Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dosage calculations

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by deuce22, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Hi.

I am a complete novice with Cannabis and only started using it about 6 months ago. I am 43 years old and I had trouble sleeping. A local woman that makes edibles gave me a cookie to try and I slept for 11hrs.

I’ve since been taking it a few times per week, a couple of hours before bed and it has really helped.

The problem I have, is that the edibles I buy from her are inconsistent in both dosage and when she actually has any for sale. For this reason, I started vaping, first trying a normal liquid vape and then I bought a cheap dry herb vaporiser. The dry herb vape is excellent, but I don’t want to be vaping every time.

I’d like to make my own edibles and I wanted to know how to calculate the dosage. I’ve read that 10mg of THC is what a beginner should be using and so I would like to start at this dosage. Can somebody please tell me if my calculations are correct.

1g of herb @ 20% THC = 200mg of THC. If I then divide this into 20 portions each will be 10mg.

Is it as simple as this or do you lose some of the THC in the cooking process?

Thanks for any feedback.

• Friendly Friendly x 1

2. all here

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome to GC and welcome to the wonders of cannabis. Assuming the dosage within each batch is consistent, when your neighbor has some edibles you like then buy her out. Weigh one before you eat it and if the dosage isn't quite right you can easily adjust your dose for the remainder of the batch and baked goods can be frozen for extended storage. You can find your perfect dosage pretty quick. It may be better to make your own depending on your abilities but you should still test the first of each batch.

Another option (my favorite method) is making oil and putting it into capsules with a medicine dropper. You can easily get a consistent dose by counting the drops and titrating for effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. You and I do the same, use edibles for sleep.
    Sadly, the inconsistency you have experienced is all too common, but can be reduced by making your own.

First decide on whether you can tolerate the slight taste of herb.
    If you can, then do not strain out the herb, because doing so also strains out a significant fraction of the medicine, 20-60%. Unless making tincture, then straining is ok, especially with long soaks, because little medicine is lost.

Next, decide on whether you'd like tincture, pills, cookies, brownies, spreads, or something else.
    There are good recipes for all of these here, but many bad recipes on the internet.
    Spreads are the easiest to make, and tincture the hardest.

Edibles work best for me when accompanied by food, so my favorite edible is cookies.
    I've also learned that my body becomes tolerant of the same strain when using it too often.

My present strategy is to have about 7 different strong indica strains, so that I only use the same strain about once a week. But rising tolerance is always a concern.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks very much for that video, it has explained all I need.

I couldn't buy the whole batch from her as she has a lot of elderly people that she gives them to. She doesn't treat it as a business and only sells them to cover her costs. I like the idea of the capsules, so I'll look into that.

I don't mind the taste of the herb, so I'll just leave it in there for more strength. I'll take a look at the recipes and decide what to try first. When you say "rising tolerance is always a concern", can you give me an idea of how this increases, for example how many years would it take to have the same tolerance from 50mg if you started at 10mg? Also, is there a negative effect on health by the rising dosages?

Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  6. There’s another thread talking about this on GC right now too!