Guitarist Talk

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by ganjawrestler13, Jun 26, 2014.

1. I scanned a few threads and thought to myself, "man it's all about rap" so I figured I'd add a little classic stoner edge and make a guitarist only thread! Anything guitar related is welcome, your favorite guitar, favorite song to play, and of course; favorite song to listen to when you're baked! My personal favorite to play is Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. my favorite guitar to play on is a Carvin any model, as far as favorite song to play I have only ever learned one song, it's called straight no chaser by Thelonious monk, after that never learned another song. Hate to learn others songs for some reason, I guess the very little time I do have to fool around on the guitar I just rather spend it just enjoying it how I want to, just to be a hobbyist of it without having any particular goal in mind every time I reach to pick it up. Basically I am saying I have excepted my fun enjoyable mediocrity for now for hopes of a day when maybe ill have the ambition again to grow my prowess on the guitar more . !Favorite song to listen to baked!, nothing in particular but it's most likely going to be some sort of death metal, But if I am around people ill spare them their ears with some smoother relaxed listening. Here is my sound cloud https://soundcloud.com/omniusanity.

3. I've never heard of carvin guitars but I just did some research and their nice! I'm a Gibson guy but I swear by Washburn acoustics

• Like Like x 2
  4. I love my guitars! Been playing some Clapton lately.

Sent from my Event using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #5 p42082, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
    I started a thread for blades to post their favourite guitar covers, it didnt do to well, I only started it because I wanted some inspiration.
    Im subbed, been learning for about a year now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carvins are pretty sweet. I've only ever seen 2, the construction, fit and quality of materials were superior to *almost* every gibson I've seen. Any new Gibson, has been a mediocre play at best, and usually you can find a flaw somewhere, paint drip or excess glue around neck joint. I love Dean and old Epi electrics. As far as acoustics go, Martins are great but the price is stupid. Ibanez, and Yamaha make some great mid range axes. 
    Right now favorite song to play- Nutshell AiC

7. Nutshell is a beautiful song in and of itself but when you're playing it, it's like you're mind is on a journey *excuse the stoner wording* I definitely respect anyone who digs Alice in Chains too, another thing I've been getting into lately is playing Metallica. I have an Epi Les Paul cherry sunburst and a Fender R15 amp that I don't play much (I'm a hardcore acoustic guy) so one day I just cranked the drive all the way up and let it happen lol no ragrets

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Metallica is awesome. Chunky power riffs all the way. Sabbath is also quite fun, treb-10 mid-10 bass-10 gain-10 easy settings. Mid scoops are fun for metal in general as well.

9. Agreed, metal is painful on the ears to some people but if you look at the instrumentals, playing a metal concert is the musical equivalent to running a marathon

"Every living thing on Earth dies alone"

10. #10 mercinariesgtr, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    I agree on the carvins, they are pretty nice guitars you really get your dollars worth (although i have never played one). I would get a ct6 over a prs anyday. Im a big les paul guy though, currently got an 83 burny lp custom with semour duncan whole lotta humbuckers, an edwards(2014) 130 als with seymour duncan antiquities and a 76 ibanez les paul. Got an ovation and a custom shop relicd strat too but idk i play it for music that needs a strat but they arent really my thing. I mainly use a marshall 1987x clone i built w/ vintage spec components through a 1960av but have a few other amps i run (carvin x100b, phaez daisycutter, a 2x12 for practices, etc) . Currently diggin phish, been playing some stash, yem, bathtub gin, slave to the traffic light, a little rush ( la ville strangiato). tightening up my since i ve been loving you. I play a whole lotta zeppelin, sabbath, classic rock, some modern stuff like phish. My band does mostly jam bandy things along with some classic rock/blues.

A little pron(i do have 4 knobs on the burny now too):
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. #11 mercinariesgtr, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    This is why i dont have any gibsons(used to have one but got rid of it), had to get my edwards from a music store in japan but worth it. There are so many better quality guitars that can be had for the money that one would spend on a gibson, its kinda like harley davidson (not trying to start any shit, just sayin)

12. I have a Washburn accoustic/electric that I won off Goodwill. The bad thing was it came from Cali and they didn't loosen the string before shipping it and the bridge was pulled up about a quarter inch. I pulled it off flattened it down and bolted it back on. It's become a great busking guitar. I have Yamaha I bought in '82, the ex took a hammer to it and knocked a whole in the front of it and threw it in the yard but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. I also have a Silvertone that I did a Johnny Cash on to sell, but decided to hang it on the wall like art.

13. Life lesson; never let women near your guitar, especially when they're pissed lol. On a serious note though, I'm sorry for you're loss my little brother just broke the head stock off his les Paul that he saved up for from the past 3 years. He was heartbroken (little does he know I'm gonna surprise him with a new guitar this weekend)

"Every living thing on Earth dies alone"

14. I actually play the ukulele. 

*waits for tomatoes to be thrown at her face*   :eek: 

I do love to jam with my friends who play guitar -- and they all admit it adds this really cool "folk" feel to the rock vibe we usually have going on. 

My guilty pleasure is to play stuff by the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Muse.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thats a (pretty) common thing with them due to the angle the headstock is at, you can drop a strat 100 times and not break the head off, an lp goes over once and it may be fatal. Fortunately most of the time its very repairable, even DIY repairable. just gotta get some clamps and some nice woodglue (titebond for example)

16. I just tried out my Digitech Supernatural Ambient Reverb today.  Makes a guitar sound almost like a synthesizer.

Which pedals do you guys have?

17. #17 squidrick420, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
    My guitars! I have an ESP LTD for my 6 string and a Washburn Taurus as my bass. I mostly play metal but I am also trained in jazz, blues, and classical (hence the trumpet in the case behind the guitars. I play the bass in my metal band and I love it, it gets me through all of our shows and has held up on the road better than I expected for a cheap bass. The guitar is excellent as well, I have only gotten to use it on stage once but it does everything I need in terms of playing at home and writing for my 1 man black metal project that I haven't really named or recorded yet. I run it through a line 6 spider 120 2x10 combo for home use but I am planning on getting some kind of tube amp and using a half or even a full stack. I am using a half stack on the bass for live shows running it through a Hartke 450 watt amp into a 1x15 cabinet with a tweeter for extra treble. I used to use a 4x10 cabinet but it belonged to our old drummer and he kept it haha.

The pic quality is shit and from my phone. You can tell I am used to playing fast btw by the region of the sticker on my bass that has been removed by my wrist and rubbed down to nothing but shiny silver lol.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. I used to run pedals but as of now my line 6 has everything I need in terms of effects. I had 3 main pedals though. A Dimebag Darrell distortion pedal, death metal digitech distortion, and a boss phaser. I really want to stop using digital effects though and move into the analog stuff to get that pure old school tone. 

Nice!  I got the MXR Analog Chorus, MXR Micro Flanger, IS9 Tubescreamer, DigiTech Supernatural Reverb, Catilinbread Heliotrope, Noisemakers Arcade, DT Synth Way, DT Hyper Phaser, EH Analogizer, Tc Flashback Delay, Rucci Ring Mod.

I would recommend Noisemakers Effects as they are very affordable and analog-esque.

20. I love the sound of an Analog Chorus! Really spacey stuff haha. From what you are running it sounds like you can pull out some cool tones. I want to look into some more bass effects in the future, I don't really need them for what I do live but there is so much room for bass manipulation that I feel like it will open up a new world for my bass stuff. I want to get an old school Primus tone going but I will probably need to run my bass through a full stack that has 1x15 and 4x10 cabinets to get the full range of output tones going so that I am not limited on the low or high ends.