  A proper cure highlights terpenes and essential oil scents, undertones, strain specific smell and tasteis quite genetic. Similar to Merlot or Chardonnay, Strain specific cannabis terpenes produce scents of Citrus, Lime, Lemon, Pineapple, Mango, tangerine, pine, fuel, spice, berries, earth, coffee, skunk. Did you know that Limonene is a hydrocarbon based terpene. Many cannabis terpenes are hydrocarbons. Variation of medicinal effects are strain specific and involve hundreds of cannabinoid, terpene, resin, interactions. Proper drying, decarboxylation and curing are essential to successfully creating Da Kind. 

http://affiliates.grasscity.com/shop/clickthru.cgi?id=StrainMaker 

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Thank you fella, this has been very helpful :)

12. I'm not at harvest yet, a few weeks away, when I do cut, my plan is 1 last water w/ molasses & lemon juice?(what's the lemon juice add? ) about a week before cutting, then 48hrs of dark before I actually cut. They'll be in a shed, I've managed to get heat to the shed now too, so I'm thinking I can get away with drying in the shed. I don't mean a lot of heat, just enough to keep it above freezing basically, 5 - 10C? Where I live, we've already hit lows below zero at night, (and we're not that warmer during the day!) so unheated completely, my buds will freeze while drying won't they? I know colder air, drier air, but what's my cut off temp? The shed I'm worried might encourage mold, although I've seen no signs of that yet.. Just "smells" damp in the shed.. I originally was planing the dry & cure in my heated garage, but my husband I'm sure would like to not have it stink up for weeks... So if I can use the shed its best.. Anyone have some thoughts or suggestions? It's my first grow, so far so good.. Haven't killed em, yet☺️ they all seem healthy & coming along nicely... Would hate to have everything go to shit during the dry/cure if I pick the wrong locaton😔

13. #133 Funky Town, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
    Almost everything in this thread is a bunch of hooey, IMHO. Ya'll make it so complicated.

Hanging plants is old school quick drying and wasteful. Harvest according to the Trichs at 75-100% cloudy, or later into amber if you want sleep meds(The thc in the trichs will continue breaking down into CBs as it dries). Groom immediately and dry slowly, loosely placed into large glass jars without the lid for 4-8 days, depending on humidity. For the next 2-3 weeks cure with the lids set on top of the jars only half to 3/4 of the way covering, again depending on humidity. Then seal and burp them daily for 2-3 weeks more. Burping means opening the lids and either lightly shaking or even dumping the contents onto a piece of newspaper for a few minutes if humidity is high. At 4-6 weeks after drying is when they are first ready to smoke, however my mentor would not smoke his until it cured at least 3 months!
    Freezing your weed gives you no control over humidity and has the same effect as making Ice hash, the cold makes the trichs fall off! Storage should be in glass jars in a cool dry place such as a pantry, a vault or even just a dark bookshelf can work.
    If dried and cured properly, there is no need for flavoring, it will taste wonderful.

Agree or disagree, but know that I have had years of success using these methods and lessons taught to me by a grower from Columbia/Florida with 40 years of experience.

14. how long do you usually let it cure for MINIMUM from harvest to smoke? and what if you did not use the jar burping method?

You don't need a jar, but you do need something air tight.  It's all about drying as evenly as possible.  Otherwise it may still have the same potency but be harsh as f*#k!

16. Hello,

The lemon juice lowers the Ph allowing the plant to use many Minerals previously "locked out" with higher Ph. My Chemdog smells like candy lemonhead shunk., two weeks after harvest, but only one week in the jar, now 71/65%. I will burp every other day. TIP: I learned a single leaf, taken from a same strain growing can raise Rh to a perfect level, from 59% to 63%. After two more weeks of burping every other day, ready to my taste, She will smoke fine with snow white ash. The fuel smell is becoming stronger, more pronounced. Some strains need lots of TLC and attention while curing, ie. Blueberry, others not so much. Sativa takes longer at every turn, veg, flower, cure. I could finish two 45-50 day Afghani or Kush grows, before a Sativa risks another day, day 95. Think of all that can go wrong with a grow. No more Sativas. My current grow is in veg after a severe topping. Looks hot. growing RP Kandy Kush, and Bubba Kush. . . 

17. hello folks...I have 15 6 ft indicas to cure...obviously there isn't enough hours in a day to use/burp 1 qt jars...I have a couple gallon jars I will employ, but will need a bigger cure-container...for example...could a plastic food-grade tote work???...any info appreciated...thanks

mojo

18. my understanding is a large Tupperware container will work. I would buy a couple 1 gallon glass sealed glass containers, but plastic works short term. I am not sure I would use plastic. Anyone?

19. Orange juice contains absorbic acid which could damage the plant. 

And learn how to trike your buds with a jeweler's loupe.

20. #140 Funky Town, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
    Yes.