How Do I Recover Wax Out Of My Oil Rig

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by mjw4200, Jun 23, 2014.

1. what?

I searched for this article about reclaim, I found your post interesting and insightful and very close to what I am trying to do. I quoted your post so you would know what I was talking about...

Once I have the reclaim, I intend on dissolving it into a small bit of alcohol to make a tincture. Do you suggest baking it with a small amount of oil first (I've done this before in a small glass jar with about a gram of actual wax and a small amount of oil to make peanut butter cookies) and then mixing it with the alcohol? It would be Everclear 151 because we don't have 190 in CA.

3. I don't know anything about making tinctures

4. #44 ShatterWulf, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    Since I know I'm going to be using it for edibles I reclaim my rigs with Everclear and not ISO; I understand not everyone can get high proof grain alcohol and it's more expensive, but to be honest I'm not going to use a product that's toxic to consume (like isopropyl) into something I will consume.

I save up my reclaim until I have at least a 4-5 of grams and then winterize it before making edibles. Winterizing removes some of the exess fats and waxes that make reclaim taste less than stellar. Dissolve your reclaim in a couple cups of warm ethanol then leave it in the freezer to sit for a few days, after a day or so you will see a layer of waxes begin to come out of solution which makes the solution look cloudy, but I always wait at least 48 hours. After it's sat your desired amount of time, filter through some unbleached coffee fitlers and evaporate. The reclaim afterwards is much easier to handle than before (to the texture of a firm taffy), and taking out some of the waxes vastly improves the taste when making edibles, in fact I winterize every batch of food-grade hash I use before I use it. Here's some photo's of the winterized 'claim.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Recently my favorite thing to do with it has been making a breath spray. I bought a small blue spray bottle (~1fl. oz) at Whole Foods and add about a gram or so of winterized reclaim to it, fill it near the top with Everclear, then add  ~1/4 tsp of mint oil to help cut the stiff flavor of the Everclear. I use this with a few sprays under the tongue to help me fall asleep, using reclaim as an ethanol based breath spray takes advantage of sublingual administration, which means that you absorb the THC very quickly through all of the capillaries in your mouth and they can easily pass into the brain with minimal time for degradation, so it's very effective for even a small dose.

5. Any residuals are baked away when you cook with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. #46 ShatterWulf, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014

Meh, it's just a personal preference, especially since I tend to use my oils in their raw forms like pills and the breath spray I mentioned, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's not like I use a ton of Everclear, with cleaning my rigs I might buy a 35 dollar handle of Everclear every few months.