First time grower

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Tokipokiokidoki, Mar 7, 2021.

1. #1 Tokipokiokidoki, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Hello everyone, just started my new setup. 4x4 tent, vs1000, 6" outtake, inkbird temp/RH combo. Running a heater in the surrounding room, humidifier inside the tent. Keeping temp at 72 (+-4) and RH at 45 (+-4). I added a blurple starter light as well, buying a larger light this week as I intended for a small grow but turned into 5 plants in 3-3.5 gallon pots. So the 2.5x2.5 coverage isnt going to work. For the soil I used a neutral potting mix. Added some peatmoss, castings, 4-4-4, and 2-8-3. Planted a fem Maui Wuai, Wedding Cake, 2 Berry Ryder and a Barney NYC Diesel.
    All the plants have the same amount of growth, 8-9 inches tall, spliting off everywhere, just started LST with just a top wrap for now.

My first question: During my early veg, should my light be closer (12-18in) and dimmer (25%) or further away (24-30) and brighter (100%)?

Second question: Do these look healthy? The light/pink stem suggests to me that made my light is too intense, hence my first question.

Thanks in advance for reading this. If you see something I did wrong or misspoke on, please let me know. I educated myself as much as I could prior to starting and finally had to get hands on.

(The 1st pic - that leaf on the left was tucked in the wire wrap weird and noticed when i got home, thats why he looks all weird)

Attached Files:

2. Hi Toki,

What is the light over them now and what'sthe one ? How much wattage can it produce?

For seedlings, don't over do it with the light intensity or being too close. They need leaves to make use of it and for heat dissipation.

Once they're mature enough, you can increase light intensity. The distance from the plant will depend on the plant’s reaction to the light. Watch for signs of heat stress and act accordingly to what the plant tells you.

I don't think the light is the cause of the pink stems. It could be the strain. Otherwise it could indicate a P deficiency.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've got a VS 1000 over it at about 14inch @ 25%. Out of seedling stage, on to early veg.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just picked up a TS3000 for it. Should i full max it? Or leave it at 50% for now? Plant is 1.5 feet tall

5. Max it out, adjust light by height from now on

• Like Like x 2
  6. 450 watts ought to grow you some damn fine nugs!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. yeah thats a good starting point. Im betting your soil holds to much water.

• Like Like x 1
  8. So after a lot of different lessons learned lol, I finally got my setup stable and producing properly. When I first posted, I had multiple seeds going, some didnt sprout, some did. Some died, some didnt. Had a crazy gnat fly problem (guessing HD worm castings were origination). Had plastic 3 gallon pots with drain holes, switched to 5g cloth pots, transplanted and realized the 3 gallons were root bound and not even close to flipping. I also think I over-topped them and bushed them out to much (only 26in tall and just now sexing)

With all that said
    I know have a 4x4 and a 4x8
    I run Inkbird Pro controllers in both
    The 4x4 has the VS1000 in it with the two bushed photos, recently flipped the week (just trying to produce and move on)
    The 4x8 has the one auto that made it through (it started flowering 16 days ago) and 8 auto seedlings to start the new cycle (9 start, they flower, start 9 more, total of 18 intermittently). I run a 6" 440 filter with a TS-3000 at 90%. Adding the second light when these start to flower. 6in tube to connect tent together at top. Air purifier ported into the bottom of both. Slight negative on both when fully running and closed. Both tents sit close to the same for Temp/RH. Trying to stay in range of proper VPD. I get close at 75air/72leaf and 60-63%RH.

The flowering auto top measures at 31in from the soil. LST as much as possible. Most othe branches are 22-28in. Other than organic amendments in the base soil, I top dressed after 1 month/first flowering. Water till harvest now.

Questions I do have:

1. My tips started to twist. At first they looked white, the size of the tip of a pen. But it was actually the underside of the leaf tip. 25% of the leafs, no sag, no sides curling. But then... it went away. Any ideas?

2. Will my buds grow fat first or start changing color first? Mixture?

9. Should I defoliate any?

Attached Files:

10. It’s hard to tell about defoliation without seeing the whole plant. Generally if you can see through your plant from the side and too, you don’t need to defoliate. Also, the color of your buds are breed specific and can be affected by lower night temps. And the closer you get to harvest the colors should intensify.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks everyone! Its looking good, tricomes just started forming, day 60. Buds have now fattened up to the point where they are touching each other. Cant wait.

Question: Can I use Sodium Thiosulfate to declorinate? Or will it expel too much ammonia?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Whats everyones process the day of harvest? Do you let it sit in darkness for 48 hours? Do you score the trunk and leave for a week then chop it down? Half dry it in pot then hang it?

Does this look ready? Its like 30%/30%/30% Clear/Cloudy/Amber

Attached Files:

13. Not ready. 2-3 more weeks. Ive tried a lot of different things. Im leaning toward watering, waiting 2-3 days, then 48-72 hours darkness, then chop. That way the plant never gets to dry in the pot but by the time the darkness cycle is over, they would definitely be due for a watering. That being said, I havent noticed much difference whether i chop after a period of darkness or how far from the last watering its been. If the house is super dry, i would want the plant more wet when i chop. If the house is humid, i would want the plant more dry when i chop... but that all comes down to the drying process which getting right is a whole complicated process of its own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thank you guys! Im going to wait a bit, ill post a pic next Thursday