Egg shells. Organic recycling.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by WeeDroid, Jun 4, 2020.

1. you are aware that even wood ash has phos mate,you burn them egg shells down to almost ash you have phos,what im implying is there are more sources of phos than bones and smells a dang site better too,that the reason i went to shells cause bones absorb in that sinus cavity and stay s there for days,cho has a great plan but he isnt the only kid on the block he is just better known,if you go back and check elaine ingram is even recanting some of her studies on compost.
    difrent thec i guess we all do things difrent,i also use the OHN but many claim that is pure alchol and kills plants,now it has led to a killing of plant for me but plant was ready for harvest

• Like Like x 1
  2. I agree, I made it thinking I may use it on my tomato plants. But, I never had a need for the extra calcium with the mix I use and proper watering.
    Thanks for the education and catching this waktoo.

• Like Like x 4
  3. So after boiling the shells, there is still no smell from toasting them for 30 minutes at 200F. They did stink while boiling but not real bad and the exhaust hood over the stove top took care of that.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I agree on the low maintenance goal but it never seems to work out as there always seems to be something in need of attention with the garden.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #45 WeeDroid, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    So ground up my shells after a light toasting and they are in my 1st stage compost tumbler.

• Like Like x 2
  6. " ... there always seems to be something in need of attention with the garden.”

No doubt!
    My garden has no lights, no fans, is indoors and all I do is water and train. Mostly.

I do maintain the compost bins but that is low stress.

• Like Like x 2
  7. If I could just build that robot to collect mulch and compost materials then it would truly be a maintenance free system.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. My latest inputs:

so in goes some eggshells. Boiled, toasted then crushed in a lovely mortar and pestle.
    I’ll toss a bit in my pre-composter and my main composter. They add great texture to the compost.

In the next few days I’ll be oak leaf hunting. I’ll hike and hopefully find a lot and fill my 2 - 100 gallon fabric grow sacks. It’s been about 10 years since I did it last.
    C4B7EA4E-5BF7-4393-B2DF-7D0EF41ED0C6.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. #49 FunTimeGrowHap, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Hot damn! The WeeDroid!

Back to the topic: I save all crab shells and run 'em through the blender for the same reason. Calcium carbonate is calcium carbonate. I am betting on getting a little chitinase out of the deal while I am at it and we eat a lot of crabs at house FunTimes.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. too funny! :love-m3j:

The other important quality, besides available nutrients for the soil eco system, is good soil/compost drainage. Crunched up shell bits helps this process.
    Additionally is the gradual process of nutrient processing. A dynamic compost that has ongoing nutrient cycling is ideal from what I grok.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1