Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

DIY - ONA Odor Control Bucket (CHEAP & EASY!)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Newbiegrowr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. If anyone else recommended that I might need to test it to make sure it works, but I trust rhapsody and his work.

Would you say it removes the odor like O.N.A or covers it up, rhap?

2. A very good friend of mine has a nose like a bloodhound. He can smell anything anywhere practically. He assures me that he can't smell anything in my grow room except O.N.A.

3. I think it just works if your out of ONA not a replacement for it oviously. I think it more covers it up.

4. Hey guys I've been following this thread for a while now, and I must say I'm impressed with the results I've been reading. I'm going to be starting a new grow soon, but I am moving into an apartment so odor control is obviously going to be a big issue for me. I will be growing in my closet with a 400w hps with and exhaust, a home made carbon filter will be attached to the end, that will run out the door which will be cracked open. I am also planning on having an ona bucket running the whole time. I will be growing 5 plants, each a different strain. (chocolope, sour kush, pineapple chunk, lsd, and uk cheese) I'm not doubting the effects of the ona bucket, but I have heard cheese can get quite stanky. Do you think I will be fine with my current planned set up, or will I need something extra?

5. Awesome thread newbiegrowr, I have decided to go with this method since I have only two plants ever at a time now, I think this alone will do the trick. Although I will supplement with a HEPA filter ionizer, probably.

The only thing I will do different than you is the lid. I happen to have some 5 gal buckets with the snap on plastic lid that comes with them. I will cut a 6" hole in the plastic lid, using a 6" metal fan, I will remove the front of the grill and screw the fan right on to the lid.

Great idea, +rep for you man.

6. Sorry for the late reply guys. That cheese will be very strong, especially if grown well. You might want to keep your O.N.A concentration a bit strong.

7. Got my resupply of ONA Concentrate in today. Rather then fill the bottom of the bucket with soil moist then adding ONA/Water mix I decided to do something different. The main prob with pouring in the bucket is you have a pretty large surface evaporation to deal with. Hence adding water/ona blend in pretty often...at least in my case.

So what I did was fill up 2 mason jars up with Soil Moist ONA/Water mix and placed in the middle of the bucket. Seems to smell about as strong at least from what I can tell..and a much lower evap rate.

8. Alright cool, I wasn't sure if an ona bucket would be sufficient enough for a cheese plant, but sounds like it will do just fine. What concentration would you suggest? Thanks!

9. Let me know how that works out in the long run. It's not a bad idea.

10. Your bucket and concentration level will need to be tweaked before it's at maximum efficiency. Try adding 4 ounces of O.N.A per gallon to start. In fact that will probably be incredibly strong. You may want to do 2 ounces per gallon and add in 1 TBSP of O.N.A per small amount of water (just to prevent pouring pure O.N.A concentrate into the soil moist dillude the O.N.A in a small cup of water. I use empty plastic water bottles myself.)

11. Thanks dude. After a day of it running what I do notice is the ONA smell is less but not like crazy less. Obviously there is less surface area now to blow on. I also would suggest stirring it up as well some.

I came accross this at Target today and bought a bottle..gonna try that as well. Its about 3.50 for a bottle. Says it destroys all odors. Its just not a fabric spray like Fe breeze. Its for the air, surfaces etc. If it works even 80% as good as ONA its certainly a much cheaper alternative. Right now I am testing it out in my humidifier. I added a little.

http://www.renuzit.com/products/pure-breeze-super-odor-neutralizer/

I have been using the gel cones to last two weeks around the house. There only like 89 cents at Target I think. They have a wide variety but also have a Super Odor one. Works alright so far in that regard.

I feel like a odor fanatic but all it takes is just one time and your fucked. Like seriously fucked so I will continue to be a odor control fanatic. Most of the new guy questions always seem to revolve around ...is it safe to order online rather then putting thought into odor control. That should be a growers first order of business, not secondary.

12. The way I see it is some people try to figure out how to grow better in various ways and some people like to focus on security. It all depends on what you need more at the time. We're working on the odor control aspect so hopefully it'll help someone else in the future.

Hopefully it already has. =O

13. Subbed, ingenious idea

14. I wish I could take credit for it. I saw a DIY made by someone else who had seen it on another forum entirely. I figured I could build one for really cheap and post my results. Looks like it's helped a few people and everyone is experimenting with their to help improve the design.

15. Glad you posted what you found here. There are so many other sites GC.com is just where I kinda settled for it. Would of never found it otherwise. It works great IMO. If your using ONA or some other kind of odor chemical it works just works great. It does not absolve you from also using other odor control devices but I would say that about 50% of anything is negated by this bucket.

Its so good actually ONA sells there own pricey version of it if any one here has noticed. Theres is cool but for the price I could build 3 of these things.

Whats cool also its scaleable the design that is. I am actually very soon building a mini verison of it to put in the giant wardrobe box I am constructing for drying. I am taking a Wardrobe box cutting slits at the top and putting in a PC fan to draw air out..Also putting a flat filter over the PC fan for odor. Inside though I am going to put a mini container with a tiny fan on top.

16. You could recess the smaller one into the bottom of the wardrobe and just have it pull in the air and blow the O.N.A out of the bottom of the wardrobe.

17. Just made one of these tonight, should've gotten the Fresh Linen instead of the Polar Crystal scent- it smells like Gold Bond to me. Oh well. Thanks so much for this thread and the DIY info, works great!

18. Well the fresh linen smells better but the polar crystal has a stronger odor. If you feel you have things under control you could try the fresh linen next time. I wouldn't expect a big difference in performance as everyone has said the bucket works great for them regardless of the scent of the O.N.A.

19. Saw a thread about this before and was really interested in doing it until i read that it made your dried herb smell of ona - did you find this to be true?

20. I don't know what those guys did but my dried herb taste and smelled great. Maybe they had it in direct contact with their plants. I usually keep it in the room outside of my grow closet.

I have grown and dried 2 different batches and both did not smell or taste like O.N.A.