Do we have free will

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Chenry, Aug 14, 2019.

1. I charge for my dick.

2. So you're a dick model?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Thoughts are much, much harder to control than actions. My gut reaction to believing in 'Free Will' is in the affirmative but I sort of know what you mean. Thoughts happen so quickly that you barely have any control over them. Have you ever tried meditation? This thing that thinks feels trapped in a corporeal body which will eventually perish. I definitely believe we are responsible for our thoughts, speech and actions though. We cannot blame our decisions on other people. Those other people may influence my thoughts and actions but they are not responsible for them. Peace.

4. If you did not have free will than you could not have chose to start this debate. This is what differentiates human beings from the rest. We are made in his image. He wants us to love and honour him and all his creations(which by the way were made for us). If we did not have free will the world would be peaceful as we would only take what we actually need just like the rest of the animals. We make choices freely. Some people are just more disciplined with their choices.

5. I was raised in a large (obviously!) catholic family, except for my dad. Catholicism teaches free will, as, you have the choice of living your life to determine whether you go to heaven or hell. (if god or heaven or hell really exists). I argued with one of my brothers over this free will issue. I argued that if I have free will, I choose to opt out of the 'system'. My bro said I couldn't do that, I had to pick heaven or hell. I claimed that if I had only these two choices, I did not have free will, thus insuring my free ticket into heaven. We dont argue religion anymore.

-c-

• Like Like x 1
  6. Think about what would have happened if you made the choice to replace 'free will' with Jesus Christ, been scripturally correct, then obtained truth and freedom from bondage deep down inside your soul. If it applies to you.

Being involved in Church and being a member of church is exceptionally important. the Church is the body of Christ. I watch Joel live on Youtube for free. Would I donate to them? I'm donating to them next time I can. One thing He taught me. It's time to grow up. And break chains.

But one thing I know, is I DO have a choice... to Live or to die. If you're with me, I went a bit deeper.

Edit: pure theology perspective, my main belief. If it offends you, scroll down. Thanks.

7. You don’t choose if you go to heaven or hell, Jesus does.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Wolves in sheep’s clothing. Be wise

9. You don’t replace free will with Jesus. Free will is Jesus.

10. Touche, but his version of free will was not coming from your perspective, it was coming from the perspective of free will 'in the world's perspective/view.'

11. Sorry, but there are no versions of free will. There either is free will (which I believe) or there is not. Jesus did not have versions as he only could speak truth as he is truth.

12. Yes and no. We have choice in the sense that I chose to come to this website but ALL of our choices are determined by nature/nurture ie: our genetic composition and how we are raised.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I have 4 children who are basically raised the same. They all choose a different breakfast. I disagree with you.

14. Siblings can have anywhere between 0 and 100% of the same genetic material so the nature is different there, and nurture is more than just how you raise them, but also how they experience the world in the time since they're born, which is different based on birth order and other factors.

15. This is one of dumbest posts of all time. If you can’t choose your actions then how could you be responsible for them? Just say what you believe. Don’t be a pussy

16. I can believe contradictory things. Fuck you. I'll believe what I want. And besides I don't have a choice in what I believe since I have no free will.

17. Why would you just say you believe what you want and then say you don’t have a choice in what you believe in. Read the New Testament and then make your arguments. You will no longer contradict yourself. Peace.

18. I too struggle with why Jesus spoke those words. I feel he was calling to the father and immediately after he spoke those words he was risen. The father had answered the son. That is how I see it. If I ever felt alone and called to my parents they would come running for me and not disappoint. This is what God did when Jesus felt alone in this world.

19. Well I'm going to read the whole bible, old and new testament, at some point but only for personal interest. But my point stands, I can't choose to believe differently than I do.