How many start counting flower days from flip ?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Guides' started by morugawelder, Oct 9, 2019.

1. May I ask what the "flip" is?

2. The "flip" is when you change the lights to 12/12 to induce flowering

3. I count day 1 of flowering on day 1 of flip

4. It's ready when it's ready eyy? :D I Like your style growmie! :D

5. I’m close to harvesting Moby Dick Auto’s by Dinafem. On their site it says 80days. I also have Blue Amnesia XXL (75 days) I understand this is from germination.
    I know this is just an estimate, and that a lot of factors can affect the days before harvest.
    Just how far out can this be, at worst? My I’m on day 72 of 75 and the trichomes are nowhere near ready yet. I’ve had the ladies on GHE final part, they are fattening up, but trichomes are still mostly clear and some milky.
    What’s the longest “overdue days” anyone has experienced, and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Day one of flower is the first cycle of 12/12 for me.
    I do check trichs sometimes, but anymore I go off of visual indicators as much as anything.
    IME, I wait for the point of the ripening stage when :
    A) at least 80% of the pistils have gone from white to orange/ red.
    B) pistils have shriveled back down into the calyxes.
    C) calyxes have taken on a noticeable swollen appearance, which usually happens during that last golden week we all search for.
    I’d agree with erring on the side of late vs early:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. put a peg with the date in the pot...

turn off 'Seseme Street'

you count nothing ...toke on....!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. It can go a month over every once in a while....but like someone else said.....go by the plant and what its telling you.....and not what the seed banks say. You are doing it right, I know you are "worried" but dont be.:passing-joint:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. <-- 10 weeks actual in flower.
    For a photoperiod that is a 20 week grow.
    10 in veg and 10 in flower.
    3 weeks for a cutting to root.
    7 weeks for that clone to reach 3 ft tall.
    Set them outside to flower and harvest 10 weeks later.
    I want them way well done. A dying plant is good to go for me.
    Even a few dead and dried buds. It's rare one kicks the bucket at 8-9 weeks but I've had a few that finished at 8-9 weeks.

BNW

10. I know you’ve repeated yourself on this. Shit you even replied to my own concerns on my 24/0 thread.
    But you say 24/0 sucks for roots, so if I run 20/4 for veg/cuttings. Being in a “sub tropical environment” wouldn’t the summer days be to long for the flower to be set in the ground on the 6/1 batch?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. #51 BrassNwood, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Wasn't me saying 24-0 is bad for roots.

Summer adds June and July as veg stage outside.

June 1st = Harvest the spring plants, Set out the vegged plants and take clone cuts from them.
    They will keep vegging till Aug 1st and get harvested Oct 15th.
    8 weeks in veg then 10 weeks in flower.

Oct 15th = Harvest, Set out veggers, Take cuts. 10 weeks in flower
    Jan 1st = Harvest, Set out veggers, Take cuts. 10 weeks in flower
    March 15th = Harvest, Set out veggers, Take cuts, 10 weeks in flower.

Should make things more clear.

BNW

12. Cool cool makes better since to me now.

Ah I got you confused then, apologize.
    Who ever it was, was very adamant on 24/0 not producing good enough roots to support the flower, when time comes to flower.
    After I chopped down two males in 24/0, I will argue that statement till I’m blue in the face.
    Their statement is roots grow in the dark periods.... but cannabis is a c3, right? No dark needed for respiratory needs
    (Maybe that’s why they went male) to much stress?

Anyways,

Don’t mean to be over ask’y but Have you played with different start dates, and you found that this was the best one with the sun solstices, to achieve 4 harvest outdoor or are you just using that as example, due to calendar?

13. Ohhh I've played with the dates many times over the past 8 years I've been running the 4 harvest per year outdoors.
    The Summer set is fixed and no real way to change the start / finish dates with that one.
    The other 3 off season sets are arranged around that
    What can be done is to run 5 sets per year if you don't mind a short 8 week harvest window.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1917.JPG

I start from day of flip but I pay attention to the ladies and what they’re telling me. I have a situation now at day 53 from flip on GG#4 which is supposed to have a flower time of 56 days. I think the hairs say they’re ready but the trich’s are telling a different story in my opinion. I know 53 days is early but I’m using chryptochrome and according to the factory rep they’ve seen plants finish as much as 5 days early so I guess it’s no real surprise that they look ready. I’m giving them more time.....rich

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. I’ve no idea what the product is you’re referring to -

But take what those factory reps say with a grain of salt - its ALL about sales.

Worse than used car dealers.

j

16. I keep a weekly journal on my grows, both notes and pics, I mark the start of flower the day I flip the lights. I also mark the week that pistols show, which is usally between the 1st and 2nd week since the flip. I harvest by the appearance of the trichomes (milky with some amber).

I've learned to not even look at the seedbanks suggested flowering times.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I’ve wondered the same about whether to start the count at flip or first pistils. It doesn’t make a difference on when they’re ready though. There are so many variables that you can’t go by breeder timelines. “Ready in 7-8 weeks of flower” sells more seeds.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The best (tunniest) I’ve seen is the “8 week Haze”... lol

Anything that flowers/matures in 8 or even 10 weeks isnt a damn Haze anymore. The Haze brothers were selecting very long flowering landrace Sativas that would flower 20+ (Sometimes 25 weeks) weeks yet somehow todays modern seedbanks have polluted the genes so badly they’ll claim theyve got a Haze strain that’ll finish in 8-10 weeks.

j

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. The general standard is to count from flip. Otherwise it causes discrepancies and confusion. For example, you can consider flowering the exact same pheno from seed, and and exact generic copy from clone. The clone will already be sexually mature from the get-go, and will already be showing pistils when you flip to 12/12. So if you start counting flower time from when you see pistils, the seed plant and the clone plant will have different flower times for the exact same genetics, and they will finish right around the same time. Easiest thing is to is to could from flip. The only time I wouldnt start counting from flip is if you are flowering out a sexually immature plant after a very short veg from seed. In this specific case, the plant will continue to veg for a while in 12/12 until it hits sexual maturity.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. It's all well and good to go by "flip day" But I'd go by when the pistols pop out. a week or 2 difference wont matter.

But don't you think it's better to harvest at trich ripeness wanted? Unless you're documenting your grow i don't think it will really matter, people may say different, it probably is good to keep track but you don't absolutely have to.