Do seeds really go bad?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Chew627, Aug 5, 2020.

1. I'm wondering if seeds really ever go bad? I know all the pros say toss em after a year, but I've had good results from seeds that were well over 3 years old. Anyone tried any older than 3 years? Anyone had bad results from "old" seeds? I personally think it's a bunch of shit to get ppl to buy fresh expensive seeds at higher prices, but I could be wrong....

• Like Like x 1
  2. i've never heard anyone say to toss seeds after a year?

i've used 10 year old seeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I think it depends on the seed, what condition it was in the first place and the storage you've used.
    Though most are pretty hardy.
    I mean chances are if it doesn't sprout after a year it wasn't going to in the first place...

Like if you've got some super pale, light coloured seeds that kind of roll around funny (you'll see a difference) and don't pass a simple light push test without cracking or crumbling...those are generally the shitty ones.

If they look a darker colour, kind of "plump" and a bit shiny, pass the press test and weigh what they look like they ought to, you should have something that at least sprouts.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Oh yea I know I'm talking good seeds that I've had for a while. I don't save immature seeds. Even if they sprout, they end up as weird ass plants that are a pain to keep up with.

Ok that's what i was thinking... thanks guys

5. Although seeds do not technically “go bad,” expiration dates are used on seed packaging as a measure of the likelihood that the seeds will be viable. ... Some seeds will maintain high germination rates for up to five years but others, such lettuce, will lose vigor as soon as one year in storage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. I have some 20 year old seeds that won't pop but I believe proper storage of the seeds is a major factor in the longevity of the seeds viability to sprout

• Like Like x 1
  7. A friend grows from seed stored in his freezer for 30+ years, , , ,

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. I wish I had frozen and saved my best seeds from the old days of buying weed that came with them, even if to give them away for some freebies from growers. ALL of them were from imported weed types that came from Columbia, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm using seeds way over 10 years old

they do dry out tho and many require special handling

good luck
    store in raw rice in the freezer IMO

• Like Like x 1
  10. they found hemp seeds in an egyptian tomb and they were viable and grew... Yours should be ok

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. If not stored properly they can go bad. I found some seeds that were over 10 years old and a few of them popped others didn’t.

12. yes, over time they can become less viable but they can last years when cleaned, dried and stored properly
    you should also select only the best seeds to save to limit problems with storage

• Like Like x 1