How Light is Measured & Lighting Spectrum and Photosythesis

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jcj77d, Nov 1, 2009.

1. So when people say if you just buy one setup for both veg and flower buy hps. But according to this hps is no good for veg except for the wattage

2. also if you had choice between 2 23w 6500k cfls with cri of 80 each or 1 42w 6500k cfl with 92 cri wouldnt the two 23w bulbs b better cause total would be 160 cri

3. I don't think u can add up cri coz u cant add up lumens from what I know.

4. Wow,all this info is giving me a headache,lol...my question is,how much is it going to cost to buy a lighting system for a small micro grow of 4 plants or so?..I can get the seeds sprouted,I need lights after that.Thanks for any helpful tips on which lights are the cheapest to get me thru.I'm on a tight budget right now.

5. Okay so... I'm completely confused as to what any of the explanation meant, so I'm wondering if anyone can answer a question for me.

I have four T5 bulbs with two 6500k bulbs, and two 3000k lights together at 8,000 lumens. They are all running at the same time, am I giving my plant the proper spectrum for growth?

6. #46 Cuzin Red, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
    I disagree with the suggestion this thread implies that lumen output is of so little importance in the combined factors about light beneficial to plants. I've read otherwise that as long as the light spectrum is reasonably balanced lumen output is among the most critical elements to large and potent yields. Ref: Ed Rosenthal's statements and many other sources.

Edit: Consider the fact that one of the most popularly recognized factors about HIDs is lumen output.
    Or better yet, consider the lumen output of direct sunlight. The very form of light we're trying to most closely replicate.

7. While on the subject of lumens it's imperative to point out a common error growers make when figuring total lumens for their grow space. The issue is most deceptive when people compare CFLs to HIDs. Merely multiplying a bulb's lumen output (CFL or HID) by the number of bulbs being used to arrive at total lumens available to plants is grossly inaccurate. Overall lumens does not increase from a cluster of CFLs that are only capable of producing 2500 lumens apiece. 2500 lumens is the max each bulb can produce, and cannot somehow magically become 10,000 lumens because 4 bulbs are clustered together, or spread out. The 2500 initial lumens becomes more evenly distributed, and the space appears brighter. But the plain fact is each bulb is still only producing 2500 initial lumens.
    Some would argue this isn't correct and swear the lumens increases according to a light meter. But years of experience and a little more focused common sense that 2500L output is 2500L, period. No matter how many bulbs are used.

8. FYI-
    Source: MGG by Mel Frank & Ed Rosenthal, 1990 Revised Edition, pg. 78

"Flourescent Tubes
    Several lighting manufacturers make tubes (gro-tubes) that produce much of their light in the critical red and blue bands...
    Theoretically, these tubes should work better for growing plants than standard lighting tubes. However, some standard or regular flourescent tubes used for lighting actually work better for growing plants than more expensive natural-spectrum tubes and gro-tubes specifically manufactured for plant growth. The reason is regular flourescents produce more light (lumens), and overall lumen output is more important for growth rate than a specific light spectrum. To compensate for their spectrums, use them in combinations of one, "blue" flourescent to each one or two, "red" flourescents...
    The best combinations are either Warm White or Soft White (red) tubes used with either Cool White or Daylight (blue) tubes. These four tube types are common, much cheaper, and when used in combination, will give you a better return than any of the more expensive gro-tubes or natural-spectrum tubes..."

9. This description hits the nail on the head. You need the mix of Blue/Red in order to get optimum growth. My T5 right now is pumping 2 3000k and 2 6400k bulbs. The veg growth is uniform, vigorous, and still very closely segmented.

In flower one needs less blue and a little more red, however the blue from a typical HPS is not enough. Adding an MH will greatly increase growth expectations. Soon my grow will be full spectrum the entire way so I can try to demonstrate the immense benefits of growing full spectrum artificial light.

10. How can u say that? Complete nonsense!

Are u saying if u have 4 hoses filing one pool, each hose 2500 lites per hour, they are not going to have a fill rate of 10000lites per hour?

Its the same with light bulbs.

11. "The 2500 initial lumens becomes more evenly distributed, and the space appears brighter."

The space APPEARS BRIGHTER....now combining that with the fact that lumens are a measure of the PERCEIVED BRIGHTNESS of the light to the human eye and also the fact that lumens is a measure of EMITTED light, and not what is hitting the plants, I would say you have no clue what you're talking about. Please do a little research before you go around spreading misinformation.

The amount of radiant energy(the energy from the lights, which is what matters) getting to the plants most certainly increases as you add lights.

12. #52 bmeat, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
    so i cant use a high c.r.i. 5000k for vegging AND flowering? its white, shouldnt it put out equal orange and blue amounts? i require a high c.r.i. orange bulb for flower?

would 4500 or 4300k with 90+ cri work for veg and flower? im missing something.

regardless, which is better for veg, 5000k or 6400k?

13. 4500/4300 would grow plants, just not as efficiently as their preferred spectrum. Based on studies, these plants grow optimally with around 6500K for veg and around 2700K for flower. I'll try to find you a graph that shows their reaction to different spectrums.

14. image-1084163191.jpg

See why you wouldn't want a ~4500K bulb? Your plants will not absorb as much PAR with it. Note that these color temperatures are what the bulb will produce the most of, not the only color they will produce. Many bulbs will produce most of the color spectrum, they just won't have much intensity for colors other than what's listed on the box. That's where cri comes in. That's how accurately they are able to produce that color.

15. 2700k/6400k or GTFO.

Anything else is a waste of time, effort, money, energy, and space.

16. Huge waste. The difference in absorption is gigantic.

17. so 6400>5000 even for veg?

18. That would be correct.

Although there is a debate between 2700k and 3000k, I prefer 2700k from experience.

19. looks like 5500k would be the best for veg, no?

right now my bulbs are 80+ c.r.i. thats fine, yeah?

20. 5500-6500 looks like a good range. And the color rendering index is how accurately they will produce that spectrum, with 100 being perfect. So the higher cri, the more amount of that spectrum it puts out. IMO 80 is sufficient. Higher cri's are needed more so for photography and such.