Electoral College, Popular Vote, Gerrymandering, REDMAP, GOP Voter Suppression & War on Democracy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChiefRunningPhist, Sep 12, 2020.

1. I dont think its really a matter of increased security to need a valid ID to vote - you need an ID for everything these days - as we should due to the amount of fraud in general out there.

No I don't think one should get fired if you need to leave a little early to go vote but its also not the governments deal to pay for your daycare for it and never has been.

The food and water thing is stupid.

j

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ok but do you understand that the GOP openly admits its not about election security? Do you understand that the GOP is trying to suppress votes? That they admit as much?

Can you see how adding obstacles for some Americans can depress the vote despite the fact that they are Americans and have a right to vote anyways? If the American lady can't find/pay a baby sitter so she can secure a voter ID, or the American guy doesn't have transportation or funds, ect then they don't get to vote? Do you see how these types of laws will essentially select for only certain voters (or exclude certain voters)? And all because of the non existent fraud (Were past elections full of fraud because they didn't have all the newly proposed voter laws?)?

Like I said, if you're truly after vote integrity, then ok, and off the top of my head idk how to offset whatever security or Voter ID law is passed (though I'm sure I could figure a way, sure its possible), but all I'm saying is that if voter integrity and ensuring free and fair elections is your motive then the suppressive byproduct of certain policies needs to be offset to actually ensure a free and fair election. But thats not what these laws are actually trying to do! In GA they went from 90+ drop boxes in 4 most populous counties to 20 something. Reduced absentee voting days by half (I think, have to look again). How is that making anything better or expanding access? The illegal handing out of water is also silly but also impactful, but its not just an isolated instance or a 1 off thing. This is happening all over and conveniently after GOP has had big losses and conveniently only by GOP state led legislatures. This is political! Has nothing to do with election security or fraud ect. They have admitted several times.

Though speaking separately from GOP suppression tactics, if you're a proponent of IDs in order to vote then imo they shouldn't cost anything, and there should be ways of mitigating circumstantial barriers for some, ie possibly get one through the mail ect. Idc if people want to make voter ID a mandatory thing, but It just can't be used to select for specific voters as it seems its currently intended to do.

You're making reasonable comments imo, but I also feel these policies will have an impact on the macro and from all the GOP quotes surrounding the topic, along with the timing in conjunction with their recent losses ect, it seems that's their intention. They are the party of Donald Trump after all.

3. Neither the whole GOP or Democratic parties mean anything to me. I don't follow them nor would I feel a certain way about an issue because one of these clownshows felt it was the right way/advocated it.

if you're truly after vote integrity, then ok,

Thats what I said isn’t it? Why else would I want ID’s to vote?

And of course ID’s should be free. I dont think they’re an awful lot but yeah - they shouldn't cost anything.

“If the American lady can't find/pay a baby sitter so she can secure a voter ID, or the American guy doesn't have transportation or funds, ect then they don't get to vote?

I really don't know what to tell you about that. Whats changed?

It’d be great if someone could come up with another method - maybe a vote by phone or something but as soon as you get computers involved theres too much risk of fraud. They’d also need to make sure the ID thing was in place. Other than that I’m open to suggestions.

j

• Like Like x 1
  4. Partisanship? Idk you man, just bein honest, and I'm less convinced that you don't sway towards a party, but I'm open to the possibility. I agree with your latter points and you're right, those instances can already be happening ect. I see the value in trying to create a bit of security as well. I just don't want whatever is passed to impede access when the actual problem that its supposedly trying to address is statistically miniscule.

5. "
    'The GOP controls a majority of state legislatures because of gerrymandering. Perpetrated largely in 2010, the GOP lost numerous state popular votes by large margins while rigging enough swing districts to take supermajority control of Wisconsin, Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Georgia, the Carolinas, Florida, Missouri, Texas, Arizona, and other key legislatures.'

The result of this control is an enormous spurt of recent bills253 of them, according to the Brennan Center for Justice — in 43 state legislatures, that would complicate voting for people of color as well as students and other young people. Some of the bills will make it into law and others won't; those that do will take their place next to an array of GOP vote-theft legislation that has found its way into being over the last half century, in the wake of the Civil Rights movement and passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which ended the Jim Crow era.
    "
    Voter Suppression: The Deep Roots of Racism in the GOP's Pursuit Towards Autocracy

Vote republicans out

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. No, we can't agree on that pile of nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rudy suspended from practicing law regarding his conduct of spreading lies about voter fraud that he knew to be nonexistent and false...
    "We conclude that respondent’s conduct immediately threatens the public interest and warrants interim suspension from the practice of law, pending further proceedings," the state appeals court wrote.
    Giuliani suspended from practicing law in New York over bogus election fraud claims

Vote republicans out

8. Trump DOJ seized data from House Democrats during Russia investigation
    "
    The Trump administration’s attempt to secretly gain access to data of individual members of Congress and others connected to the panel came as the president was fuming publicly and privately over investigations — in Congress and by then-special counsel Robert Mueller — into his campaign’s ties to Russia. Trump called the probes a “witch hunt,” regularly criticized Schiff and other Democrats on Twitter and repeatedly dismissed as “fake news” leaks he found personally harmful to his agenda. As the investigations swirled around him, he demanded loyalty from a Justice Department he often regarded as his personal law firm.
    "
    Trump DOJ seized data from House Democrats in leaks probe

Trump Justice Dept. seized phone records of reporters during Russian investigation
    "
    The Trump Justice Department secretly obtained the phone records of four New York Times reporters as part of a leak investigation, the newspaper reported Wednesday.

It is the third instance over the last month in which a news media organization has disclosed that federal authorities seized the records of its journalists in an effort to identify sources for national security stories published during President Donald Trump’s administration.

The Washington Post disclosed last month that the Justice Department had last year obtained phone records belonging to three of its journalists who covered the investigation into 2016 Russian election interference. CNN later revealed that the department had seized phone records of its Pentagon correspondent, Barbara Starr.
    "
    Trump Justice Dept. seized phone records of 4 NYT reporters

Politicizing branches of government to silence the opposition and save skin. Corruption and facism at its finest.

Vote republicans out

9. So much for the 1st Amendment

• Like Like x 2
  10. What was false about the ad?

It undermined the GOP/FOX News political propoganda which is the vehicle being utilized to advance the ulterior agenda. That's why it didn't air. It undermined the heavily invested (and politically useful), and for lack of better words, "piss on your shoe but tell you it's raining" routine.

11. GOP at it again. This time in Texas. Using the big lie to push voter suppression.

"
    The latest bills in Texas include new identification requirements for people voting by mail and prohibit local election officials from sending a vote-by-mail application to someone who hasn't requested one.

They also ban drive-through voting and extended hours during early voting. Republicans in the state argue that these innovations — which were mostly used by Houston officials during the pandemic — opened the door to voter fraud.

In addition, the bills expand what partisan poll watchers can observe during elections and prohibits poll watchers from being removed for violating election law. If passed, these bills would also create new criminal penalties for any election worker who "intentionally or knowingly refuses to accept a [poll] watcher."

Slattery said these bills basically give a host of new powers to partisan poll watchers.

"Both bills make it harder to control disruptive partisan poll watchers when they are acting aggressively or disrupting voting," he said.

The bills also create a slew of new criminal penalties and requirements for folks who assist voters at the polls, or people who assist others planning to vote by mail.

For example, they require that people fill out paperwork if they are taking someone who is not a relative to vote in person. And they require people to exit a car if there is someone voting curbside in that vehicle.
    "
    Texas Republicans Have A New Voting Bill. Here's What's In It

Smh... Vote republicans out

12. GOP looking to make voting more difficult in Michigan...
    "
    But SB 303 also requires every voter to sign a form before they can vote. The signature on this form must be examined by a poll worker and compared to “the elector’s digitized signature contained in the electronic poll book.” If, in the poll worker’s subjective determination, the signatures do not match, then the voter will be given a provisional ballot.

SB 304, meanwhile, lays out what happens to these provisional ballots. Essentially, a voter given such a ballot has six days to prove their identity and residency to the county or township clerk — something that they can do by showing many of the same forms of ID that they are already required to show at the polls.

Read together, the two bills create an absurd situation where some voters could be disenfranchised unless they make a special trip to the clerk’s office to show the same ID card that they already provided to the poll worker. Imagine, for example, that a voter shows their valid driver’s license at the polls, but a poll worker, for whatever reason, declares that the voter’s signature does not match. The voter then has less than a week to make a special trip to the clerk’s office to show the clerk the exact same driver’s license.
    "
    The right to vote is in jeopardy in the battleground state of Michigan

^^2 of the 39 newly proposed voting bills, because of course, non existent voter fraud.

Vote republicans out.

13. Whatever happened to registering with the supervisor of elections to vote prior to an election? At that time it's determined if you're eligible, your party affiliation and given a voter ID. On election day at your voting precinct your name is in the register and you proceed to vote with no problem. That was the procedure for my entire adult life and worked well. Anything less seems to invite fraud.

• Like Like x 3
  14. #57 ChiefRunningPhist, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    I think it needs to be federally standardized. I'm for a complete mail-in ballot, or a digital ballot verified with block chain (if I'm comprehending the technology correctly). What @cigarjack stated is fine too imo, but the convenience of mail in ballots seem to alleviate long lines and transportation logistics ect. Oregon amoung other states has been doing their voting by mail for awhile without issue. Imo it seems the most efficient way to obtain all American voices, but I'm not dying on any hill, on any one way in particular, I just don't want voter suppression. Ask yourself do all of these newly proposed/enacted laws actually make voting more secure? I'd have to say no, not really.

The left is up in arms about it, but the tactics used to margenalize the democratic voice may actually impact the republican voice more than traditionally thought. The demographics are morphing and things like voter ID may actually impact the right in a similar way. These laws could also end up triggering a vigorous backlash of voter participation, drive people to the polls out of emotion. Time will tell.

15. It absolutely needs to be standardized across the board with the same basic voting rules in every State.

Having different voting laws in different States is moronic.

j

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ***^^^^ This doesn't mean that I’m not for voters showing ID - because I am and feel its as important as having to show ID for the plethora of other things we need to show ID for.

The whole “no food and water while you’re in line at the Polls is completely asinine. Who the flying fuck is anyone to tell me where I can drink a bottle of water or eat a damn balogna sandwich.

Edit: I’m also completely fine with mail-in ballots; providing someone comes up with a way to show ID
    With the ballot - perhaps a scan of a drivers license or state issued ID - something that would work for all.

j

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. How did stimulus checks or social security checks get to their destination? The IRS doesn't require an ID for your federal tax return (though you can add one). I think there's ways of getting ballots to citizens without ID, but sure on its face I don't see an issue with ID, but I'm just not sure it's the only way or best way to go about it depending on the realities that exist. Idk each states id process or the macro stats on who owns and who doesn't and the hoops needed to jump through to attain, but when it comes to stimulus checks or social security ect they always seem to figure it out without an id. Voter id on face value isn't a bad idea imo but there are circumstances which would make it less valuable imo. This is just 1 possibly contentious proposition though, each one of these states is going above and beyond the possibly contentious voter id requirement, reducing drop boxes, reducing hours, shifting oversight power, ect, ontop of adding new steps that don't really increase security, but do make it more onerous.