Dobros Garden Attempts and Experiments-2021

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by dobro49, Mar 24, 2021.

1. I got the Spearmint seeded today and man are those seeds small. I used some self made compost and Beyondpeat mix.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I like to get some ginger root in me regularly ,when I seen the flowers

I had to start some.
    KIMG3761.JPG

KIMG3759.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  3. i have never thought about kiwi,were you get seeds for them

• Like Like x 2
  4. From a kiwi?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. that would be my choice but was wondering if some place sold them already to go.
    for the life of me i cant remeber that huge seed store up north ,it was a co op base store i believe.
    i have used urban farmer,bonnies,hoss tool,jhonny seeds
    urban farmer,germ rate is around 1 seed to 10 coming up,really old stock i guess
    bonnies,got so big customer service ,well there just aint none
    hoss tools has great seeds great germ inoculate most of there seeds,but high freaking dollar
    jhonny seed right there with urban farmer,old stock hardly any germ rate ,even with extra care the germ rate is bad.
    hoss has been my source for 2 years now,but damn the seed prices are threw the roof
    i cant even remeber who it was told me of a place in michagan i think or maine not sure,at 60 you have a lot of brain farts hahaha

• Like Like x 2
  6. I found them from a seemingly cool person on eBay. They communicated about shipping n such really well. I’ll get the listing info.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I pm’d the listing info.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Are you thinking fedco seed? That's where I get mine, they've always been great, low stock this year tho.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. thats the one,im looking for hot weather plants,i heard they were short of stock last year too,i check them out ,thanks mate

• Like Like x 2
  10. I got the super small Kiwi seeds today and started 9. It takes them a while to germ as I understand.

• Like Like x 1
  11. do they have to be frozen first?

• Like Like x 1
  12. I’ll double check to be sure but I think they require a chill time like these peach trees.

I also started 2 more Jalapeno and 1 Reaper pepper along with 3 Lavender and 3 Sage seeds. Still nothing on the Mint.

• Like Like x 1
  13. My extension says 700-800 chill hrs per year and takes several years to fruit. They also must be mixed males and females, that’s why I’m trying several.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The week ahead looks good so I’ve got a bunch of seeds to get going.
    Cucumber
    2 types of Watermelon (sugar baby and Crimson sweet)
    2 types of Cantaloupe-Honey Rock and ???-
    2 Squash - Straight and Butternut
    2- Tomato Brandywine -?
    3- Pepper-Cheyenne, Jalapeño-Carolina Reaper
    Mint garden in separate container
    -Variety Of Flowers
    Pumpkin and Okra later

• Like Like x 1
  15. planted green beans yesterday hahah
    ive grown them brandy wine maters,im pretty sure they are the ones that the vines get really long,they are indeterminates.
    i just couldnt get more than couple hours out in sun yesterday before i was done for the day
    today same thing im waiting on shade lol
    i did water my corn this morning though hahahah

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yea, the Brandywine will run to the moon. It’s a good fruit tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. i was trying to think of another one i just wont grow,that thing is such a angry plant and just buck wild like gorrila glue hahahaha,all the dang stems head right for the soil,not many at all will stand up,mid size fruit i just cant remember name,matter of fact back in nov we decided it was time for some new stock,they found the ditch out back hahahah along with probally 10 pounds of assorted seeds,deer wouldnt even let them mature before they ate them haaha

• Like Like x 1
  18. Got a cantaloupe planted today.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I’ve got a new Earthbox that I’m going to start today with something. I’ve got Crimson Sweet Watermelon but when they get big I would be watering them all day. I’ll probably do a Sug Baby or Cantaloupe.

• Like Like x 2
  20. i planted the rattlers again this year,my biggest so far has been 35 pounds,last 2 years ive had some thing get at them and my pumpkins,boer a hole straight threw them ,clean hole in and out.
    so yesterday i finally got out and finished i think the garden for the spring garden.
    got the arch up for canalope and the hill done for watermelon,beans came up in 3 days and are 3 inchs tall already,a freaking storm came threw last night and i mean the beans got skairt and stretched hahaha

• Like Like x 2