Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. By the looks of things , your mixed bottle would have about 10 to 15 different strains in it, correct?
    So far I have only been able to blend three. I do agree on the combined effect being greater than the sum of the individual effects.
    Thanks again for the tip.

• Like Like x 1
  2. #22 PsychedelicSam, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Actually more like 8-10 with this one. There was a period where I hit a dry spell and used nearly all of what I had, but I did have a small amount survive and it has been the base for the new blend. However, I've been adding to it since last September. I don't add to it each time I make Dragon, just when I get down to the last few milliliters of the last bottle of a particular strain or blend. Often I have two or more strains to use at a time so I'll make various blends in bulk using this extraction method and usually only a small amount of the single strain to use for specific purposes. Also, sometimes a bottle of Dragon may have already been blended with another a time or two before the last bit is added to the final blend, a true hodgepodge of effects. fly (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 1
  3. #23 PsychedelicSam, May 18, 2013
    Dragon Recipe....Phase 3

Due to continuing research this step has changed over the course of the years.

The second run can and probably should be done immediately after finishing the first one while you have all your equipment out unless it's late or other things get in the way. If that's the case, just place the jar of wet material back into the freezer but the longer it sits, the more chlorophyll and waxes will be extracted. This is just a rinse but it picks up an additional 25% cannabinoids that was retained after the first run. :sneaky:

New8b.jpg
    Proceed to Phase 4.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #24 WeekendWarrior, May 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
    Hey, great guide. I will give this a go whenever I can run to a nearby state to get some 190 proof alcohol.

But I've got a question..

You say in your guide to add 3 fl oz. of alcohol to 7g of buds. In the pictures you give, if those are half-pint (8oz) jars, it looks like a lot more than 3 oz of liquid in there. What's up?

• Like Like x 1
  5. #25 PsychedelicSam, May 18, 2013

Those pictures have been updated. :)

6. #26 PsychedelicSam, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Dragon Recipe....4th Phase

This is going to cover the final strain and filtering as well as the reduction to the final strength. I have only included pictures for the straining process since the final 2 filters are the same as the 1st run.
    Strain and press plant material before final filters. If using a large micron intitial strain such as a potato ricer, cheesecloth, t-shirt, etc., filter it through the mesh coffee filter before the paper one to remove additional silt that would further clog the filter paper.

1) Filtered product of each run with the first run on the left.
    New8.jpg

2) Total solution from both runs totaled 6 fl oz after filter absorption and any spillage and ready to reduce. New10.jpg
    3) The simplest way to reduce a small batch extraction is with a hot water bath which is placing the jar of solution into a pot of hot water. I use a rice cooker for all my reductions, both large
    and small. For large batches I place a stainless steel bowl over the boiling water but for a
    small amount like this I use the inner liner. The heat stays at an even temperature just below
    boiling with the lid off. SUNP0009.JPG

4) Before starting the reduction I place a cotton pad into the chamber for the jar to sit on to prevent cracking the jar from the direct heat and to prevent tipovers. A folded up piece of terrycloth or even cheesecloth will work well. The alcohol will bubble, bubble but no toil or trouble. When it gets to the level you want, remove it from the pan

New11.jpg New13.jpg New14.jpg

6) Reduced by 50%.
    New15.jpg

7) Net final results of your Green/Gold Dragon: 3 fl oz Potency of 2.33g/fl oz. For 2.0g/fl oz, just reduce to 3.5 fl oz and etc.
    New12.jpg

Your results are determined by the percentage of evaporation you achieve and are completely within your control. Of course, results will vary dependent upon the quality and age of the material used :pimp:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. #27 PsychedelicSam, May 18, 2013
    I promised you a treat this morning and here it is. Hopefully, good, vintage, feel-good rock and roll is something you can at least tolerate. If not, just pass it by, no big deal. You see, I'm an old stoner and not a fan of the modern genre of tunes and I like to drop in a song now and then that defines my thoughts at that moment in time. This is one example,

Have a great weekend!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sam, you have got to try the Duncan Hines simple mornings cinnamon streusel. its to die for. i used one stick of butter infused with my gd. Ive had wonderful results. They keep me going all day but do not put me to bed.

I made mine in a big loaf pan instead of muffins but it worked well

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Thanks, Nate. I'll have to give that a try. I loved the infused Duncan Hines Decadent Apple Caramel Cake and I would imagine this one would be good, too. I'm glad folks are getting into the edibles aspect of this Dragon. 

For any of you who'd like to check out infusing butter/oil/honey/glycerin with your Dragon, please check out my main thread that's listed as the first link in my signature.  ^_^

• Like Like x 2
  10. #30 PsychedelicSam, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Green Dragon
    Kief
    Tincture

Extraction from kief is the easiest of all for making a Green Dragon tincture whether using 190 or 151 proof alcohol. The cannabinoids are extracted within seconds and the whole process can be completed within an hour. There is no need for a lot of equipment or exertion of all the pressing and time consumption needed for plant material.

The potency of your GD is up to you and the strength of the kief you're using. I've made kief from 9% tested flowers and it only gave me 13% kief, not too good. For something like this I would recommend at least 4g for each fluid ounce of alcohol for a decent tincture. For better kief 2g is a good starting point. Bubble hash or full melt with higher concentrations can do the job equally as well.

The kief used for this guide was tested by the dispensary @ 38%, 380mg, per gram and I used 4g for a total of 1520mg of cannabinoids. I also had it tested with the same results. Knowing the values is helpful but not everyone has the luxury of knowing that. Often, but not always, kief is made from trim so the percentage level is going to be lower than from flowers. This I why I like to recommend 4g per ounce. You're sure to get a good tincture and may even get launched into space.

In addition to the video above I'm going to write out the steps and include screenshots of the video in case someone wants to print it out or is unable to view the video.

Pre-extraction: Place your alcohol in the freezer for 24 hours. This is done to inhibit chlorophyll extraction. While kief doesn't have a lot, there is some, especially if from trim.

1) Prepare your kief for decarb and pre-heat your oven to 240°F using an oven thermometer for accuracy. Fluctuation between 240°-250° is fine but try not to let it go much below or above for optimal results. If your kief has been pressed or packed then break up the clumps in order to get consistent results.

Kief predecarb.jpg Kief prep.jpg
    2) I like to use pyrex type glass for my decarb because it doesn't conduct heat very well but use whatever you're familiar with. After your oven has stabilized at 240°F place your kief on the rack for 40 minutes. There's a slight fragrance but nothing like the whole plant. After 40 minutes take it out and let it cool a few minutes while you get ready. The kief will be a darker tan when it's finished.

Kief ready to go.jpg

3) Take your alcohol from the freezer. Place your decarbed kief in a jar with a tight lid. Measure 1fl oz of 190 or 151 cold alcohol and pour it in the jar. Tighten the lid and shake, shake, shake for a few minutes.
    Kief alcohol.jpg Kief mixing.jpg kief shake.jpg

4) Now we're going to pour off the alcohol into a paper coffee filter, leaving the trichome husks in the jar for a light rinse to retrieve any leftover cannabinoids. By this time the husks have pretty well packed back down and you should be able to pour off the GD into your filter without disturbing it much so that it remains in the jar. Before you do that, though, you want to do a little loss prevention with the filter. The dry filter will absorb some of your GD and with this small of a volume and high potency you're going to want to prevent that. You'll do that by moistening your filter with fresh alcohol so that it doesn't absorb the good stuff. When moistened place it in a funnel or stuff it in the top of a fresh jar and make a bowl inside.
    Kief filtering.jpg Kief finish filtering.jpg
    5) While the GD is filtering we're going to rinse what's left by adding a little bit of fresh alcohol to the depleted kief. This will flush the remaining cannabinoids from the principal extraction. For this 4g I used about 9ml, just enough to cover and rinse. We don't want more than 1.5 fl oz total volume, especially if using 151. Here I use a 3ml pipette for the addition. Put the lid on and shake again for a couple of minutes.
    Kief ready to rinse.jpg kief rinsing.jpg

6) After you've finished shaking the rinse take off the lid and pour it all into the filter and let it do it's thing. It shouldn't take long. There is no strain needed since we don't have a lot of plant material to work around. Once the GD has filtered the husks are still going to be damp. Pull the filter, twist it up and gently squeeze the depleted kief between your fingers lightly to avoid breaking the filter. That's strong medicine there and every drop counts. You may be surprised how much will come out.
    Kief finish filtering 2.jpg Kief squeeze filter.jpg

7) Your Green Dragon kief tincture is now ready for use and hold on to your hat. If somehow you used more alcohol for the rinse than needed you can evaporate the overage to get back to your desired volume if you used 190 proof spirits. Try not to do that with 151 since it doesn't like it. As long as you didn't dump in a lot it should be good with what you have.
    Kief final product.jpg

I have been using this and I must say that it is fabulous at half my normal dosage. It's the easiest thing you'll find for Green Dragon, better than shatter/wax concentrates. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. It has even changed some of my own opinions. The previous editions of this guide were inconsistent and poorly conceived. I hope this one is better.
    band (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

11. Neat tip i took from the people who make canna butter the old fashioned way, i added twice as much water as butter and poured the gd into that. It allowed me to use a little higher heat to get the alcohol to boil off without burning the butter so it only took about twenty mins. I set the butter in the fridge overnight and poured off the water in the am. This might help some noobies on their first time infusing

That sounds like it might work. You should post that in the main thread, Nate, since this thread won't be covering edibles or other infusions. I'm referring those seeking more possibilities over to that one. And it would be good to share with our friends there.  :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Good stuff man, I haven't had the time to check up on the forums recently but keep it up man.  Hope you're doing better, last time we talked you were improving and walking more, I hope that has been steadily increasing in the past months.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Hey, there, GroBox, it's good to hear from you. The other thread was getting too long and people weren't reading some important parts so I figured I'd start this one for them. I was doing really well for a while but once I started walking again, other spinal problems cropped up again and now I'm waiting for healthcare for more surgery. I'm in good spirits, though, and I'm still better off than I was before that back surgery, so I can't complain.  :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Im really diggin the kief recipe. I probably got another 4 weeks until my plants are harvested and dried so when i make it ill let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    it's really easy and the potency is only limited by how much kief you use. I was surprised by the results, to be truthful with you. If you have any questions at the time, feel free to ask.  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. #37 SupaaBaked, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
    I most definitely will and if i dont ill post the results still. I do have one question though. Ive ne er tried green dragon before and the only good edible ive ever had was a sativa cheeba chew a buddy of mines cousin brought with him from CO. With that being said im going to an amusement park in a few months with my parents and my fiancee. The question is would green dragon and roller coasters mix as well as smoking and rollercoasters or is it going to freak me the fuck out lol? We were gonna take edibles but dragon just seems way better, easier and more descrete than any edible we could take.

Kings island to be percise, most of the rides there are crazy enough sober.

• Like Like x 1
    Oh, you're going to like it and it takes a lot less time for the effects to be felt than with edibles. Hold on to your head! It's actually better to use in that kind of environment because you can control the dosage. If you want to start light, then dose more later, you can do that without the uncertainty of edibles. Give it about a fifteen or twenty minute lead time for the effects to begin. You can use it in a small spray bottle or put a few drops under your tongue (burn) or in a quick drink.  :smoking: 

19. Awesome i cant wait now. Thanks for all the info sam.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Enjoy the rides, both from the roller coasters and the GD.

• Friendly Friendly x 1