Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

DIY - ONA Odor Control Bucket (CHEAP & EASY!)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Newbiegrowr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Hey fellas just built me my ONA oder Control bucket. I opted for a 5 gallon bucket I got at Walmart. I bought the top as well.

I drilled out a billion holes and then cut the top of the bucket top to fit the fan. It actually fits pretty snug. If I cut some more I should be able to get the fan to snugly fit in. Either way I will duct tape all around it.

My soil moist and ONA havent come in yet but I am excited to let y'all know how well it works once it does!

Everything was so cheap. I have a question...can the soil moist be used over and over again?

Attached Files:

2. yeah soil moist just dries back up into a crystal. all you need to buy again is ona and use some tap water.

3. any idea about any other stores where i could pick this stuff up?
    there are NO hydro stores for at least 3hours of me
    and i don't do credit cards and VERY RARELY buy online so please don't refer me there, unless its a real good price and they except money orders or cash

4. most places do accept a money order. and buying ona isnt suspicious in the least. But some places have it by the diapers and stuff. i doubt they will have the ona concentrate anywhere like that though.

5. not worried about being suspicious, i just don't subject myself to anymore financial slavery than that which is required of me by law, even that i resent...
    but if thats the case, throw up some sites that you'd recommend if you can't think of a store, thx for any help

i plan on incorporating this bucket into my first indoor, which will probably be next year i think, could use it this fall come harvest time for drying too...
    btw +rep newbiegrower for the diy

6. Go to walmart get a prepaid mastercard. Charge it up with 100 bucks buy online. I ordered all my crap this week and getting it on the 28th. I live in Atlanta and found it hard to find all the stuff people recommend as the best. Its just now something anyone carries.

7. thx forgot about that, was gonna do that with GC lil while ago but thye don't work outta the us, so i'll just send some cash in next time i have it

8. The fan, bucket are easy to get at homedepot..walmart etc. The other stuff had no luck..but its on its way tomorroW

9. Home Depot should have the buckets, and the Soil Moist is in the gardening department. Any gardening store/nursery will have soil moist or some generic alternative which is what I use.

O.N.A is a little more tricky to find. I got mine at a hydro shop but that might not be an option for you. Rhapsody recommended getting a prepaid credit card and order it online: that's the best way to go if you can't find a local shop that has it. Try baby stores (or whatever they're called if they have a name). Believe it or not one of the most popular uses for O.N.A is for baby diaper hampers. Man... babies stink!

Soil Moist is completely reusable. I have not bought new soil moist since I have made my bucket. It will discolor but that's normal. It's still fine.

& thanks for the rep! I appreciate it a lot. I hope I can return the favor some day. =)

10. The soil moist will become discolored, but it's still good. I have not had to replace it yet and I don't plan on it.

By the way your bucket looks better than mine! Thanks for posting the pics. +rep

11. No prob dude. Well I would of used a bucket but didnt have one and saw the 5 gallon thing at Walmart when I went to get a bucket. Then saw the top and was a fit. Was a bitch carving out the hole though. Oh well will last forever!

12. FWIW I've found that a lot of the "gardening" stuff you see on GC is easier to find at Lowes than Home Depot. I dont know why, but it just seems like Lowes has a better selection of stuff like Perlite, vermiculite and soil moist

13. i really like this thread i have all these things around the house and shed bar the ona stuff witch ill pick up from the shop tomorrow becoz smell is becomeing a problem and my carbon fan cant handle the smell alone ill post up my build when i can rep plus brother thank

14. Thanks for the rep. Let us know how your bucket is working for you.

15. cant beleave it my hydro shop is shut useing the wedding thing gutted have to be tomorrow to get it will post up my build soon

16. What?

17. im confused weres the light ?

18. Got my ONA in today I added a little under 1/4 a cup, water and soilmoist. Seems to work great! The smell from my 4 plants vegging is now gone. I have my grow tent in my spare bathroom and keep the fan on 24/7 so I dont expect the ONA to penetrate throughout the house. Great DIY

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

19. That's a good spot for it, Rhapsody. The smell of those plants won't make it past that bucket. Sometimes you can add just a little plain water to the soil moist and that will cause some of the dried up O.N.A to be released from the soil moist. I've noticed that the water evaporates quicker than the O.N.A.

20. There are no lights. This is a DIY build to help with controlling the strong odor of the plants.