Electoral College, Popular Vote, Gerrymandering, REDMAP, GOP Voter Suppression & War on Democracy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChiefRunningPhist, Sep 12, 2020.

1. A lot of truth here.

2. Too much money in politics.. It shouldn't cost a billion to run for president.
    There shouldn't be millions coming from out of state to fund congressional seats.
    Why do the same huge corporations donate to both presidential candidates?

I have no answers.. Just stating what I think is the obvious.

As long as billions of dollars are involved it opens the door to corruption, and opens the door to power hungry people to get involved in government. We are humans.. We are greedy creatures regardless of party.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Its a completely broken and outdated system - But I don’t have an answer as to how to fix it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nor do I.. But I'll sit back and complain on the internet all day lol

I mean if a shit ton of people stop donating their hard earned money to political parties that would help. But I say the same about scientology and they're still worth billions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Unfortunately I don't think there is a solution. Didn't the SCOTUS rule in favor of citizens united? The ruling that made superpacs and other corporate dollars perfectly legal under the "freedom of speech".

6. #26 DaPhats, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    As for having more parties. I think it's a good thing. We have 5-6 parties in every election up here but only 2 have ever won the national election, the Conservatives and Liberals. All the other parties, NDP (further left than liberals), PQ (a Quebec party), Green (environmentalists), and others have never run the country.

It usually leads to minority governments which means the parties need to compromise instead of just running roughshod over the country. They need to garner votes from the smaller parties to pass their legislation. I think the Brits went something like 50 years between majority governments. wow.

One quirk of the UK system that we use, a party can call an early election if the majority votes for it. So if the ruling party is a minority and the other parties team up and combine their votes they become the majority. They can then issue a a "Vote of non-Confidence" against the ruling party which triggers a new election. So if the ruling party pisses everyone off they can be forced into an early election and lose. It happens more often than you think. I don't believe early elections are allowed in the US at all, but I could be wrong.

It's pretty funny though, Trudeau won the last election but he lost the popular vote.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Ничего такого, что еще не было сказано.

Similar stuff in Norway and Denmark, which I've both lived in for enough years to feel that I've seen it work. I'm very pleased with the multitude of parties, and tend to vote for a different one each time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. I'm not sure what that means.

What's your take on the RNC admitting the reason for voter restrictions is political? Just curious what a progressive might say, you know voting being important to any party regardless of how many there are? What's your take on GOP gerrymandering and the REDMAP initiative? Does that help promote fair representation or a multiple party system? How about the attack on mail-in voting?

9. #29 ChiefRunningPhist, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Nothing new here...

"Some Republican officials have been blunt about their motivations: They don’t believe they can win unless the rules change. “They don’t have to change all of them, but they’ve got to change the major parts of them so that we at least have a shot at winning, Alice O’Lenick, a Republican on the Gwinnett County, Ga., board of elections in suburban Atlanta, told the Gwinnett Daily Post last week. She has since resisted calls to resign.
    "
    State Republicans push new voting restrictions after Trump’s loss

It's NOT about maintaining integrity. It's about maintaining power when people don't want to vote for them. They openly admit it. This is the rot that has become the GOP. Quit trying to provide cover for this corruption. This is NOT what land of the free means. Having trouble getting votes? Maybe change policy to include more people than just rich white guys, gee there's a great idea..

Vote republicans out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. The Republican candidate for president has lost the popular vote in seven of the last eight elections.

• Like Like x 1
  11. #32 ChiefRunningPhist, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Not good, McConnell/GOP obstructing Obama's SCOTUS and judges while the GOP rammed 3 of em through under Trump is showing here...
    Supreme Court likely to uphold Arizona voting restrictions

GOP - the party that's out there looking to use and abuse America.

Dems ain't perfect but it's not even close. Republicans are out fighting to restrict voting, fighting to keep wages low, fighting to repeal healthcare, fighting to keep marijuana illegal, ect, ect. FYI dems are fighting to increase voter access, fighting to increase min wage, fighting to increase healthcare, fighting to legalize MJ. Look at the issues. Look at the policies. It's a no brainer. Vote republicans out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. The House passed the "For the People Act," voting bill with every republican voting against.
    Screenshot_2021-03-17-10-46-20-1.png

What's in the bill you ask, what could the GOP be so against?...

"
    It would restrict partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts, strike down hurdles to voting and bring transparency to a murky campaign finance system that allows wealthy donors to anonymously bankroll political causes.
    "
    House passes sweeping voting rights bill over GOP opposition

It's now being fought in the senate by the republican senators. Every single republican representative voted agaisnt it, and now the senate republicans are obstructing its passage. The GOP is literally fighting to restrict voting access.

Look at the issues. Don't just blindly follow like sheep.

Vote republicans out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. I saw the part about not bringing food and water to voting lines and that’s stupid and ridiculous. I also saw that voters need identification and that is necessary IMO - for one thing to make sure that its US citizens voting but also to make sure folks don’t vote multiple times.

What else was there happening in GA?

j

• Like Like x 1
  14. Not only GA, but literally in 45 other states...
    samuels-mejia-rakich.VOTING-RIGHTS.0329-m.png
    The States Where Efforts To Restrict Voting Are Escalating

In GA:
    They opened voting where they wanted it and reduced where they didn't want. They passed this voter suppression law based upon the big lie. There was no wide spread fraud, there never has been, so to act as if we need to bolster security is a lie, and they've admitted it several times over (look at previous posts in this thread for links and examples).

Its not only about voter ID, its about the # of drop boxes, and voting hrs, and the assault on mail in voting ect. But speaking only on voter ID, its been well studied and documented that voter ID laws disproportionately hinder minority communities from voting. The IDs can cost money, and if they are free, then the travel costs and/or being given time off from work to secure is less likely (and less paycheck), as well as acquiring a birth certificate or SS card can be costly and a difficult barrier to traverse (depending on situation ect, I lost my SS card and birth certificate during a move and trying to secure ID without ID is a lengthy task, I still don't have a replacement SS card). GA had suspicious gubernatorial vote and just lost the senate, and GOP just lost the whitehouse. These laws (not just GA) are based on a lie, and timed when GOP lost bigly, the laws conveniently hinder typically democratic voters. This isn't about security as I've shown video after tweet after story ect, this is political. Its about reducing voting access to the opposition instead of being held accountable for their policies & shenanigans at the voting booth like intended. Making it illegal to give food and water out in line is just the middle finger to the people, but the changes seem to most significantly be targeted at reducing the possibility to cast early/absentee/mail-in voting, in GA.

GOP is trying to alter the rules to stay in power. They don't have the votes so they are trying to suppress. Corruption at its finest.
    Lindsey Graham says the Republicans will never win another presidential election if they don't 'do something' about mail-in voting

If you're an idependent then this should alarm you greatly (imo). Voting isn't a party issue. Its imperative to democracy regardless of party affiliation. Things like this can't be dismissed.

15. I need to totally disagree with you here. Anyone that wants to vote and especially in the bigger gubernatorial and presidential elections needs to show ID - period. This is 2021 and if you’re going to be a responsible enough adult to cast a vote in this country then you need to be responsible enough to carry identification. We need to make sure that its US Citizens voting - and only once.

I don’t know why there would ever even be a question about this. Without ID I could vote a hundred times?!

Why WOULDNT we want voters to show ID? Its crazy to think otherwise.

j

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Completely agree with this - its fucking ridiculous.

j

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. TBH there's never been an issue and the negative implications on voter turnout is much greater than the threat or evidence of fraudulent votes. Though If this is what you want then there should be ways of ensuring that it doesn't impact voter turnout, though that's the entire intention as they've stated over and over. To stem voter turnout, so I doubt you'll see any sort of "ensuring access" policies in conjunction with these "enhanced security" policies. If you want to secure voting, then fine. But it should be done in a way that doesn't disenfranchise or suppress oppositional votes. Include a law that you can't be terminated by your employer when you need to take time off to pursue this ID (if it so happens), to have free bus fares or child care services ect should you need to embark on a 170mi journey in order to vote. Or just make the process easier in certain ways. Idk have all the answers rn on how to do both but that's what needs to be prioritized. If you're going to "increase security," then you need to make sure and account for any byproduct of a suppressed vote whether intentional (what I think) or not.