Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. #61 PsychedelicSam, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Sorry, Stihmata. I thought you knew about my tincture thread although I just started this one after the format change. The main thread has over a hundred pages and covers making a lot of different things from the Dragon, like, honey, agave nectar, butter, glycerin, coconut oil, the various lotions and potions, but it was getting so long that a lot of people were skipping some important tips and screwing up their product. I couldn't have that besmirch my good name So instead I started this condensed version that just deals with the Dragon procedures alone. I've streamlined the process and include edits to the original recipe to match the purpose here.

If you're interested in all the other things that can be done with your Dragon, check out my main thread. It's the first link in my signature. This thread is also designed for small volumes, The other one has larger volumes and it's myriad uses.

I'm glad you finally found one of my other projects. I was wondering why you had never dropped by. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stihmata, if you really want something to help with sleep try an ABV (Already Been Vaporized) tincture. If you have a vaporizer or know someone who does this can't be beat as a sleep aid, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #63 PsychedelicSam, May 30, 2013
    I have asked JoJo0420 to post the guide for an ABV tincture using these methods. I don't vape so I have absolutely no experience with the stuff and the idea is completely foreign to me although I don't have my head buried in the sand and know that it's of significant interest to a large number of people. Since I don't post guides that I haven't personally put to the test, I need a little help with this one and I'm confident JoJo can do it justice. We also have his guide in the main thread and it fits in perfectly here.

Please be aware that the quality of your AVB tincture will be dependent upon how much you fry your cannabis. Results will vary, You may want to decarb ABV, too. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks Much
    Sam I had seen the othere tinture thread but this one looks a bit diff/more informative THANKS
    I adore tintures too, way better than the Poisons the Med/Docs push on me.
    I be here too
    I do have a vape just love my J's way too much, But I want to start using the Vape also so again
    Thanks to Sam and Jojo on the advise  Cool....................... smoke on brothers...........

• Like Like x 1
    The latest one has a tincture cycle, temperature and timing controls and decarboxylation.  The set it and forget it factor, for me is a major plus.  But the price tag of $175 plus shipping is rather hefty and it only has a one year warranty.  I don't know man.  I'm a â™“
    too 3/15/55 here, so you know.  

• Like Like x 1
  6. #66 PsychedelicSam, Jun 1, 2013
    That handy set and forget mode will be popular, but I bet it breaks right after that warranty expires. Now it would be really nice if it evaporated alcohol with no explosion risks. Then I might think about buying one. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sam could I build a solar still, and use it to evap the alcohol off?

• Like Like x 1
    Sure you can. Then you can reclaim some of that expensive Everclear.  :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. An ABV Tincture is made following the same recipe as the basic tincture. There is little fear of oversaturating the alcohol since the material is already depleted from the vaporizer so I bump up the quantity of ABV to alcohol. My last batch used 13g ABV to 4 oz. Everclear (190 proof) for each of 2 runs. I have tested a sample of the ABV after the first run and there was still something left, enough to justify a second run before pitching it. My primary concern was that the ABV is thoroughly covered by the alcohol before begining the shake/freeze cycle.
    View attachment 1143747

Alcohol and ABV are chilled in freezer seperately for 24 hours.
    Combine and shake for 15  minutes.
    Freeze for 4 hours.
    Shake for 15 minutes then filter. I filter through cheescloth straight out of the jar. I leave the ABV wet with alcohol through the second 24 hour chill, basically I just put a couple layers of cheescloth over the jar and pour off most of the alcohol.
    Store saturated ABV in freezer for 24 hours.
    Add 4 oz. fresh chilled alcohol.
    Shake for 15 minutes.
    Freeze for 4 hours.
    Shake for 15 minutes.
    Now the final filter, squeeze out as much alcohol as possible from the ABV.
    I dont usually run it through a coffee filter till I have combined both runs.
    From here I reduce it about 50% to achieve a higher concentration.

View attachment 1142606
    As you can see the ABV tincture comes out much darker, when not backlit it almost looks black.
    The quality of your ABV tincture will depend greatly on how much you vaporize your herb. Too much and there may not be much left other than things that will make you sleepy.
    That being said, if you only vape your herb to a light brown with a few flecks of green still in it then there is plenty left in there.
    If you have issues with insomnia an ABV tincture may be just the trick you are looking for. I can hardly keep my eyes open 30-40 minutes after taking a dose.

View attachment 1207898
    Another tip, I cut down the coffee filter to fit the strainer when I empty the jar to squeze the last of the alcohol out. More filter just means more loss to the paper, as Sam mentioned prewetting the filter with alcohol with help with loss.

View attachment 1127332
    My favorite use of ABV tincture would be infused into coconut oil and put into capsules. One of these and you won't be feeling any pain, two and you'll be asleep.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Jojo
    Great little Tut
    I was wondering, how do you complete the coconut infusion process for capsules.
    Just fromthe tinture already prepared how do you infuse into coco oil?
    Thks Mate

• Like Like x 1
  11. #71 PsychedelicSam, Jun 2, 2013
    Thank you, JoJo. Great job, as usual. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. #72 PsychedelicSam, Jun 2, 2013
    Here's a little guide for you, Stihmata. This one is for a concentrated coconut oil and a solvent transfer is used. That's just a fancy term for mixing your Dragon, whether AVB or fresh reefer or kief, with the desired amount of coconut oil for your needs, whether single, double or quadruple strength, then evaporating off the alcohol. That leaves the THC in the oil. You can make honey or butter or the oil for your pain cream the same way. :)

Coconut Oil Solvent Transfer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sam's link is where I learned to make it, for capsules I'd pay particular attention to the part about making the oil 8X+ standard potency. Once the oil is infused and cooled a bit I just filled capsules with a pipette and stored them in the refrigerator.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi Guys!!

I realize I asked a lot of questions lately, but I still have more.

Most people who have investigated tinctures found the two main methods people use (sit out a month or 2 and use heat) in addition to this way we are all so happy with.

Lets say you are with a nervous friend and he is skeptical....

What have you got to loose if, after you have done the freezing and shaking twice (plus the 4 hrs a & shake again) if you were to decide to use heat at that point.

Essentially, start the heat of reduction before filtering the second run?

Is there anything to loose regarding strength or taste??

Thanks for your answers.

I expect to find the medicated candy recipe I mentioned in the main thread and post it there.

• Like Like x 1
    You're right. There really is nothing to lose but the taste will be affected. You'll get a lot more of the chlorophyll and other plant flavors and may need to filter it another time due to the fine residue left from the heated plant material. A few people have included heating in their version of the process without hurting anything, but I don't think it was improved, either. I don't know how a nervous friend fits into the equation but if that's what it takes to get him/her to try it, go for it.  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hi All
    I am finally at a point where I have alittle time to catch up. I have been re-locating.
    A while back I made some dragon using some really dank indica flowers. While I have to admit that chopping up dank buds to make tincture was a bit difficult, the result was a 10 drop dose tincture.
    I did  1 to 1 transfere to butter then used the butter to make Ginger Snaps.
    1  cookie had my wife asleep on the couch for 2 hours.
    I got an excellent body buzz that wa almoust enough to put me out.
    All pain was relieved for about 6 hours in my case alittle longer in my wifes case. 
    Had  a snap with my coffee this morning.... nice
    Thanks  Sam

• Like Like x 1
  17. I am making my first venture into the world of tinctures. My grandpa has chronic joint pain and I am trying to get him some actual pain relief without getting him super stoned. If this tincture was applied externally would that reach the desired effect? Would he get pain relief without getting high?

• Like Like x 1
    Thanks for your interest, RM420. You can use this tincture either directly on the pain or you can add it to a pre-made lotion or cream or you can use it to make a coconut oil based homemade pain cream. He might get a little buzz using the Dragon directly but not from adding it to a premade base. I cover this very extensively on my other thread about all the uses for it and listed below are some of the guides. I use these everyday and find that they are very good. Let me know if there's anything I can help with.  :) 

Adding Dragon to commercial products for fast pain relief.  That's the easiest to find but there are a number of posts about this in the last 30 or 40 pages of this Another Tincture Thread...Try It, You'll like it!  And here's another one. If you prefer to make your own from scratch, let me know and I can give you the specific guide.

• Like Like x 1
  19. #79 Jojo0420, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
    I can atest to the affectiveness of simply mixing tincture and commercial lotion, I have been doing this myself using half regular tincture, half ABV (already been vaporized) tincture. It feels great on my sore feet after a long day at work.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I made some tincture by just running shake through a strainer (to break up, and remove the small stick pieces) and shaking it up with alcohol and leaving it a couple weeks, straining it, adding more shake, then straining. I like your instructions for reducing it to make it stronger. Please tell me, what is the reason for the freezer? thanks!

• Like Like x 1