Egg shells. Organic recycling.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by WeeDroid, Jun 4, 2020.

1. #1 WeeDroid, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Hi folks,

This first post here is an introduction, somewhat like an exposition in a narrative. My 2nd post will be the practical information I have come across.

I am a long view (not so concerned with immediate easy fixes) organic grower who lives in a big city in a legal state. I have a tiny slab of concrete for a backyard and a garage to work with in terms of work space for horticultural experimentation and gardening. Plus neighbors who can look in on my backyard.

So, many years ago, I started brainstorming on how I could create organic compost. A primary goal was to buy as little outside components as possible. While understanding that to get started, I would have to invest in a lot of elements to help create organic compost.

So after 10 years of not growing (I’m still smoking/vaping/eating my harvest from 10 years ago), I decided to get back in the game. I’ve been maintaining my compost efforts during this past 10 years, but at a very relaxed level (at least compared to my frenzied efforts when I first started).
    I currently have a grow diary in the organic grow section here, so folks can check out my current efforts over thar. I am ecstatic with the results I am getting so far.
    Pandemic Garden: sativa, indica, blends.

edited to add my current grow:

Post-Pandemic Garden: sativa, indica, blends.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I wanted to toast some egg shells to add to my compost that is composting in the back yard (it’s a nutrient cycling process, don’t ya know). I searched grasscity but could not find a guide (granted I didn’t try super hard) on toasting egg shells.

Without further ado, I present a way to toast egg shells to add calcium to your compost. Commentary is very welcome!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. “Wash the eggshells and place them in a water, boil for 10 min. Transfer eggshells to the baking dish and bake at 200F/100C for 15 min. Grind eggshells in a blender until they become a white powder. Eggshells are mostly made up calcium carbonate (95%),...”

The finer the grind, the more rapid the assimilation I assume. I have a blender that is just for situations like this but a mortar and pedestal should be just fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. A coffee grinder works well also.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I’ve burned out one, but I was also grinding up other mineral based granules.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I've never done the toasting part.but I used to pestle and mortar them. These days I just toss them on the compost pile broken up a bit

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Toasting them makes the calcium more readily available.

• Like Like x 2
  7. This info may be of interest:

Wash eggs shells

It is advisable to wash your eggshells before composting them to keep pests at bay. Many chickens live with the Salmonella bacteria that are often transferred to the egg. Without cleaning the egg shells, these bacteria will be transferred to the soil where it can negatively impact plants health.

Dry eggshells before crushing

By the time the compost is ready, you may find that the eggshells didn’t break down and are still visible. That is no cause to worry; however, if you want to reduce this unsightliness, you can first dry your eggshells before crashing and compositing them. Drying the eggs shells allows them to decompose quickly.

Can You Compost Egg Shells? – Composting Basics

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 puffnstuff1960, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Yep, I've burned a few up myself. I stop by garage sales and find them 5 bucks is about the average price have a 5-gallon bucket in my garage that I throw the shells into after I rinse them off. I grind once maybe twice a year.
    I use it more for grit in my worm bin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. I use a bullet blender. Then finish in a mortar and pestle to make a powder.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I am keen in learning about it, thank you kindly! Even if I decide that it’s not needed for my garden, I’m certain other folks will be very interested.
    Tip of the hat to you kind sir!

• Like Like x 2
  11. When you bake them be prepared for your house to stink up, eggs contain sulfur and that shit reeks when you bake the eggs, do it outdoors if you can.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Yeah, it do stink mightily!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Hmmmmmmm?

So I finally got around to cooking up my accumulated egg shells. It didn’t stink at all really. But they have been sitting around for a few months and I boiled them, then dried them, as it indicated in my 2nd post here.
    I’ll grind them later then add them to my compost premix bin.

My apologies for the delay. I’ve been fairly run down/ill and have been sorting out other issues.

• Like Like x 2
  14. @WeeDroid, I've not experienced the strong sulfur smell myself. When I cooked them, I just got them lightly toasted. Maybe we didn't go far enough with the browning and thus didn't experience the strong sulfur smell. Or, we just can't smell sh_t...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Well you guys got lucky...my neighbors complained when I toasted mine :lmafoe:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Fun to do before Christmas gathering

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  17. #19 WeeDroid, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    The recipe only calls for an oven heat of 200F. That’s barely warm really. That is probably why it didn’t stink.

• Like Like x 1
  18. So a beaker full of egg shells after grinding. I have an Osterizer, with one beaker for food, the other beaker, this one, for garden projects.

855BD45A-D32F-41B5-AC5E-FCC8E8A81209.jpeg