Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. Hey Sam, just wanted to wish you well and hope you are back up and running. Just got some material for some attempts. Shake for the simple syrup to see if it works and popcorn for the oral spray. I was hoping to see if slightly medicated had posted anymore about the attempt they made. I did not want to gum up the thread with pointless posts in the middle of a tincture thread. Just like this post. If I get any positive results I will post them in a separate thread. Sorry just sampled the shake, which is half the price, and it is kicking my @ss! No need to reply it seems busy and I am far enough into my understanding to search your threads with confidence. Ok, time to go watch cartoons:)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yep, the recent surgery issues and complications have drawn to a close and I'm back to where I was before this cropped up. I can now walk without the walker but I don't go far. I'm still dealing with the scooter crash or it's always something else. "Normal" state of affairs again.

While this thread is mainly tincture based, I don't mind side trips from time to time but many of the readers of this one aren't familiar with solvent transfers and it might be confusing. The oral spray is perfect for this since it's a GD product. I think that the guide is already posted here.

Creating your own thread is also a good way to illustrate your work that might get more views. A lot of people just skim over this one and my main thread because of the length and they miss a lot of good info.

Good news about the shake, huh? Sounds like good material to play with. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
  3. 0202200946.jpg
    Just some results, old and new. Depending on how the pic came out, from left to right-potent honey half a teaspoon, ABV honey pain relief, shake coco oil potent, shake honey potent, shake tincture and my new favorite watermelon oral spray.

• Like Like x 3
  4. #1524 2Toke on, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Well, I tried to post some pics but they turned out like the IOWA caucus.

• Like Like x 3
  5. That's how my project area used to look all the time the first few years. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. #1526 2Toke on, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    I know there are purists who would say one should never mix flower from different strains.
    During my searches for the best medicine, be it vape juice or tincture, I have mixed strains and many
    times the quality of the product has been better than that of the individual strains. During my research
    on this I have discovered that there are so many variables that can affect the characteristics of a specific strain i.e., soil, water, nutrients, outdoor vs. indoor grow, etc., it can difficult to reproduce the same characteristics exactly from the same strain each time that strain is used to produce the medicine. Then, of course, when one throws in the variables existent in the processes used to produce the medicine....
    I realize I’m overthinking this but how much emphasis should be placed on not mixing strains?
    If the entourage cannabinoids are lost or at least reduced during the extraction process can they be replaced by terpenes? And, if I start with “Blue Widow” and after processing I add strain specific terpenes from “Lemon Haze” will the resulting product have the characteristics of one or the other?
    Or both? Neither?

• Like Like x 2
  7. So have you found success for your process/production - I have no doubt the stove would work well, would just have to have 100% of your attention to the boil rate. Likely need some on the burner, off the burner cycling so as to keep the boil from becoming too fierce - boil happens easily with the alcohol in it!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. It really depends on what you want. I am a firm believer in blending strains and have talked about it here for years, even have it in the Index. Blending is great for medical usage in particular where you can include effects that may be missing in a strain that you really, really like. The possibilities are endless. You're able to design tinctures specifically for the effects you need.

However, I would not blend before extraction. I wouldn't mix the plant material itself. I prefer to make my GD strain specific then if I want to blend it, I can do it on a consistent basis. I'll use a strain specific base and add ratios of other strains to get my results. I keep track of how much of each is used and make note. I can repeat that blend if I need more just by pouring it in a beaker and stirring. Or not if it wasn't as expected. More control blending GD.

Nevertheless, I am also a purist in that I do love my favorite strains and don't want them altered from what makes them my favorite strains. That includes terpenes. I prefer the natural decarb because you don't lose those through heated decarb and it's the terpenes that give strains a lot of their effects. If you add terps after the fact then yes, you can turn that Blue Widow into Blue Widow with some characteristics of Lemon Haze. Ratio would determine dominance. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. PSam, once again thank you for the reply.
    Quite by blind luck I have been doing as you suggest and not blending different strains until after the extraction.
    Again, by luck, I have only blended strains in my vape juices. I kinda know what’s in there but keeping a log would be very helpful for future experiments. I have several different strains of tincture but I’ve kept each one separated from the others. The only variables in the tincture are bud to alcohol ratio and time/method of condensing.
    I’ll try to find those past discussions you mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Actually, they'll be in the big thread. Search "blend" with my name and that thread only and you'll get 10 pages of posts. Those posts for this kind of blending start in 2012 and '13. In one of those I found this thread I made shortly after I started here about blending and I think you'll find I had some similar thoughts and questions as you. It's old and some things in there have changed but this is how it started happening for me. I forgot I had made it. Didn't go far. :rolleyes:

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/blending-tincture-from-different-strains.1077684/

• Like Like x 2
  11. I did find those posts and some others from that time. I’m finding it so interesting that many of us go down
    the same paths at about the same stage of our journey. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Uh, where’d everyone go?

13. We're still here but may be in the other room for a moment. Thanks to modern technology we can be in more than one place at a time. cligner.gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Ok, just didn’t want to miss anything. :mellow: LOL

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. #1535 LaunchpadMcQuack, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    I made a thread regarding this but it belongs in here too, I believe.

Ontario, Canada now sells 190proof over the counter. 98$ for 1.14L. No forms to fill out just a slap in the face from the taxes on it. I think it's around $65 in Quebec.

Stuff is called Alcool 94, if you're interested.

Also, p'sam, I made use of your dragon lite video, worked a charm, and you're right it is a bit disconcerting as it goes through the process near the end. Glad I watched first. Great content, thank you. I am about to boil off a couple litres of the stuff now that the test run was a success.

Edit: Adding a quick question. I have a fair bit of 151 to evaporate off. 3 litres. I figure it will take some time which isnt an issue except if its an issue for the potency. Would it be wise to process in smaller batches rather than all at once??

• Like Like x 2
  16. That's great about the Alcool 94. Many of our Canadian friends will be glad to hear it. That is a little pricey so I hope it's reclaimed when finished.

That's going to take a lot of heat to boil off the water left at the end of that large of a batch. It's not really going to hurt it but it's going to take a while. If it were me and I had the space I would halve it and reduce both halves at the same time. That's half the heat and half the time. I always think that less heat is better. Plus, if you divide it in half it won't take as much heat to get that lesser volume up to the evaporation point. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thanks man, appreciate the opinion, I guess surface area is my friend too.

Another quick question: I did 2 batches at 1.5L of 151 each recovered. The first batch I only shook for maybe 3 min and the first of 2 jars squeezed out was very light amber, it darkened up a lot as it drained into a second jar. So, I think that first jar has a lot of room in the booze for more oil to be held.

I've been mulling the idea of using the lighter 700ml as a second wash since its so light. The material is all sitting mostly saturated in my freezer, as is the jar in question.

I don't think I could lose much since the material is already saturated. I will get chlorophyll, clearly, the material has been sitting about 36hrs now.

Thoughts?

More background - I had more material than $$$ for booze (a goodly sized outdoor). Plan was to use as little alcohol as possible for the strongest pull I can get, even if that meant just a single wash. So the material was coarsely ground (knowing it would keep more alcohol from me but hoping the concentration of oil makes up for the solvent retained in the material) and packed pretty good in the jar (loosened fine once shaking began).

-Unfortunately I do not have a method to reclaim the $100 Alcool, no, but hopefully it pulled a lot of the good stuff. I did the pull this morning and holy shit the liquid is really really dark. 5min shake and I can't see my hand on the other side of the jar even after filtering husks!

• Like Like x 1
  18. The 151 extractions are going to be lighter than a 190 because you have 20% more water which means 20% less extraction to darken it. As long as there's enough alcohol covering it there shouldn't be a problem. Keep that in mind.

Are you placing the first wash back into the freezer to soak for a couple of hours before straining? That should have darkened the solution. Using that to run the second wash doesn't accomplish much because it's already saturated. It will darken, though, but that's not an indication of you're getting more cannabinoids and not just chlorophyll. I have done it, however, when alcohol was low and it was something like trim. I think I would use all fresh alcohol if it was flowers.

It shouldn't hurt to do that if you want and you're right. You shouldn't lose much anyway. The material has already been mostly stripped. :)

19. #1539 LaunchpadMcQuack, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    A picture is worth 1000 words, right?

Left jar is the 190 - single wash, 5min shake.
    Middle jar is 151 - single five minute shake.
    Right jar is 151 - single 3min shake *this is the first 700ml from this jar; the other 700ml that took longer to squeeze out by maybe 5 more minutes came out looking exactly like the middle jar. I kept them seperate because of the noticeable difference, and when I ran the second batch a tad longer and got that deep amber color through the whole process I got to thinking maybe the lighter booze could be used as a second wash to pick up more oil.

This is what led me to think 3min was a little too fast to pickup all the oil.. there was ~1/2LB per jar of material.

• Like Like x 2
  20. What a mess!

So I was impatient, doesn't happen too often. I took my lb of frozen, damp from the first wash bud and dumped it all in a mixing bowl (gotta wash the kitchen item before SOMEBODY sees; using kitchen tools for science is never a good plan here, especially since I do have my own stuff in the basement). I then dumped the lighter colored jar in, which really only dampened it more, and mixed for about 2min with a spoon. Zero liquid visable.

Then one scoop at a time I squeezed through cheesecloth, followed by a coffee filter strain. Took about an hour to get enough juice out that I lost nothing. Kitchen tables a nightmare. I could have smoked the nitrel gloves, and judging from the amount of oil I see in dried dropped droplets now, compared to ones on my workbench from the other day, which is substantial, I think it was worth my while.
    2 - Copy.jpg

• Like Like x 2