Doobie Noobie's Downunder Dumpster Dive DIY

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Doobie Noobie, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Earlier this morning I made a few adjustments to my cabinet. I shifted the clones to the bottom of the cabinet, shifted the dividing shelf to halfway so I've get two equal spaces. Problem then was with the bubble cloner sitting on the floor of the cabinet, I then had some vibration, and therefore noise, so I had to isolate the cloner as best I could. Theres a bit of a collar around the top of the cloner, so I managed to just hang it about an inch off the floor. Perfect. Then I hung the pump up in a net and further reduced the noise. Tonight I had my 17 year old son sitting about a yard away from the cabinet, and he didn't notice anything at all, so I think I'm winning there. My light is too bulky and takes up about 8" of space, putting it a foot off of my clones. Too close, yeah? I'm looking a getting a light very similar to the SF1000, but might do some homework, and see if I can diy the led as well. Love the low profile of the light. I've got a great base that could be the start of a good light. It's basically a big aluminium heatsink case from some electronic equipment I found. I'm sure that'll be a winner if I can figure out how to build the led. Planning on studying Growmaus(?) on YouTube for insight.
    No roots as yet

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. I swung by the recycling bin yesterday, and it turns out that was a good thing. There happened to be the exact same electronic thingy in there as what I thought I might be able to build a light around. Since I want to have two spaces in the cabinet, that's perfect! I'm gonna start a new thread about that. I think the heatsink is awesome, but I know shit all, so I'll ask the audience. Those SF1000 lights manage to do ok I guess without active cooling, and they've got such a slim profile, so I thought these would too. I've been watching a few YouTube vids, but they're a few years old now, so the LED tech has probably advanced since then.
    Anyhow, what you think? They're about 17" x 13" and about 7lb. 4 cobs on each for my little 2x2? I've kinda marked where I think the cobs should go, spacing to help heat transfer through the fins as well as placed to where I can grind off some obstructions to a nice flat surface. Some of the bigger high spots dimple in on the fin side, so cant really be ground down and still remain efficient. I also have some heat transfer putty set aside from when I dismantled the thing.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Not gonna help unless you can mill pockets open enough to get full contact with the heat sink.

4. Thanks Killerbee, yeah I'm pretty confident I should manage to do that. It may not be the prettiest thing though. I was just looking at the dimensions of CXB3070, about 30mm square, I should manage that alright

5. Getting on close to two weeks, but finally seeing a bit of root action! I was kind of expecting that from the cut, but they're coming out from the node up from the cut. I honestly thought that would never happen. After reading a whole lot more on light, I thought my little LED just wouldn't cut it. A glimmer of hope

Attached Files:

6. Wow. When they decide to go, they just go, don't they?! The third one is lagging a bit, and yellowing off a bit too, so might be going to God

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Great job so far! Nice job on keeping your costs at a minimum. It’s an honorable task that you are taking on for your parents. Hopefully those cuts you have contain enough CBD to bring alleviation to your folks, so be careful, if it’s high THC it may be too much for them. You should learn how to make tinctures while you are learning here on GC, or maybe capsules.
    Btw... I adore NZ! I lived there when I was a kid, been back twice on “ holiday “ with the wife since then and I’d go back in a heartbeat! Gorgeous countryside and genuinely warm and inviting people. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kiaora JMcGD! Thanks for the heads up! Haha, no I won't be giving this run to my folks! I'm just honing my skills to get a perpetual grow going on before I invest in some good genetics. I'm looking at the Alpine Star CBD from weedseedsexpress, or similar, once I get a full cycle through with some bagseed and make sure I've got all my grow skills and environment in order. I just had the opportunity to give the cloner a run, so that's where I'm at right now. Yeah for sure, I'll have to look into tinicures and oils etc once I get some good flower! Cheers

Attached Files:

9. That strain looks great. I have some Seedsman Dr CBD that hits those numbers too. Let me know if you pick those up.
    Where are you located?
    When I was there in 79-80 I lived in Taimbrnuey ( totally butchered that one, but center of the north island) and then moved up to Keri Keri.
    On my trips back in 05 and 07 we revisited those spot but also trekked down through the South Island. I’m a hard core fly fisherman and that place is my nirvana.

10. JMcGD! You're my brother from another mother! I checked out your profile yesterday, saw MT, and a river running through it in the background and thought 'Hmm....I wonder if he fishes?'
    So yeah, you did butcher that, but I managed to decipher. Taumarunui. You would have fished Wanganui and Whakapapa, or too young back then?
    I'm from Hawkes Bay, so blessed with rivers here. I know what you're sayin' about SI. You and I gonna get on well.
    I'll leave you with a pic of my grow cabinet stashed in the corner of my shed, behind all the waders. I still haven't managed to tell Mrs Noobie about that yet...I'd better though, soon :watching:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Update on dem roots. Away we go! Well, two of them anyhow. Interestingly, the one I clipped, has the most growth. Prolly just a coincidence, but they're looking good. The one yellowing off has no root growth at all.
    Plenty research going into the LEDs. I want to have a little knowledge before I ask the GC for advice and get totally bamboozled by micromol lumen watts of milliamperage meter squares. I made a few hooks to hang my heatsink. A bit clumsy to shift up and down like that, but in a small space, do you really move that much? Still got the air pump in a jar suspended there, and I'm thinking I'll remove that utility tray and mount that stuff on the side of the cabinet for more headroom.
    A few extra dollars invested now, couple of magnets to keep the door shut without something propped against it for $10, another 10 down on some black silicone for light leaks and a couple of bucks for batteries for the temp/ humidity readout.
    On that, it seems to run 22 to 25C and 50% humidity
    Need to think about some dert for those cuts now

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah man, I like you already. Makin shiz happen with what you have laying around, that’s a kiwi trait to the core!;)
    So here’s a couple of tips...
    When you take a cutting for a clone try trim off most of the lower leaves and side branches on the main stem and just leave the growing tip with just a couple of leaves. Some folks trim the two leaves in half. All of this will reduce the amount of surface area of the leaves on the cut, allowing it to transpire easier until roots show up.
    Also, try to put a humidity dome over it of some sort. Get you Butt back into that dumpster and source yourself some sort of clear plastic dome. Maybe something like a cake from the market might be packaged in. Plastic 2 liter bottles cut in half would work too. This will keep the humidity levels higher and allow the cut to breathe better.
    Aloe Vera is a great rooting gel. It contains Saponin, which is great as a root growth accelerator. Just cut a piece and coat the tip of your cut into the gel before putting it in your cloner. You can also soak your cuts for a few hours in a aloe water solution to get them going.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cheers for the tips JMcGD! I might be a bit late this time around, but will definitely have a play around next time. I took my inspiration for the cloner from Yoda's sticky bubble cloner thread. The conventional wisdom there was that a dome wasn't really necessary, but I'm happy to keep an open mind and try different techniques. There's always more than one way to skin a possum!
    I think I'll let the cloner run for another 24-48 hours, then throw the cuts it in some dirt. Down another $26 for potting mediums yesterday. I've seen it's common to use cloth pots, so I've filled one of those cloth type supermarket bags with probably about 40 litres of medium and wet it all down ready for the transplant. See how that goes. I probably should have done that a couple of months ago to get some good microbial action going on, so there's a lesson.
    Yay Friday!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Another good material for breathable fabric style pots that’s cheap is landscaping weed mat like they put under planters. I make big raised beds with it, it lasts quite awhile. You could take a plastic laundry basket that has tons of open areas in it and line it with the weed mat.
    And that brown... damn dude!:eek2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Well, fuck.
    I came home after another successful dumpster dive, this time for another potentially more suitable heatsink, measured it up to ponder the possibilities, then left my cabinet alone for a while. When I came back for another measure and fit, my LED was out.
    Check the plug, check the timer, remove it from the cabinet, another power point, pull to pieces, voltage across the power cord, DC out of the driver, DC either side of the cob...cob fucked. I see there's a bit of a burn on the edge of it.
    So I guess that dirt will have some time to get the microbes goin' on after all! At least I know now I've got a good cloner. A bit of a set back, but hey, no biggie. Once I get my diy LED's sorted, I'll just pop some bagseed. Nobody die
    I'll have to see if I can find a replacement cob for that light. It was a bloody handy light!
    Yeah JMcGD, nice fish. My boy got that last year while we were on holidays close to Taumarunui. Betcha you've been over that bridge

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. So my little cuts are flatlining now. I switched off their pump this morning. I think they did alright in what, about 2 and a half weeks here. I've learnt a lot. Now that I've had a chance to look at them a bit closer, I see they're putting a bit of energy into forming some seed. Didn't notice that when I first got them.
    Happy with the bubble cloner!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. I figured if I was planning on building my own lights, I should build a bit of safety in there as well. A steel cabinet on casters could become a bit of a hazard with some dodgy DIY. Found a good little buzz bar this morning. I'm planning on putting an earth rod in the ground outside the corner of my shed the cabinet sits, running a wire in and earthing the cabinet and those heatsinks and anything else that could become a death trap

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Well that didn't go as well as planned. I told Mrs Noobie what I was planning on doing...she not happy. 'How can you hide it from the kids?' That's the fun bit! She didn't believe me when I said I could be discreet.
    So I didn't show her my cabinet. Think I'll just slow things down, maybe just pop a bag seed or two till they show sex and clone for outdoor out and about in the wilds. Had a conversation with my folks as well, and they didn't want me to set a bad example for the kids either. Crap. Might have to wait for the kids to leave home before I can flower here. Youngest is 14, so I went have to wait forever.
    Decided to take the Chinese Roulette route. Just ordered a couple little drivers, exact same as my work light which come with 50w warm cob, and a couple of white light cobs. I had a debit gift card with $50NZ on it, so blew that. Drivers were like $44 by the time tax went on there, and another $6 for a couple of cool white cobs. I wanted 3, so I could fix my broken work light, and still have a couple cool cobs for veg, but shipping for 3 cobs rocketed up to like $4 from $1.24 for 2. Too tight for my fifty bux, and I didn't want to use my credit card for that either. Xenophobia. At least with the debit card Mrs Noobie won't be asking questions :watching:
    Hehe, should be a bit of fun once they turn up. Lovin' this DIY shit

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Covert grow ops...
    it’s funny, I tend to forget that some folks still haven’t accepted cannabis as mainstream and generally harmless. It’s medicinal value has been heralded so often now it’s odd to me that people still get worked up about it.
    I don’t have kids, just nephews and nieces, but compared to what they are exposed to nowadays from life as we now know it, cannabis seems like the least of a parents worry. Hell, we have a few clients who are under 18 and their parents have them in a regimen of cannabis therapy to help with anxieties, vs some overpriced big pharm solution that leaves them addicted and disconnected.
    I get it tho, to each their own.
    Anymore, I relish any opportunities to help inform folks of the benefits of cannabis. I used to hold back and worried what people would think of me, but now we have a retail dispensary open that is full on medical, and I don’t hold back. I bring it up in any conversation with just about anyone I can. Rarely do I get a truly negative response. People see it all around them now and at the very least are curious and listen to what I have to say. It’s very gratifying!

• Like Like x 2