How I make my bho step by step

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Dr fumbles, Apr 1, 2014.

1. #21 Dr fumbles, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    Then what is this? If not fats or waxes . This accumulates on the bottom of my thermos after the long soak.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397332098.940964.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. have you tried putting it on a nail? smells like shit

3. Rock hard like concrete and haven't put it on the nail to smell it. But I know for a fact that when I don't do the super cold soak the product is a lot hazier, taste far worse and is noticeably not stronger. So if it isn't dewaxing then whatever it is doing is making a huge improvement.

4. Like I said those are quotes from another forum debating the validity.  I guess I should have clarified more that this is just the science behind winterization, and dewaxing as explained to me.  Like many subjects in this field there is much dis, or mis information out there.  What that actually is in the bag?  Who knows unless it is some how tested.  I honestly was about to try this method until I read what I posted about polar, and non-polar solvents.  I guess the verdict is still out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yea I wasn't trying to argue just more throw out a question. Idk exactly what that is either and just figured it was waxes. When I just do straight tube blast with freezing everything I can see the waxes accumulate(or whatever it is). The final product is always cloudy and just overall not as good looking. I wish I still had some pics of the straight tube blast runs I had. I will try to look them up for comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was laying in bed last night thinking about this.  I wonder what systalic hairs fall under.  Polar, or non-polar.  Could be all resin stalks?  I also was just trying to start a conversation on the product, as that is the only way to the truth.

7. this thread is awesome, the pic of that bag of waxes....

I can't wait for the market to catch up to what the connoisseur's and diy'ers already know in like  5 years.  It is obvious that the commercially available products are about 50% garbage, 40% mediocre and 10% decent, or some such.

Who cares about quality when you can get paid son.  Those excess fats and waxes are WEIGHT!

• Like Like x 4
  8. ^ exactly the wrong thinking.  You can sell "winterized" for much more per gram than unwinterized.  Not that you are wrong but most consumers don't know what they are actually buying.  I am agreeing with you.   I only do winterized because I personally think it tastes better, and is more potent per gram.  I only haven't used this method because the "science" says it doesn't remove fats, and waxes.  I hope our discussion on this thread can bring more info to the surface on what is actually going on in that thermos.  Therefore I am going to attempt to keep this thread relevant, and not get shuffled down the pages.

9. I wish I could talk more about the science behind it but I honestly don't know any of it, I just copy the methods of people who make good oil and mine comes out good IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lol Pretty much where I started.  And kind of still am.  I am just beginning to learn the science behind this stuff.  I sucked at chemistry so just reading some of the stuff needs research to understand.  Your methods are by all means sound.  I just love making this stuff so much I want to truly understand what I am dealing with.  Just so many variables I want to be able to recreate the same thing time and time again.  Like I just did a small run of a strain I deal with on a regular basis.  Same phenotype, same harvest time, same drying technique, etc.  Shit turned to wax so quick at 100 deg under vac?  Only difference In running this strain I could come up with was air temp, and humidity at time of blast, and initial purge.  Every time I ran this strain it was dead of winter.  Below freezing.  This time it was almost 60 deg. and humidity was fairly high.  All I can come up with.  It did turn out to be the best "wax" run yet though.  So like I said I just truly want to understand why.

11. ThAts one thing I have noticed about the method I do is that it is consistent pretty much every time with the outcome. It may vary a little in consistency from super hard stable shatter to a little more pliable and not exactly hold in hand friendly.

And this is where shit gets weird, I was purging at around 110-115 for the longest time and getting nice rock hard shatter but was clearly lacking in flavor IMO. So lowered the heat thinking it was just a little to hot and as I lower the heat down to 100-105 I no longer get consistent hard stable shatter. I started getting the more pliable/a little sticky stuff almost every time but the flavor was out of this world. So my question would be was I destroying the terps and would high terpenes cause more liquid(not sure word to use) based product

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah when I winterize I get consistant shatter every time.  That's another reason like you I always believed the single solvent thing worked.  Also that is a good question. 

• Like Like x 1
  13. #33 Dr fumbles, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    This was made with just ice not even dry ice for the "dewaxing" portion so did not get to those subzero temps but still comes out amazing.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397769629.696240.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397769641.330461.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397769653.512583.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397769662.214292.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Some northern lights that was recently ran

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1399316084.028609.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1399316092.578603.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1399316100.665345.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1399316112.531220.jpg

Trim Nazi

• Like Like x 2
  15. Looks fire man.  So since we shortly discussed single solvent de-waxing I have done some serious reading and research on other forums.  I don't know if you belong to Icmag but they have the most comprehensive concentrate section I have yet to see.  And the most knowledge I have seen in one place.  guys that actually work at skunkpharm and other reputable places.  The single solvent de-wax is deffinately do able and practiced by quite a few.  However it is not a full absolute as not all waxes can be pulled by a single solvent.  The wax membrane of a trichome head has both polar, and non-polar compounds.  The non polar fall out of the solution but not the polar.  So yes single solvent de-wax works to a point, but does not clean out everything.  I figured I would share the info with you as I know you are the one I told it couldn't be done.  Well it most certainly can.  Check out Icmag I think you will like it over there.  this process of single solvent de-waxing is mostly being done on closed loop systems but the thermos method works well too.  Not sure what you filter with, but you may catch more with a refined filter system like a Buchner with wattmans filters and vac assist.  Most coffee filters actually let quite a bit of the filtered compounds through.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Well due to it being summer in a very hot state I can clearly tell from just looking at the final product that I am not dewaxing as much as I was before. Can't get that cooler temp low enough, I have a lot of butane evaporate off during the soak and like you can see the product is clearly darker. Here are 3 grams
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402334588.980908.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402334600.113535.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402334613.014973.jpg

Trim Nazi

17. do you put the cooler inside another cooler? if not I would say try that out and see how it goes. maybe a cooler in a cooler in a cooler??!? coolerception!

18. Not a bad idea actually. I would just need to invest in a bigger cooler. Wish I had a dry ice box, that would be perfect but those things cost an arm and a leg

Trim Nazi

19. what about a foam one? or do you want a more sturdy/permanent setup? I dont know how big the foam ones get.

20. A CoolerDucken!