Down On The Worm Farm

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by dobro49, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Dont buy that. I spent like $20 something at ace hardware and got 3 tubs and double sided through seal with a Male screw in cap. I used to buy top of the line stuff but now I just simplify it. I even called a show horse farm and go pick up buckets of poop.

• Like Like x 1

2. Lmao where you been brother? He's bought that and had it up and running for weeks now

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Try alfalfa hay as your greens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Yea, I thought about trying to make a tray system but I went the lazy way. I do like that amazon kit tho I haven’t tried to harvest any of it yet. I’ve just been watering and feeding the worms.

I’m looking around locally for a good hay/straw source. This was being discussed in one of the main Organics threads and the subject of avoiding pest/weed control chems came into it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You have to find out where it is sourced from. I buy from a local farm.

• Like Like x 2
  6. As I’ve been reading, and recommend, the Stout book “No Work Garden”, I notice she makes a pretty big deal of attracting wild worms to the garden without (so far) getting too far into it. I’ve gotten excited over this notion, even mentioned dreaming about it in the Lounge. I’ve set up that outdoor bin for this purpose, transferring the worms from there to the garden bed. I’ve also added a bit more worm food type stuff to what I compost in place there.

This has to be the cheapest rototiller on the market and maybe we will take this “wild worm hunting” to a new level. Might even buy a new camo outfit for the hunt.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I picked up a copy of her book at a thrift store years ago. Pretty sure whoever borrowed it still has it! I’ve built windrows out of horse manure and some hugel beds and both worked well. This last summer was my first Ruth Stout try. Wish I had the time to plant the whole thing.

RD
    BA6DCD6B-3FEB-4EE5-8E2A-D797D57AAD41.jpeg ACD30DA1-6EFE-450E-B203-88ACA90FC187.jpeg 36A75ADC-857B-40F7-B7D1-1CCE31002AF6.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I'm just finishing that book up, or trying, I did the same thing to my gardens this fall. I got a few round bails of hay that were semi rotten and some fall leaves I chopped up along with some hardwood bark. My goal is to never rototill again.

What's up with the old Ford extended cab? Looks like it the 70s?

• Like Like x 2
  9. I got mealys, lol.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Nice, I love worms to some degree. Used to more than I do at the moment.
    I mainly do composting of the hot variety, actively aerated, speaking of which, I better flip it today. From our chicken coupe and rabbit. Used to have goat however no more.
    I look forward to see all y'all's garden pics and what vermiculture.
    Last year I earned a bit of a grudge against worms.
    Got these giant freaks digging through my plants rhizosphere cant be good for them.
    I think they are a type of jumping worm.
    Granted the plants could have been having other issues, but the ones that had any issue, seemed to have a large number of these foot long plus worms in mass..
    Maybe I had to much OM in there.. I don't know..
    Anyways, morning everyone's, time to get the worms huh... Feel a little late.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I think it’s a ‘74. Pretty sure my friend sold it. Old vehicles tend to last here because it’s so dry and they don’t use much if any salt on the roads.

I had to build this garden as quickly as possible and with the least amount of labor. Planting it was the hard part. When the shelves at the grocery stores were going bare we decided it was a good idea to at least get some potatoes in.
    RD

• Like Like x 3
  12. Cancel Earthworms

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. Dang, after reading this I wonder if we aren’t contributing to dooms day with our worm enthusiasm.

Your garden looks great Rancho. I’m aiming to do the same with the bed I’m building. I have a nice dip to fill in since it’s a place where an above ground pool was that the folks who lived here before had. It’s taking a bunch of materials.

• Like Like x 2
  14. The funniest part about my worm obsession is that I have almost no use for worm castings at all. I prefer using compost. Mostly because I know the worms in my soil will turn it into castings anyway.

Ive never seen Alabama jumpers myself. There is another invasive species I can’t remember. @Chunk has posted about it before I think. I did notice quite a few worms when I picked those potatoes reds, euros and some sorta large local night crawler...mighta been Canadians.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Being in the south, I took an interest in the Bama invasive ones tho I’m north of there. Like fire ants, I expect they will hit here one day as they came in thru the coast ports. In the mean time I’ll keep hunting the safe wild worms.

• Like Like x 2
  16. IMG_20200822_184420909.jpg
    And that's not one of the bigger ones. I really need to identify them.
    Those look like some mighty nice potatoes, I love potatoes, so easy and self managing for the most part. Great for empty spaces I find.
    Sounds like a bit of fun, empty swimming pool that is. Good bit of room to cook with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. I don't know how correct this is but I did just snap Screenshot_20210223-154802.png Just thought, seeing as how I am pretty sure I got some of them jumpers...
    Looks like I am pot bound... No puns intended.. for pot.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. @StickyEnt , I can’t see that collar on your pic but the color looks right to me. Have you found that “coffee ground soil” anywhere? Thanks for bring this info.

• Like Like x 1
  19. For the record, Euros also will shred the soil into coffee ground looking stuff if given enough time.
    cheers
    os

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Eh, not as apparent as the huge burrows which are noticable, especially if soil is scraped, looking like someone fired a .22 to 30 ought into the ground
    And it could continue going...

• Like Like x 1