Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Help a total noob re: tincture and hash caps?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Fichte, Jan 26, 2021.

1. I’ve been looking over the web for some credible info about edibles and tinctures and it seems like I found the right place. Please forgive me as I ask the same questions I’m sure many have asked before. I have looked through the forum quite a bit, but I keep getting confused on what to do when etc. so I figured I would try to put all my failures, questions and concerns in one post. I recently for health reasons had to stop smoking altogether, and have therefore been trying to replicate or surpass my smoking experience as much as possible without going broke. I only have access to small amounts of flowers (oz not lbs) and no kief, hash or concentrates of any kind. So far I have tried 1) decarbing some ground flowers and mixing that in water (couple grams per attempt) and 2) decarbing some ground flower and then mixing that with grain alcohol (7gr to 4oz) and then after leaving overnight at room temp, drinking. Also I have 3) tried using this alcohol/cannabis tincture in a method I have read which is (trying) to hold it sublingually for 30-90 seconds before swallowing.

What I can say about all three of these experiments is that none were very successful. Case #1 took a couple hours to notice an effect which was in the end subtle and not remotely equivalent to having smoked the same amount (2gr). Case #2 was more effective, but not by a huge measure, with the major gain being in sleep-promotion. Case #3 was perhaps more effective still, but I found the burning sensation of the alcohol-based tincture in my sublingual area too intense to endure for more than 20-30 seconds, and with some scalding in the area which mitigates against repitition.

Part of my desire to make the tincture work is that I have read that THC is approximately 50% bioavailable sublingually which is roughly equivalent to the bioavilibility of THC via smoking, whereas the percentage supposedly drops to less than 10% when consumed orally. I plan to try to experiment with the recipe I have seen here that mixes in coconut oil and lecithin in small portions with the decarbed cannabis, but considering my lack of access to a dispensary and given my general poverty, I am kinda throwing myself on the mercy of the forum here to ask: Can anyone tell me what the heck to do with decarbed flower to maximize my experience? Frankly I feel a little lost and kinda panicky since every “experiment” I try and fail costs me money I don’t have and at a loss of relief I desperately need.

2. Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture, RSO

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

We can help.:)

BNW

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Decarb is 240 F for 40 minutes uncovered.

Take 1 gram of decarbed buds (about the size of your pinky fingernail).
    Grind to dust
    Mix with just enough butter or cooking oil to make mud
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Chill till solid
    Cut into 4 pieces
    Eat 1
    Wait 2 hours
    if not stoned
    Eat a 2nd piece
    Wait 2 more hours
    If not stoned
    eat the last 2 pieces.

BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Tincture
    Decarb weed 240 F for 40 minutes
    Freeze 151-190 proof ever clear
    Pour super cold booze over decarbed weed and shake 10 seconds
    Squeeze out with potato ricer or garlic press.
    You only need just enough alcohol to agitate the weed.
    [​IMG]
    I use a full fifth of booze to a near full quart jar of bud scraps.

[​IMG]

Press out with a ricer.

[​IMG]

I get back about 2/3rds of the booze back as Tincture.

BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. What is your decarb method?
    Are you straining your tinctures?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. @Fichte

In general well made edibles are 5x as strong and last 10x as long as the same amount smoked.
    Switching to an all edible method will cut your costs to a 1/4 or less then you were spending smoking the herb.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. There are options. You can eat decarbed buds for one not too tasty option.

You can add the decarbed buds to oil or butter for an infusion. Infusions can be used in recipes or by itself. Then you strain off the plant material, leaving you an infused oil/butter.

To maximize an oil infusion lecithin works great. You can buy it in liquid or a powder. It make the cannabinoids more available for your body to uptake.
    Sunflower lecithin is recommended over soy lecithin due to the gmo's in soy. Highly recommend.

There is also the option of a tincture with alcohol. The highest proof alcohol works best. I personally wouldn't go with less than a 190 proof alcohol for efficiency.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. There's lots of ways to use decarbed cannabis and we'll help you explore them but first, as mentioned above, we need to start with your decarb process. Without that you have nothing so that's the most important. As we see above, you're going to be bombarded with various things to do and it may be a bit overwhelming since you're so new to the concepts. Just take it slow and easy and we'll help.

What kinds of things do you like? You can go a variety of ways with oils and with tinctures. Tinctures in my opinion have more versatility than oils but it's all good.

So, how do you decarb? :huh:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thanks so much everyone, especially BNW! I intended to try both your methods BNW, I greatly appreciate all the detail and I will pursue both methods immediately. This is definitely going to change my life; I'm very excited! One question before I dig in earnest: am I misunderstanding the method for "applying" tinctures correctly? Iow, is it true that I should be burning the shit out of the inside of my mouth trying to hold it under my tongue for 30-90 seconds, or is the efficacy of the method so substantial that it is unnecessary to try to do this, and the tincture is just functioning as different kind of edible and I should just drink it?

Again, thanks so much! And now I'm off to make some stuff. Woohoo!

10. Thanks so much. I have been decarbing in the oven as described here basically: grind weed, bake it at 235 for about 45 min.

11. Sorry Sam I shoulda put this in my first reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "what kinds of things do you like?" but as I said in op, but I'm just trying to get back to my normal stoney state I experienced from smoking, so I am in no way picky about means or methods.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. #13 MIW, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    I just want to tell you that your expectations are completely doable.

A lot of us gave up smoking for edibles. And some still smoke, but much less. For me I feel and breath much better.

In a way using edibles is liberating. No smell to worry about, nothing much to carry. And you can customize your edibles. I have several edibles for day time, and some for sleep, some strong and some weak.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Well, I meant just that. What kind of things do you like? Do you like things made with honey or agave or maybe some infused sugar in your morning coffee or a dish of strawberries? These are just a few things that you can do with tinctures. You can even infuse oils. You don't have to burn your mouth with it. You can add it to any drink or swish it with a shot of water for no burn at all.

Since you can only ingest cannabis now you will need a variety of mediums to offset building too much of a tolerance to one thing. Here's a table of contents that lists a partial lineup of things that can be done with tinctures. Although many of the things there are old, they are still viable and can give you an idea of the possibilities. :)

Index/Table of Contents
    for
    Another Tincture Thread....Try It, You'll Like It!

• Like Like x 2
  14. 151-190 proof is wicked undiluted to the oral tissues. I actually like the burn and embrace it knowing it carries my stone with it. Cut with a equal amount of water to lower the burn. Or just work up a good mouthfull of spit before shooting the eyedropper of tincture in your mouth.

Tincture is absorbed in the mouth or stomach for the most part and should hit hard and fast like smoking. Delta-9-THC. I use it for that right now effects but it dosen't have much staying power to me. An hour is about all i get from an eyedroppers worth.

An Edible oil on the other hand is mostly processed by the Liver and it changes Delta-9-THC into the much stronger and longer lasting 11-Hydroxy-THC. This is the stuff that will make you see GOD if you take to much.
    Much longer to get cranked up 45 min to 2 hours depending on the oil used. Effects can last 6 to 24 hours.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 1