Finishing times, Photoperiod, Latitude, and how it all works!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by dankohzee, Aug 16, 2008.

1. I know people who grow khudzu to shade their plants into mid summer to provide shade and alow plants to flower earlier

2. I control when i flower using frames, wire and black plastic. All my plants are in containers that can be moved if needed. Ill "black out" at 7pm and open up at 7am starting the end of june till week 6 then you no longer have to black out as the plantsrecognize the shortening of the days and continue to bud. Been doing this 7 years like this and according to the butane honey oil i produce my outdoorstands up to and surpasses alot of the indoor grown local here in wa state

3. Do u think I am too late with my seedlings guys.I live in 41 north latitude and my seedlings just showed upside the soil.Solo cups now will put them in window for few hours daily till they get stronger.After that transplant in 20 gallons pots guerila growing with at least 9 hours sun daily,ty...

4. I don't care what anyone says- HID lights just can't do what the sun will. Outdoor is where it's at as far as yield and quality.

5. So I live in florida, and as far as my research goes. (In my part of FL anyway) I can always flower outside. If I veg inside, then stick them somewhere outside to flower they do phenomenal.... To my experience too. We never get more than 14hrs light

6. lots of great info, thanks!

by the way, I've heard the plants will start producing flowering hormone below 5 lumens, not sure how accurate that is

7.  You should be ok. You more than likely wont have super monsters or anything, but u should be ok still. Most people are just getting ready to put their plants outdoors now. Most vegged inside for a few weeks to months just to grow monster bushes 3+ lbs plants. But u should be ok as long as you have a fast strain. Dont know your exact location, but with an 8-10 week flowering strain u can still pull some buds.

8. I'm transplanting 2 seedlings tomorrow.  Not an ideal situation by any means but due to my job it's the best I could do.  I live at 48 degrees (north) latitude.  1 is an autoflower (BCN Diesel) and the other is a Power Skunk.  Both are feminized.  If I can get an ounce total I'll be happy.  I could buy weed cheaper than what my expenses will be for this but at least I know what I'm getting.  And breaking stupid laws makes me happy!

9. #89 jonnyganjaseed, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013
    *bump*

10. Why on earth would anyone EVER want to shade their plants? Shade will not "allow plants to flower earlier" - at all, by any means, whatsoever. All shade is going to do is give you small plants.

No offense to you Hybridky, but tell your friends that they are being quite silly.

J

11. nice!

do people still read old posts or their responses? 

12. #92 bongwater923, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
    Great stuff bro! So...am I correct in surmising that if I start my outdoor photos in October at lat. 31, west hemisphere, that they will grow as if under 12/12 indoors?    peace...bongwater

13. Yall guys are so wrapped up in this number... 12/12 its silly. Every plant, depending on ancesctry, is going to bloom hardest at a diffetent light cycle. It isnt that the plant notices the gradual change, its when the plant is in the dark long enough to inhibit the production of toc inhibitors. Again, this will be different for every plant. If you live in a place where you are concerned about cold killing your shit. BUILD YE A HOOP HUT. GET YE A PANDA CLOTH. YE SHALL BLACKBOX. You cant ask plants to do in your or climate what they evolved doing in another. Take control. Are you growing weed, or watching weed grow?

14. I just took a look at the accuweather extended forecast for northern Minnesota and good news!  No temperatures below 32 degrees in the forecast for the next 2 weeks.  I didn't get my seedlings in the ground until the 1st week of July so there's still hope to get a little bit of bud.  I haven't been to the site in a month and they were about 2 feet tall at that time and I won't be there again until 9/27.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

15. But how do I know which strains will do well in my area?

Is it true that the closer to the equator the more sativa dominant and the farther away the more indica dominant strains should be grown outdoors?

16. very informative, keep it up, cleared up some issues i had  :hello: 

17. Excellent article.  One practical application I'll mention regarding photosensitive seeds.

I'm in zone 10b in southern Florida.  When I first starting growing weed outdoors, all my plants were flowering way too early and small --  until I figured out that every day where I live in terms of latitude the nighttime is more than 10 hours. 

So I found an article that suggested using artificial lighting - since my plants grow outdoors, but near my patio,  I already had a light source.

So all I do is turn on the lights from 10:30 pm to 11:00 pm every night when *I* want my girls to stay in vegetative stage.  Conversely, when I want my girls to begin flowering, I just leave the lights off all night.  So simple and yet so profound an effect.  

Of course your mileage might vary based on where you lived, but I hope this helps someone.  

18. Hope someone can endorse that last tip as it sounds so easy, and could be precisely what I'm looking for. Still struggling to get to grips with this light cycle stuff, but I'm getting there, incrementally.

I'm in the Windward Islands of the Caribbean, similar latitude as Florida, and I'm wondering if it's possible to get more than one harvest a year, and if so, what are the optimum planting times ? I've been told that late March - April is prime time for the northern hemisphere,  which is when I started my first little crop this year. I'm consuming the result of it now - they didn't get that big, but it was an encouraging start.

So what about a second harvest ? Is it worth planting any seeds now ? ... I'm relying on the abundant Caribbean sunshine for the veg cycle too, but something is chomping my seedlings.

19. Good stuff here

Sent directly from my mind

20. How do I sticky?!!