Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Been reading PSam's threads all day... just like going to school.

Question - does decarboxylating bud or trim have to be:  {X amount of heat} for {X amount of time} usually in an oven?  
    Suppose you didn't decarb the material because you intend to do a heat reduction to increase potency, doesn't that have the same effect as decarbing the material before extraction?  Won't the low heat from the reduction process convert THCA & CBDA into THC & CBD, which is what decarbing does?

• Like Like x 1
    You're going to be pretty sick of me before too long if you're not careful. :eek: 

I wish that would be the case here with decarb but it doesn't seem to be. Some decarboxylation may take place or it may be enough to finish decarbing the CBD but not enough for main event. More and more studies are coming out about it and a better idea of the process is coming about. During the reduction process the heat isn't intense enough to dislodge that CO2 atom from the THCA molecule. That takes between 220 and 240F for a period of time and when reducing in a double boiler, that heat doesn't get above 212. If you were to do a direct heat above that, you would get violent action from the alcohol and could well destroy your batch. 

There are other ways to decarb, though. Let your reefer air dry for 8 months. That's the best way in my estimation. You can use the sun, oven bag in a pot of hot water, etc for quicker results like the oven. Another reason why the reduction isn't enough to count on is because it happens too quick. For it to decarb in this manner would require hours at low heat and for tinctures it only takes an hour or two at most, usually less, to finish off.  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  4. #104 marpez123, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    Never my friend, never - you made the mistake of making it OK to pick your brain. I ain't gonna stop until there ain't anything left to pick!

This is where i got my initial instructions on decarbing. Since then while exploring other sites, I've come across a plethora of misinformation concerning temperatures and exposure times... ie. 320 degrees for 15 minutes. You response has cleared up any confusion I may have had. I will follow the instructions given below, and for those people who are new to the idea of decarboxilation, I believe this is the best way with labs confirming the results.

http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/decarboxylating-cannabis-turning-thca-into-thc/

Air dry for 8 months...  are you crazy? :)

• Like Like x 1
    I'll tell you what, marpez, I don't believe his tests are representative for a couple of reasons-the kief was made from trim that was 2 years old and the trim test is on the remaining trim after most of it's trichomes have been sifted off for the kief. Not a good sampling and only one sample. But the method is okay although I'd keep the heat down to 220 for 30 minutes max unless it's 2 years old but then it wouldn't really need decarb. If you decarb for 60 minutes and your tincture is putting you to sleep, then your decarb is too long. Otherwise, go with your proven results. Over time you'll get a feel for the variables. 

And I'm been using trim from 2012 harvest for the last few months and so have some experience with old pot, not counting brickweed.  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. I haven't posted in several days. I found BKS's thread and was trying to read all 127 pages - can't do it, due to information overload. Being fairly new at this, I think I'll stick with basics...oils for my cancer & tinctures as a supplement. After reading & re-reading your six page Dragon Lite thread, I believe there's enough info, clearly and simply presented, that a beginner like me can follow with successful outcomes.

When my 2nd run is harvested, dried & cured, I'm thinking about using 50% for dry ice kief to be used for oils & tinctures, and the other 50% for vaping recreationally. :smoke:   As always, any comments or advice are welcome.

• Like Like x 2
    That was the purpose of this thread, to provide just the guides without all the mumbo jumbo. I hope it serves you well, Let me know if you have any questions, you know where to find me. I'll be gone all day showing someone else how to do these but will return this evening. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  8. Question - Do I need to learn about metric weights & measures, so I can accurately calculate strength of final product? :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Nah, just know that 1 fluid ounce = 30 milliliters. I'm an old timer and use standard measurement but some people here are from other countries and use metric. Milliliters/ml is about the only thing I use metric. Grams and mg have been used for years so should pose no problem. If something is in milliliters, just divide by 30 and you have the number of ounces, liquids only.  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hey marpez, do you save your vaped weed?

11. Yes, since I have COPD, I vape lightly and save the blond/lightly brown material in a glass jar. I just used that materrial to make an ABV tincture to help me sleep (as described by JoJo). Unfortunately, I believe I may have harvested my 1st run prematurely, as it was not as kick-ass as I expected. I'm mixing five drops of tincture into my vodka/tonic about an hour before bedtime and it seems to be working. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'd like to Private Message Psam, but I can't figure out how it's done on this site.

13. At the top of your screen, you should see a square red box by "Messenger". Select that and you will see a pm from me. Just reply like you do here.  :) 

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Like this, marpez. Click on the image. :) 

marpez screen shot.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Sam-

I'm new to this forum (First post  :hello:  :metal: ), but I've been looking at your method for a while. Last week I tried it out with a 1/2 of some top shelf. I now have between 5-6 oz of dark green liquid after having cooked off about half of the Everclear (I used a hot water bath because I don't have a double boiler). The process was easy and what I saw going on in my jar seemed the same as what I saw in your pictures. I have a few questions though and I was really hoping you could help guide my novice hand. I've never tried tincture before, but after I drop mine the burn is almost unbearable. Is this normal? Can/should I do anything about it? 

Also I'm mostly a recreational user, but I've found my results have not given me much of a buzz. Should I try cooking more alcohol out of the tincture? I know it's a little more difficult having not been around for the process, but maybe you can give some advice. Thank you so much for adding this process to the community. It was such an easy process and you've been so helpful to other users. It has been a pleasure reading through this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    I'll be more than happy to help you get it figured out and it shouldn't be too hard. First, let me ask a couple of questions. Did you decarb? What strain did you use? And is the Everclear 190 proof or 151? 

The burn is rough and is the reason why I don't do it sublingually, usually. I like mine in coffee or tea or some other drink or in a shot of water to swish around in my mouth. As your tolerance builds over time and you start making your tincture stronger, you'll notice that the more concentrated it is the less alcohol there is and it doesn't burn much, but that's in the future. Have you tried the GD when you were clear headed like a wake and bake? And how much did you use for a dosing? 

I'm glad that you've found this thread helpful and that's the very reason I made it like this. I have another thread that has all this and a lot more but it's spread out over nearly 200 pages now and I didn't want to make people go slogging through all that for such a simple process. It was meant mainly as a guide and it does my heart good to know that it has been useful for you. 

More than likely a little tweaking with the reduction is all you'll need to do. I'm looking forward to helping you reach that "Aha!" moment.  :smoking: 

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thank you so much Sam for coming to the rescue. The strain I used was Girl Scout Cookies. The initial material was pretty moist. I saw where you described it doesn't work well with moist bud so I did decarb (220 for 25 minutes). The 190 proof isn't available here, but it seemed to me that it was worthwhile to get so I ordered it online and used it for this. The first morning I tried it I put 8 drops in my coffee. After having very little effect I dropped about 8-10 more drops (that time I did it sublingually). I tried it again the next night and smoked with it and it definitely seemed to boost the effects, but it didn't last very long (30 minutes or so). Hopefully some of this is helpful to you. Also thank you again... once I figure out how to give you some rep consider it done!!!

• Like Like x 1
    For me it can take almost an hour to get full effects in the morning on an empty stomach. Your decarb is good and if you used 14g of bud and have 6oz of solution, then you have a strength of 2.3g/oz. You did 2 runs, correct? If you're having trouble feeling the full on effects at 8 drops and you don't mind the lesser volume, I recommend that you reduce it to 4oz. That will give you less volume but stronger dosing and a potency of 3.6g/oz, and then try 8 drops in a shot glass with a little water and swish it around in your mouth as long as you can. This keeps the burn away but still allows for sublingual and buccal absorption. Of course, swallow when finished. 

If you want to keep it at it's current strength, which is quite good, then I suggest the "Aha!" moment method of sampling. Using that same method with the shot glass, instead of 8 drops I'd like for you to do half a milliliter and clear a little time on your calendar. For some folks I have found that it takes a larger first dose that catches your attention with no doubt and then it's easy to titrate down to your regular dose. There is no danger but it's just that the effects from the tincture are so much different than smoking/vaping, and even some edibles, and that larger initial dose will focus your attention on it. Girl Scout Cookies should give you a well balanced tincture.  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yeah, I did two runs. I'm going to try dropping a half ml tomorrow before I do anymore reduction to see if I can get that "aha!" moment. I have plenty of time tomorrow to sit around and enjoy the fruits of my labors. I'll report my findings. If I don't get any effects from the half ml before reduction I'll reduce it again and try again. Like I said I'm mostly a recreational user, but I do suffer from Crohn's disease and I find using allows me to eat. Can I expect the same appetite from the tincture? That'd be great if I can use this instead of smoking and save my lungs a bit (and maybe my pocketbook too  B) )

• Like Like x 1
    It should help your Crohn's considerably but getting the actual munchies will vary. I find that I'm hungry when I need to be and strains can make a difference also. It should definitely cut back on your smoking and all the added benefits that brings. Let us know how that "Aha!" goes.   :) 

• Like Like x 1