Female pollen help?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Dinner, Mar 1, 2020.

1. I've been trying to make female pollen with my current batch. I do not believe it is working since the treated branches are showing pistils. I'd like to get some more info from someone with experience.

I treated 4 branches of a single plant.

This plant showed remarkably fast growth so I thought it would be a good idea to breed it. Since I have no males or pollen of any kind, I decided to make some cuttings. Most cuttings took roots and are currently in another separate environment.

The branches were labelled 1,2,3 and 4.

1 and 3 were sprayed with a fine mist spray bottle, containing a solution of gibberellic acid 100 ppm. This solution had a little detergent because I don't have any lab surfactants.

2 and 4 were treated with what I believe is silver thiosulfate. I made this solution on November 2nd 2020, from sodium thiosulphate and a solution of silver nitrate. The thing is this solution was made the 4th of April 2019, it could even be from 2018 because I am a dumbass who forgot to write down the year. It was stored inside a fridge on a brown glass bottle covered with aluminum foil. I suspect this solution didn't work because of how unaffected 2 and 4 seem by the treatment, also because my hands didn't show small black freckles after applying the treatment.

2 and 4 were not sprayed on but rather had 2 cotton wads (each, so a total of 4) strapped around them, which were given 1 ml of the solution (each).

The schedule was as follows:

1 and 4 were treated once a day at lights out. For 10 days, starting with the first day of 12/12 photoperiod.

2 and 3 were treated once a day at lights out. For 10 days, starting 5 days before the 12/12 photoperiod change. So they were treated 5 days during the 18/6 photoperiod, then photoperiod was changed to 12/12, and 5 days of treatment followed.

I like using gibberellic acid because it doesn't stain and it's cheaper here than colloidal silver or silver thiosulphate. So it would be ideal to be successful using it and not any of the silver methods.

The plant I used is of doubtful origin. I had this idea in my head that only non feminized (once identified as a female) could be used to make female pollen. So I made sure the plant I used wasn't feminized. Is it possible for an already feminized plant bought from a seed bank, to be turned into a male using any of these treatments?

What could be making this treatment fail? I mean besides the fact that the silver thiosulphate solution was probably a dud.
    Any help is welcome. Period of treatment, which work, which don't, solution concentration too and methods of delivery also help. Anything you can think of please tell me. Thanks.

2. i preferably use collidal at 30 ppm for two weeks on 12/12 or until pollen sacks start to form. also you can do this to a feminized seed it does work. but you just wont get nearly as many male seed bit what ever right haha lol. for what your using came across this info may help you out. good luck happy growings.
    Gibberellin must be used carefully. Lower doses result in fewer male flowers. Higher amounts have an inhibitory effect. Lightly spray the tops of the plant for five consecutive days and then force the plants to flower by increasing the uninterrupted dark period to 12 hours a day. The sprayed area will stretch a bit, but within two weeks, the first signs of male flowers will appear. They will be ripe and ready to release pollen in another two weeks.

For Best Results Use This Recipe to Create GA3:

use a solution of 0.01% (0.1 gram GA3 in a liter of distilled water).

Why Is Silver Thiosulfate More Effective then Silver nitrate?

Silver Thiosulfate induces more male flowers then silver nitrate plain and simple.

How To Use Silver Thiosulfate Properly?

Spray the plant until the liquid drips off the leaves. Then immediately change the light regimen from vegetative to flowering. The leaves will droop and stop growing for a few days, yellow a bit and then regain turgidity. Male flower growth will become apparent in a couple of weeks. The flowers will ripen a few weeks later.

For Best Results Use This Recipe to Create Silver Thiosulfate:

Mix 0.1g silver nitrate in 100 ml (3.5oz.) distilled water. Stir rapidly until dissolved (Solution A). Mix 0.5g sodium thiosulfate in 100 ml distilled
    water. Stir rapidly until dissolved (Solution B). Pour Solution A into Solution B. Dilute Solution A/B 1:9 with distilled water. That is, add the 200
    ml of solution to a 2-liter container and fill to the top with distilled water. The solution is now ready to spray.

• Like Like x 1
  3. both Ga3 and STS are very old chems used way back in the day ..are not used these days due to the mutations that exist throughout many generations of the same strain eg.Skunk n01 in some phenos is an example
    Most use Collidal Silver easy made with a silver strip and 9v battery goog le for more

good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks guys.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. should you discover something new in this or get good results,please post
    thx

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I have tried twice to make CS with a pure silver wire and 9v battery, actually it was 3 batteries, and sprayed until the plants were dripping wet just before lights out on 12 & 12 cycle for three weeks. I didn’t get any male flowers. I sure wish I knew why.

I have been successful with STS. I want to learn how to use CS even if I need to buy it. What strength should I get and how should it be mixed?

7. Only water the outside perimeter of the container when the container is light enough to tip without difficulty. Spraying, even with the lights off, can invite fungus, mold, and pests.

Sent from my moto e6 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. You can feminize naturally via Rodelization.
    Harvest all but a few buds and let them go past their optimum harvest. They will produce female pollen sacs (nanners). Once the nanners are fully mature, but unopened (totally yellow and hanging down) gently remove them with tweezers and dry them out in a cool, dry place, until they are bone dry. Gently open the pod and remove the female pollen.
    After removing the nanners, re-veg and flip back to flower. Once pistils begin to aggressively flowering, use a very fine tipped paintbrush to selectively pollinate chosen pistils on the new buds. Let the seeds mature fully and voilã!: Feminized seeds!
    You can do this with different strains and cross pollinate, creating new crosses that can be grown out. Number each plant and pick the best phenotype of the bunch, then use that for cloning and further Rodelization and crosses, back crosses...
    Best of luck and happy growing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I understand the plant should be up and running when the solution is applied, I spray (either) first thing or when lights go on...also note the higher the voltage the larger the silver ions used...9vdc-15vdc is good
    .. to supress the ethylene cells I prefer CS its easier to understand, with GA3 you can get serious mutations with the plant as it switches sex..for me its most upsetting, and from now on work I'll with anything else, the GA3 spray encourages extreme stretching it freak me out.
    the laziest has to be the sts in buy in the bottle then apply I've not entertained that...as yet, but a buddy has beefed me by buying a bottle of CS in a local drug store and has with ease, flipped a girl with the bought stuff set at 50ppm.

cheers

10. You spray in the morning when the lights come on? I guess I had it backwards.

How often do you spray? How long do you keep it up?

The first time I tried making my CS with pure silver wire and a 9v battery and the second time I used three batteries. I sprayed daily for 3 weeks at lights out. It didn’t work either time. So I guess I will buy some 50ppm and try again.

11. I never spray with the lights on or off. I water the outside perimeter of the container to promote root growth as they search for pockets of oxygen in the soil. Also, you don't get light burning or create conditions for mold and pests...

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. one time per day ...at lights on

how long to keep it up = until complete pollen dropping
    but some strains you need not ...depends you learn after your first good job ..lol

cheers

13. Thanks Vostok. I have some 500ppm CS coming. I will dilute it to 50ppm and give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Just selectively harvest and let the girl go until you see nanners, then collect, dry, and selectively pollinate chosen pistils on the remaining buds (you will most likely have to re-veg, then flip again, to produce new, viable pistils). Let the seeds mature and voilà: Feminized seeds!