Full spectrum, broad spectrum, true watts???

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by closetbubblegum, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Moving on from hid to led. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. 'full spectrum' is a bit of a misnomer. Full spectrum would imply that it has a wide range of different colors/wavelengths in the color spectrum, but it's usually the opposite. Lights promoted as 'full spectrum' lights are actually 'targeted spectrum' and only have a few specific wavelengths of light such as the red/blue panels that are trying to target the chlorophyll A/B charts.

True watts are the only thing to look at. Honestly if a company isn't listing their true watts it's a huge red flag cuz it's just a marketing gimmic calling a light a 1000XL if it's only putting out 400w. Same thing with terms like 'full spectrum'..another red flag and marketing term. Another red flag is if they don't list the brand and type of leds and drivers they are using.

Most lights with high end white leds are gonna be the way to go. Simply search for lights that are using the latest samsung tech and you'll be solid. I think currently samsung lm301b is the top end. I think they came out with a horticultural version too that's a h301b or something like that, but I recommend stick with the lm301b's. The idea being that they are more efficient and you are growing with brute force rather than, again, trying to mimic targeted spectrums and losing efficiency in the process. It's almost like we're moving backwards in theory sometimes...starting by focusing on red/blue, then switching to all whites cuz they were found to work better for the same amount of watts. Now these white led board companies and transgressing back to adding colored lights back into their white panels :roll:

If you can do some simple DIY, you should just build your own panels, there's plenty of people around to help you figure out parts lists and stuff. If you can measure drill and saw stuff you can build your own lights. Depending on oyur budget and abilities though there are some great premade panels out there HLG is where I would go thorugh for prebuilt or kits, second to that probably spider or mars cuz I've heard good things about them here but I haven't used their panels personally. I have used HLG's stuff and I'm very happy with it.

For reference I used to grow under HID for years..hps, mh, cmh all sort of wattages, vertical and horizontal set ups, tables, stadiums etc...Once I started using the newer flat panel white led boards, aka quantum boards from HLG, I switched everything over and never looked back. I get better yield per watt, better yields per area, higher quality buds (imo) that smell and taste better, easier to manage heat, more headroom, no more extra money for bulb changes every 4 months ... I could go on and on. I've also used the red/blue gimmicy panels and they are junk...they grow weed but they don't compare to high quality white panels.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 3K Flower
    3.5K Start to Finish
    4K-5K Veg, Clones, Moms, Seedlings

Watts really doesn't mean anything, depending on the efficiency of the diodes it can vary.
    You want to look at the PPFD footprint of the fixture and choose based on your needs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. #4 Vee, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021

check Bugbee on YT, hes got a deal going with the Migo Irish guy

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Not sure "full spectrum" and "broad spectrum" are all that different.
    True watts matters a lot.
    Today's most efficient LEDs can grow well under 25-30 true watts.

My minority view is that cheap lights work well, and that name brands like HLG are overpriced and benefit from being over-hyped.
    Paying $1 or more per true watt is unnecessary.
    Even amazon has some good ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. No amazon does not have these quality lights. Buddy ordered some, not even half these. So he ordered like mine and loves em'.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Thanks to everyone for the info. I decided on the HLG 600 Rspec. It has the. Quantum boards with Samsung LM301h and deep red 660nm leds. I live in the south , so moving on from the heat generated by Hid , and the expense to keep um cool will be a welcomed change. I’ve learned a lot here. Thanks for the help

• Like Like x 3
  8. I’m sure I’ll be hittin y’all up for advice on how to make um do work. I purchased 2 and will be to working a 10x5 area.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The only full spectrum bulbs that are woth a damn are CMH. Mixed with led is nice results. Leds have the potential & will be full spectrum 365nm-800nm for many upcoming. Here's a pretty full spectrum chip I'd only wanna add a broadband uva chip too on a dimmer + timer. A bunch of ways to up the efficiency by adding certain diodes. Basically you don't need monos to have a high cri in the right place + HE. All in one chips are more readily available now.
    I See a real nice 90 cri boosting 195lm/w with a Hella horticultural spectrum. One chip.
    So yeah, unfortunately the majority in the mkt are using 70 or 80cri, regular white, adding 660 for efficiency. White chips aren't full spectrum unless picking up at 400 & ending at 800nm imo. Cyan gap filled n then some. Going out to 800 is about 30% more red that was never there, covering Emerson effect +. If you find a full spectrum led fixture pls show us. I have one. But pushed for it to be made & boy I'm glad I did. And even that could use improving. Screenshot_20210224-001415_OneDrive.jpg

• Like Like x 1