Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How does smoking poppers cause you to lose weight?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by puffpuffnopass, Dec 27, 2014.

1. I weighed 285 lbs when I was smoking hitters on the daily. When I started smoking poppers I lost weight so fast I could hardly notice. After a short 4 months I weighed 220 lbs. As soon and I switched back to straight weed, I gained all my weight back. Found this forum because I’m considering “losing weight fast” again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. They called me “Iron Lungs”

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah, using cigs could easily lead to having to be in an iron lung.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  5. I know this is a very old post but if anyone is still looking this up I wanted to jump on here and say I was 145lbs when I started smoking poppers. I felt like I wasn't getting high enough with weed so I started poppers. It has taken such a toll on my weight I am down to exactly 100.2 and only been smoking them for about 7 months. Instead of eating I would smoke a popper and it caused me to have bad stomach issues with puking and othwr tgingd. and I'm still trying to gain my weight back and quit at the same time lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. If you wasn't getting high enough the weed wasn't strong enough lol.. mixing tobacco with weed doesn't make it any stronger u just get a head rush from the nicotine :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
  7. here’s my story I was 175 in highschool started hitting poppers/yetties is what we call em and in the first 3-4 months I lost a little bit of weight continued hitting them for over a year and a half and I was around 162 so half your body weight is bullshit and the reason you lose weight is because you wake up in the morning with a pain in your stomach not hungry don’t eat till lunch or later but when you do eat you don’t eat that much till your full and yea cycle goes on

8. This is literally what’s happening with me. I’ll eat whatever, whenever I want: which is usually never, because I just have zero appetite. I used to be 165 lbs steady for a couple years, and then when I started smoking (just in general) I lost weight super fast, (on top of me ED which is linked to the loss of appetite) going from 165 lbs to 125 in 2 years, which is a shit ton of weight. On top of that I’ve recently started popper tokes which added to more weight loss lately.

9. My daughter has been smoking poppers for about a year and she has lost 40 pounds. She is now under 90 pounds! I didn't know it could do that to your body but she told me she will never quit. We went to the Dr where he took her weight and ask her how she lost another 5 pounds in less than 2 months! If anyone has advice on how to get her to quit I would appreciate it. She is 16 and as stubborn as a 16 year old can be! I guess our next option will be the hospital where she will be forced to quit cold turkey. Very scary for a mother.

10. #50 Ultramaxx, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    I’ve never heard of poppers before ever …
    Urban Dictionary: poppers

Is there a safer way to mix tobacco? Glad I don’t smoke t Bacco…
    I supposed you could lose weight but that’s all diet oriented….
    I’ve heard of adding weed to a black and mild that’s about it …
    Blunts do contain some Tabasco ? But poppers are stronger ehh

11. @Ultramaxx No, there is no safe way to use tobacco! Yes, it can addict you. Blunt wraps are usually made from tobacco.And about blunts-

Quantification and comparison of marijuana smoking practices: blunts, joints, and pipes. (full – 2011) Quantification and Comparison of Marijuana Smoking Practices: Blunts, Joints, and Pipes

"Participants reported that they placed 50% more marijuana in blunts than in joints and placed more than twice the amount of marijuana in blunts than in pipes."

Comparison of subjective, pharmacokinetic, and physiological effects of marijuana smoked as joints and blunts. (full - 2009) Comparison of subjective, pharmacokinetic, and physiologic effects of marijuana smoked as joints and blunts

"Joints produced greater increases in plasma THC and subjective ratings of marijuana intoxication, strength, and quality compared to blunts,”

Does marijuana "blunt" smoking contribute to nicotine exposure?: Preliminary product testing of nicotine content in wrappers of cigars commonly used for blunt smoking. (USA) (abst – 2016) Does marijuana “blunt” smoking contribute to nicotine exposure?: Preliminary product testing of nicotine content in wrappers of cigars commonly used for blunt smoking - ScienceDirect

"Total nicotine content in the cigar wrapper ranged from 1.2 to 6.0 mg per cigar."

So with blunts you use more than joints or pipes. Blood levels of THC are lower with blunts and subjective ratings (how high the subjects felt) are lower with blunts. You also run the risk of becoming addicted to tobacco and/or contracting cancer with blunts.

And about that weight loss- Although nicotine does decrease appetite (and give you cancer), cannabis allows you to eat more and not gain weight! :yay:

Frequency Of Marijuana Use Associated With Lower Prevalence Of Obesity, Study Says
    (news – 2011) http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=8670

Marijuana Slims? Why Pot Smokers Are Less Obese (news – 2012) Marijuana Slims? Why Pot Smokers Are Less Obese | TIME.com

“Dietary intake and nutritional status of US adult marijuana users: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
    ” reported “lower BMI in users (24.7±0.3) than nonusers (26.6±0.1), despite users consuming 564 additional calories relative to nonusers”. Dietary intake and nutritional status of US adult marijuana users: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey - PubMed

“Marijuana use, diet, body mass index, and cardiovascular risk factors (from the CARDIA study)” found that “users who had consumed Cannabis for more than 1800 days over 15 years consumed on average 619 more calories/day than nonusers, yet showed no difference in BMI.” Marijuana use, diet, body mass index, and cardiovascular risk factors (from the CARDIA study) - PubMed

(FYI- 365 days x 15 years = 5475 days divided by 1800 = 3.04 days. :smoke: )

Granny :wave:

12. Popperfiend? Lol!

13. You smoking that shit? Gross bro!

14. If anyone is still frequenting this post please do a search on "the symbiotic effect of nicotine and tobacco". Very eye opening stuff. Been smoking poppers myself daily for close to 10 years. Anyways very interesting subject, turns out the nicotine receptors and THC receptors are practically beside each other so it creates an increased effect by hitting those receptors at the exact same time.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Very interesting. I myself was 175 lbs and have been smoking for 11 months. My lowest went to 105. Skin and bones. So hard to quit.

16. I can confidently say this is true and tbh I'm not sure how it's possible but I do know I was pretty heavy and I was smoking poppers just under a year or so and lost over 20lbs at first I didn't even notice there was a difference due to poor self image and esteem it was only until someone sent me a pic of me being silly that the genuine reality of how much I'd lost had actually been put into my focus outside of my own crappy mirror narrative it was then I said woah I'm that small?! I will also add I was eating nearly as much I'd say it almost all my meal were imbalanced to say the least if I had a big breakfast then I might've been apple juice, cookie and maybe a yogurt drink w/ water for lunch or just flat out sushi and a soda and then for dinner rice or pasta I was eating proper foods but the proportion was intensely smaller unless I got more munchies than usual I will say I'd get a bit nauseous sometimes not out of hunger but I guess from the weight of much I'd smoke I should note I was smoke at 2-3 a day maybe for or so