Float valves need service!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jollyrancher1, Apr 21, 2021.

1. I went to put clones in my clone tank and I noticed a bit of water leakage.
    UH OH!
    It turned out that the float valve seal had turned to goo after 10 years.
    I decided to post this as a reminder for growers to check this stuff once in awhile as they don't last forever.
    Saved myself from a flood.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. What type of float valve are you using? My replenishment water is controlled by a small float valve supplied from a tank, gravity feed. Are yours plumbed to the house psi?

3. Mini Float valves by Kerick.

I use R/O, I have a unit plumbed to the grow tanks and clone tank.
    20+ lbs of pressure and have been good for over 10 years.
    Nothing lasts forever.

4. Thanks. That’s the one that I use. Are you using an in line psi regulator to keep at 20 psi?

5. The R/O unit monitors the water pressure as high pressure can ruin the membrane.
    I don't use a regulator, nor should I have to as the water pressure is not that high.
    I actually found replacement seals for the valve!
    $1.50@, however the shipping was very high ($20.00!).
    I justified the purchase by ordering 6 of them.
    If I have to replace them every 10 years, I guess I will............

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Good info, thanks. My fresh topping off tank is 10 gallons, gravity fed to the float valve. During the peak of growth when transpiration is rapid I need to fill the top off tank every 2-3 days for my to flowering plants. It also tops off my Veg reservoir, but that requires much less water.
    After reading that you have success with the 20 psi driving the float valve I think I'll try something. An inline pressure regulator for drip irrigation systems will work. I know that I can find a 20 psi regulato, probably with Barb fittings.
    Thanks for chiming in regarding the seals on your valve. It has motivated me to try this, something I've pondered over the years. The thought of a flood in my Grow room while on vacation has deterred me from trying.

7. You are required to flood your grow area/place at least once to pacify the hydro gods.

The worst is stepping out of bed and immediatly your foot is soaking wet.......

8. Been there
    Done that
    Got the badge to prove it!

9. I have been looking at options to manage my reservoir levels without drilling another hole in my reservoir.

Thinking about trying something like this.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

10. Looks good, but you have to be aware that the "soup" is very caustic and will probably effect the sensors.

11. I'm not sure if that was a response to my post. The sensors in my photo will read through 20 mm of plastic or glass. No penetration required. If it was not directed at me I apologize for putting in.

12. The sensors attach to the outside of the reservoir and they read density. Similar to RV holding tanks.

13. I thought the sensors needed contact with the soup.

The "safest" method I have found is a reserve (about a gallon) siphoning into a float valve.

Then, if you flood it is only a gallon, however you have to keep topping off the reserve every few days, ie lug water. I did that for several years before I finally got fed up with lugging water and plumbed the R/O system into the grow and clone tanks.

Over 10 years without a flood, however the float valves do require some PM it seems (like every 10 years).

They might require more PM if I used tap water.

• Like Like x 1