Dobros Garden Attempts and Experiments-2021

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by dobro49, Mar 24, 2021.

1. I wanted to go ahead and start this journal in hopes of improving my record keeping and keeping things more organized. Other than seed shopping, nothing much going on. I’m thinking of starting a few things today. I also want to use this to document my long time bed projects and various flowers that I want to try. Happy garden season.

• Like Like x 2
  2. hahahaah good luck with that bro,i tried it myself years ago and guess what even documenting it i still couldnt keep up hahaha.
    i have stuff wrote down on several sites and still cant find most of it hahahah

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Man I’m the same with real paper. I’ll have notes and such scattered everywhere and not remember what half of it means. I’m on here a good bit so hopefully it will be easy just to drop in. I do need better records and organizing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. you know those little pocket spiral note books,id say i have at least 10 of those in a stack and all the paper in them back and front have stuff scribbled on it,look like some other world stuff,maybe i will make a time capsule and bury it for someone to figure out one day.
    but hey it is all important stuff,hahaHAHAH

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. kind of like a routine now im older,i have a routine in morning and got to be done by the number or i forget to take my meds every time,i even have to worst luck with the hands,i go in kitchen around noon and see something laying on the floor and sure enough i dropped a pill,always my heart meds too hahah.
    age is a bitch but hey i wouldnt do it over

• Like Like x 2
  6. I forgot mine this morning till I read your post. I try to get out on warm days and have coffee outdoors near the garden, then I get high and the day is shot.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I take my 2 hash capsules about now. And in another hour when the sun comes up so will my stone and I'll be all dialed in for the day.
    WOOHOO.

BNW

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. im not wild about getting medicated in the morn,i do drink my coffe watch my deer eat and finallly get moving around,usally cause this old hen is sweating me hahahah,since my surgery i smoke about 4 hits off the pipe before bed and im done,my heart med and the herb dont do well for some reason,when i really hurt in the morn i wait about a hour after my meds and then smoke a little meds hahahah.
    since my surgery and just the thought of being dead while they reconstruted my heart i want to stay alive and alert to the world around me and enjoy what i been taken for granite hahahah,just me but even watching bugs roll out of the compost pile is great

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. We have to appreciate those little things about nature and the garden. That sounds like Hippie doo doo but it really is true. I even find great interest in the worms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. i got a 5 gal bucket just right out the door for table scraps and such,i went to bury it around my peach tree,and when i layed back the layers of leaves i have there,the ground just came alive,no snakes this time but every and any thing else went to wiggling hahaha

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ruth Stout talks about attracting worms into the garden a lot in that “No Work” book. I toss a lot of green scraps into my beds as I compost in place so I hope it’s calling in the good worms.

• Like Like x 1
  12. it is ,vermacomposting isnt it,i seen a video that was taken in arizonia,these kids at a school have taken in a new class they get credits for,so what takes place is 2 kids sitting at front of cafeteria collect the trays before the other puts them up for washing,one child takes all the scraps and the other places a small amount if bokashi and put on top of it,any way they collect the whole schools scraps,in 5 gal buckets,these buckets have a spicket on them to drain the juice,but in the back of the school they have in a controled area all these buckets stacked back there,they collect the juice and put in pails for later use,they also have kids in charge of rotation of them,when they are stored so many days the collection is then taken outside to the school garden,were some one has dug a trench along side the garden,it is all scaled out and planned,but they them bury the scraps with about 4 inches of soil and then when the trench is filled another is dug beside it and so on,these trenches look to be around 3 ft deep and they just stack and bury to they are filled ,they keep moving across the garden letting mother nature take it course and grow there own veggies for the school.
    with the bokasi it takes all smell from the scraps therefore you have no pressure from coons and possums and such,also it isnt a rotting smell to bother anyone that might complain.
    im here to tell ya this,if we did more stuff like this in our schools for our kids this world would be a much better place,you should see how happy and proud them kids were of there garden,when you participate in some thing they see with there own eyes done with there own hands that veggie sure taste better ,not to mention keeping them off the streets.
    man after i seen that i got out and made me some bokashi and started feeding my garden some too .sure enough need more programs as such back in the school,maybe before i go to the sky i will see it happen ,but sadly i doubt it,honestly it looks like they are trying to just do away with public schools and take away all human intervention from our kids.
    out of sight out of mind i guess,but as far as i know the program i mentioned is on going and is a class with credit scoring

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. i went to feed store bought a 50 lb bag of wheat bran then bought a bottle of em1 mother culture,mixed it all up ,made 5 /10 lb black contracter bags of the stuff,just put the bags in a can covered the can and sit in under some shade trees,for 2 weeks.
    after 2 weeks,spread out a tarp and spread one bag at a time over it and let it dry in the sun,just keep turning it,if you spread it thin it dries quicker.
    but ya use it in toliets drains,cats and dogs can eat it so can you ,but keep a bucket in your kitchen ,throw you scraps in there and cover with a little of the bokashi and it will not smell and i have tried throwing some over meat and does same thing no smell,that juice is nutrients ,feed to your plants,the rest bury in garden put another layer on it and the worms will fill your yard mate

• Like Like x 3
  14. I’ve got one bin going outside that I set up to attract worms in. I put scraps in there but haven’t checked it yet.

My local high school has a Horticulture program now that seems to do well. I’m glad they are offering that and wish it had been at my school.

• Like Like x 2
  15. I got 2 Brandywine tomato and 2 Jalapeño pepper seeds started today in the little water jug greenhouse I posted a pic of in the Lounge.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 52AF8B5A-F17C-43F5-9CC9-FD7E1094008E.jpeg DD88BD89-2703-4F4E-B7CF-7505C9C2ECD3.jpeg I covered one of my beds with a tarp to kill these large grass clumps that have taken it over and that should be some good nutrients as it rots. Probably a week or two? The other pic is the bed that I just let grow last year. I’m just going to cut it down or go spot by spot as I put the bottomless pots in, not sure yet. Got a mind to burn it out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cats knocked over my little greenhouse so I hope no damage is done. I’ll keep a check.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tho I don’t like to disturb plants, I had to get these out for baby pictures. They came up today. My guess is these are tomatoes (Brandywine) since peppers typically take longer. Excited to see this start to the season.

• Like Like x 1
  19. E166EACE-327F-47BC-BFA8-686D17DFB255.jpeg Of course

• Like Like x 2
  20. BA38A17E-12E1-4725-8110-D16BED859753.jpeg I started 1 Cayenne pepper and 4 Marigolds in my proprietary Happy Hippie Worm Farm And Gardens mini seed starter greenhouse. I’m have tough luck with peppers and the 2 jalapeño seeds I started never germed tho they were a bit old, I bought some fresh ones recently and will replant.

I ordered some Kiwi seeds in hopes of getting them started with the peach trees. I may do a thread but I’m interested if anyone else has tried them?

• Like Like x 2