Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Evaporating alcohol

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by e1vm, Mar 22, 2019.

1. About three weeks ago I started soaking 1/4 ounce of bud in 1 cup of everclear. I hate the taste of the alcohol and am wondering if I can some how evaporate some of the alcohol to reduce the amount of alchohol that i have to ingest.

2. Do you have a coffee warmer? They plug in and just get warm not hot. Sit it on there, and let the alcohol evaporate slowly.

Or you can do a double boiler.
    Look for the dragon lite thread. It's all explained in there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cool, I'm on it, thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. I'm also seeing conflicting ideas. In a double boiler, should the alchohol jar, touch the water? I see some putting the glass jar in the bowl or boiling water. Some say the jar should be above the water and the steam should be contained in the bowl and not escape. Seems Dangerous to me with the steam build up in the lower bowl.

5. You might want to consider evaporating/boiling off all the alcohol, and adding some oil to replace some of it.

I did an explosion calculation to find out whether boiling it off on the stove is safe, and with covered electric stove burners and a fan, it is safe. But don't get near flames or sparks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Get like a flat pancake griddle and a Pyrex dish and a fan and open space lol avoid double boil technique but kinda same process, but cause you've soaked it for so long it won't be like a pic I have of a friends I taught how to do lol, obvi filter it still but YEAH good luck IMG-20181230-WA0004.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Avoid double boiler because it's alchohol or because double boiler weakens the strength?

8. No just cause you don't wanna blow up where ever you are LOL I'm stoned LOL someone somewhere in thread had issues or something ‍♀️ good luck g keep it ventilated and low heat cuz alchol evaporates at like 110 something googlenit still and prob use a thermometer during this and your laughing really

Edit; evaporating alcohol doesn't weaken it lol, you want to reduce it till it's an oil consistency and you've made rick simpson oil

Sent from my SM-G935F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Thank you, yes I figured it might be because it could explode.

10. No, the jar or whatever you have it in does not touch the water. That's the whole purpose of a double boiler. Leave the lid off. Just watch so all the water doesn't evaporate. The jar is in the top pan and the bottom one should just steam, not boil.
    It's best if you can find a coffee warmer or griddle, something you can set it on and it will be a low heat. Do you have a thrift store near you?

11. How about a vegtable steamer?
    Ok, so I messed this one up because I watched a video of a guy who put his jar directly into the water, in side a crock pot. It definitely takes a really long time to evaporate 1 cup of everclear. I have been evaporating one cup of everclear all day so far. It's almost evaporated but it's a long process. I used the vegtable steamer. I put the jar directly into the water and I also set in in top of the steamer like so.... Does it normally take that long?

12. No rice cooker ? This will faster your process. Another very primitive idea... still faster - take something bigger than the dish you have now, fill it with water and let the water boil - when the water boils, let your dish in it. Every 20minutes you must reboil the water again to keep it warm enough to evaporate your alcohol.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. Looks like I'll be buying a rice cooker. Another issue I'm having, which I'm not a fan of is...
    I burned a lot of the alchohol off and I guess I'm left with rick Simpson oil which is hard to manipulate/transfer. Do most people stop evaporating the alcohol before it gets to the point of tree sap consistency? There was a lot of product left in the bottom of the glass jar, that I couldn't really extract without adding more alcohol to lossen it up.

14. You can let all the alcohol evaporate if you want RSO but if you want tincture you'll stop evaporating while it's still liquid. If using 7g then I'd suggest stopping at 2oz of liquid then try it. When you added the alcohol to the RSO it then makes your tincture. Again, use 2oz of fresh alcohol to reconstitute it. If using 151 proof it becomes necessary to take it to the RSO stage because of the extra water. Then you can add fresh alcohol or butter/oil. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fan overnight.
    [​IMG]
    Use just slightly more alcohol then it takes to cover the jar of weed. Shake hard 10 seconds and it's done.
    [​IMG]
    I do a full fifth of Everclear to a near full quart jar of Cannabis.
    [​IMG]
    A full eyedropper for me. 2-4 drops for most people including my wife.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hey, thanks everyone, for all the advice, this community is awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Also, is it important that I see the alcohol bubbling or moving during the reduction process? I'm assuming the reduction phase is just that and that only? Used just for the means of reducing the alchohol?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. It will only bubble when the temp gets up to about 160°F but it is still evaporating at lower temps, just slower. It is just for reducing the alcohol which concentrates your cannabinoids. Stop reducing once you've reached your goal volume. :)

19. I am using a oil Heater I put a metal pizza pan on top of the heater and the dish on top since the oil Heater doesn't have any open flames I feel pretty safe and its evaporating faster than any other way I have tried but HEADS UP YOU CAN SMELL THE ALCOHOL EVAPORATING

• Like Like x 1
  20. So I have a oil Heater the oil fashioned kind that doesn't have a flame or any type of fire source it's electric and heated up the oil inside that runs through these tubes to heat up the house so after tons of tries double boiling using a electric skillet blah blah blah I had a brain storm so I put a small pizza pan on top of the oil Heater and the dish on top of that it's working better than anything else I have tried but HEADS UP YOU CAN SMELL THE ALCOHOL EVAPORATING THE SMELL IS LOUD SO DONT DO IT IF YOUR WORRIED ABOUT THE SMELL I JUST OPENED A WINDOW N TURNED THE FAN ON LOW POINTED AT THE CEILING
    :volcano::love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2