Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

DIY - ONA Odor Control Bucket (CHEAP & EASY!)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Newbiegrowr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. #361 mrg211, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013
    Hey guys first time grower here. I  am growing 1 fem AK48 plant  in a PC grow box. I hear this strain can be somewhat stinky. My question is will 1L of ona gel be enough to eliminate the odor in my apartment  and even more importantly keep the odor from being smelled outside? Im talking when its late in flower not veg. Thanks in advance guys. Have a good one. :smoke:

btw my place is about 900 square feet if that makes a diffrence.

2. The ONA bucket can do a lot to help in this. However just a block of the gel isn't gonna do much you will need a way to distribute the ona to the rest of the room. This fan does wonders even just a smaller version of it than the 5 Gallon bucket will do a damn good job at it. I have heard that a lot of people that get the gel get annoyed because it dries out so fast and then they have to buy another block. The DIY at the beginning that tells you how to make your own ONA gel is really the way to go and keep it cost efficient. 

I have about a 800 sq ft house and I use a small bucket and it keeps it smelling right. I had 6 AK47 plants in full flower and you couldn't smell it over the bucket. If you are going to grow smelly strains like that you might wanna look into a carbon scrubber.

3. Thanks for the reply. That helped to put my mind at rest some. As for the carbon scrubber my grow area is very limited. Its in a Mr grow pro PC server tower. Not sure how I could make that work in such a small area.

You could make your own small carbon scrubber fairly easy actually using pencil cups or net pots for hydro, panty hose, and active carbon from the fish dept at walmart =)

5. Hey guys, I was on working out of town for a few days and missed the new posts!

Kitsune, as always, hit the nail on the head. The bucket will easily handle your odor and then some. It is always recommended that you have a second form of odor protection. If the first one fails you'll be glad you spent a few extra bucks on a backup.

A carbon scrubber is your best choice for a secondary form of odor control. Here is a link to another sticky that might help DIY Carbon Filter Compendium

6. I was fixated on getting the pencil cups but I had problems finding them cause I never goto office supply stores. I was stressing getting there but then my wife said why don't you use net pots instead.. Another reason I love her she occasionally gives me ideas. While the holes might be bigger on a net cup, there are so many varying sizes on the net cups you can literally make any size carbon scrubber your heart desires. Since the cups are meant to stack together they are perfect in making carbon scrubbers. Thinking about doing a DIY of them 

7. Awesome guys thanks for the great info. Will try that out when shes getting closer to flower... right now shes only on day 4 of life lol.

8. #368 acrashedcab, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
    We have 2 plants. One massive Royal Haze and one smaller Northern lights in the closet of a 18 x 15 room. Between my DIY ONA bucket and the carbon filter, I have no smell issues whatsoever (landlord even hung out in the same room during flowering). Getting the right balance of water to ONA concentrate takes a little while, but once you hit the sweet spot, it just erases the smell. Using other techniques like negative pressure, you can even contain the ONA's scent if you want to. We put a fan by the door to the room blowing towards the room's center. Using this technique, when someone comes into the apartment, they don't smell anything different until they come into the room.

9. I just use the fresh linen and tell people it's a glade plugin lol

10. lmao kit no one is the wiser

CrashedCab thanks for the update and I'm glad to see the bucket is working out for you man. It's still doing wonders for me

11. Would the bucket help with 6 18'' to 2 footers?  Has anyone had luck with this diy for multiple flowering plants?  Great idea btw

I have used it for multiple flowering plants and so have others here. It will do the job. Enjoy!

13. Much appreciated!
    Take it easy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Much appreciated!
    Take it easy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Made one of these eliminated the smell also soaked into the budz now I have a nasty soap tasting smoke I recommend putting outside your grow room...

16. That is unusual, Joe. I had mine literally under my plants for one of my grows from start to finish and the bud tasted fine. For general purposes, though, outside your grow tent is where the bucket needs to be.

I'm going to go out on a limb here: Did you use a very large amount of O.N.A or a non-ONA product?

17. Wow sounds like a bunch may have been used, but yeah I recommend a decent exhaust system with this as a backup when company comes over.

18. I didn't consider the lack of a proper ventilation system. I suppose without proper air circulation the O.N.A has no choice but to settle on the plants.

19. Sick man ..where can u get the materials to make the gel?

20. Are you guys running your buckets 24/7 during flower? only growing one plant for personal use, so this will be my primary source or odor control.