Fan leaves

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by one spot, Apr 13, 2021.

1. So have a bunch of pretty large fan leaves growing midway down. Wondering if I should chop these, or leave them. Definately blocking light (I didn't trim the plant at all. Had it growing extremely slowly under cfls, updated the light and it's shot up, so now just trying to make the most of what flower points it's got) They also seem to slowly be loosing colour. Thought I might just leave them, but wanted to see if there's any significant advantage to chopping them.

Added a couple of other pics I took, just so you can see how it's going

Thanks as always! IMG_20210411_112819_628.jpg IMG_20210412_175331.jpg IMG_20210412_180427_960.jpg IMG_20210412_180427_966.jpg IMG_20210412_180427_985.jpg

Sent from my KB2000 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. You don’t need to defoliate that plant. When you can see through your plant from the top and bottom it’s not blocking light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 Mad scientist, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Hi.
    They are fueling a lot of the growth as well as acting as nutrient sinks.
    Best thing is to learn to tuck or tie them into a position that doesn't get in the way of the undergrowth.
    Then when they start yellowing and drooping ,they're used up and can be trimmed.

Are you going for the most mass with your top main cola?
    If not you can train that one down so the lower colas can gain strength and mass.
    Looks like you're about 2 weeks into flower so you have multiple weeks to get those lower buds much fatter and taller.

Is that a sativa dominant strain?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wicked response, really appreciate that!!

The last few I've done I've topped and trained, but this one I literally sprouted it, bunged it in the soil and let it do it's thing. I hadnt even thought about training the main one.
    What would you suggest, just tying it so it leans over kinda thing?

Very good eye, cause it's literally just past two weeks I think.

Unsure of strain, it was a wee seed I found in my last one. Tbh, didn't even think it would grow lol. Unsure whether it's sativa dominant. Top/newer leaves look thin and skinny like sativa, but the lower ones are wider and look closer to a indica. Well, to me atleast

Thanks again for the response, bloody awesome.

5. Awesome! Thanks heaps. Think that might've been my problem with past ones, get a bit to snip happy thinking they can't get the light.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 Mad scientist, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Yeah, you can tie it over sideways. It'll give the others a chance to catch up a bit. Bend it carefully and tie it as you don't want to stress it too much this far along. It will try growing upwards again.
    I've trained a plant completely horizontal just by continually keeping the main cola (apex meristem) going sideways with ties.
    MJ is easily trained and can end up looking pretty funky but you'll decrease final grow height, increase
    bushy-ness(sp.?) and it will still taste just the same but with more prime colas.

• Like Like x 1
  7. You should definitely bend this girl over as recommended above. You can also pinch the stem and bend over (supercrop).

• Like Like x 1
  8. I agree, it looks like you could go up two nodes and squeeze the stem until you get it to lay sideways and put a net over her. Looks like it's still early enough to be done.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks heaps guys. Gonna try giving her a bend tonight, hopefully all goes well

10. Defoliation is a controversial topic. I have tried it about every way I can think of or have seen. In the end, I have settled on leaving the fans for the most part. If I take a few out because a plant is bushy, I tend to remove the large fans in the middle of the canopy that are attached to the main stem. The upper fans are getting the most light and doing a lot of heavy lifting. The lower ones are shading nothing and act as great nutrient sinks. To keep them from getting too bushy, I will pinch lower shoots and focus the growth to the tops.

All that said, defoliation is not as big a deal imo as it is sometimes made out to be. It won't hurt your plants in my experience. I have stripped plants of all their fans twice during flowering and they can definitely take it and it will generally produce some nice nuggets. I have had one strain (sweet zk) that produced way more frost when you sheared off most of her big fans. I have also found a few strains that don't love it. I have settled on pinching shoots and growing plants that don't shade their bud sites so I don't have to cut many leaves at all and can tuck most that are in the way. If I have to cut leaves, are usually do it gradually, like five or six a day until I get it where I want it. Don't be afraid to experiment.

I don't think that girl needs any defoliation and taking the opportunity to learn some training is a great idea. Especially until you can get your hands on some lighting with better penetration, you want to get that lady as flat as possible to get as much of her exposed to useful light. Good luck dude. Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  11. So, tried to give it a bend.
    Bit awkward cause it's a tight spot.

Will definately be training it earlier on the next one.

But, hopefully this is sufficient to allow a bit more light to those lower flower points.

Fingers crossed. IMG_20210414_173012.jpg IMG_20210414_173024.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. When you take the main stem and roll it very firmly between your index and thumb, you'll feel it start to loosen up then get squishy inside.
    It'll naturally want to fall over, but you can support it at the angle you want.
    A fat knuckle will form where you supercropped it but that's all good, its healing.
    If the outer skin breaks, get some wide tape and bandaid her up.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wicked! Might have another look tonight and try that.

Thanks again for your help.

Bloody wicked community on here.

14. Just a quick update, starting to look alot better. Didn't end up pinching the stem, but it's still going well.
    Cheers for the advice guys. IMG_20210419_181738_568.jpg