Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

DIY - ONA Odor Control Bucket (CHEAP & EASY!)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Newbiegrowr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Yeah, I added some more tape this afternoon. It's pretty solid. Also, I'll repost the pic b/c I think the image was lost during the updates they were performing today.

[​IMG]

2. Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I use OdorBan (homedepot sells it for $10/gal) and get excellent results. In fact I dilute it by about 1/2-1/3 with water. There are many scents and I've had best results with lavender...you can get lemon, orange, eucalyptus, etc..

I have a carbon filter that filters my exhaust, but opening the door to the growroom can release a lot of dank into the house when things get ripe and rolling so this has saved my butt. Thanks so much for the tutorial!!

• Like Like x 2

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that when I need more ONA and post the results

• Like Like x 1
  4. My mini ONA bucket has still been rocking out at the house. Is currently the only odor protection I am using in week 8 of flower and can't smell anything in the house at all. Just need to refresh once a day for best results =)

• Like Like x 2
  5. #345 Newbiegrowr, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013

I'm putting together a smaller bucket too. It worked well for you so I wanted to see if a smaller one will take care of business in my setup.

EDIT: Thanks for posting your results and updating! Without sharing knowledge where would we be?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mine is approx. 1 gal (bucket) and the top is just large enough for a clip on fan to rest on top. Works great in the room, but I'm skeptical of using ONA or anything else as an ONLY source of odor control...esp. if you live in a non legal state and exhaust. Helps keep indoor odors down though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. You may want to upgrade to a larger bucket and see how that works out for you. If I were in a non-legal state I would have multiple odor control systems regardless of how effective one is. I firmly believe it's better to be safe than sorry. Man, you can't ever be too cautious these days...

• Like Like x 3
  8. I agree with you guys on the multi layers of protection but I am having problems getting the carbon filter up in the room as it is a bit heavy and my back is pretty bad. Plus the room is filled at the moment with plants and I have damaged them enough working in there. Probably going to put it up when I harvest and I can fully walk into my room and get it up there. Only the 2 weeks away from harvest and the smell isn't bad at all still so that is probably why the ONA buckets are taking care of the job this well by themselves. Strains i am growing:

4 C99
    1 Chemdawg
    1 OG Kush
    2 Black Water

Whenever I open the door tothe room it smells like fruity loops or pineapples. When I get a really stinky strain in there we will see what the ONA buckets can really do.

• Like Like x 2
  9. That is a nice grow indeed kit. I have a friend who also grows for medical purposes but he pretty much just grows the clones I've gotten him. I want to get him a seed for his birthday so that immediately means I have a greater variety to choose from. Could you recommend a strain that a beginner can grow without much trouble while still getting good results?

I have bought and grown seeds based on the description on the sites but they pretty much say everything is good. Go figure lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. btw I hope you can get some relief from that back pain soon. Back injuries are one of the hardest to get over I believe. We use the muscles in our back so much. We don't really notice how much we rely on them until there's a problem and suddenly you can't even stand without pain.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rumor has been going around that ONA has been affecting the smoke/smell of the actual dry buds themselves? Just came to check up if anyone has noticed anything different, or even a bitter / unusual taste... I plan to use one of the mini's for a auto I want to get going soon.

12. I have a few grows under my belt using my big ONA bucket. I have tried it outside and inside the closet I grow in but I have found that leaving it on the outside is the best way to go for my grow.

Whether the fan has been on the inside with the plants or on the outside, I have not noticed any of the ONA smell or taste passing on to the bud I've grown. I can see that happening if you go overboard with ONA though. It's not supposed to affect plants and settle on furniture like that but with too much you never know...

Damn dude I am really sorry I didn't see this question til I came back to the thread. In my experience so far the easiest strain I have grown was C99. It also has a really nice fruit smell.

• Like Like x 1
  14. No worries man. With the forum change and all everything was a bit up in the air

15. I believe the site I order from has c99. I'll check it out for sure. Thanks kit =)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Great thread. Two questions-

What's the maintenance like for this? Replacing the gel maybe?

Also, could you just use some kind of strong citrus-smelling agent instead of ONA gel?

17. O.N.A. does more than just mask the smell, it actually eliminates it.

I have to add more water every 3 days about. I keep a gallon of pre-mixed solution near the bucket and that will last we about 2 weeks. An entire bottle of O.N.A. lasts me about 2+ months with 2 plants flowering

• Like Like x 1
  18. So... I wanted to make one of those today, went and bought ONA (hydro store didn't have the soil moist). I get in the car right after buying it... 3 minutes later I hear an explosion and a massive scent of linen fills up my car few seconds later... Cap exploded off of the bottle, spilled all over in my car. More than half lost lol... And it was the last bottle they had too! Though I'll get a free one next time they restock, so that's all good.

So for people who want to do this: if it's very hot outside, open the bottle to release the pressure buildup in it once in a while unless you want it to explode like mine did. 

Few hours later now, the car still smells like it, can't even close the windows and use AC (100 degrees and outrageous humidity outside) because the scent is so potent you'd get a headache in seconds if you didn't ventilate it constantly... So watch out.

On a positive note, once the smell chills down a little, my car will smell amazing for a while haha :D 
    And still got enough of what's not spilled to do the project anyway. So it all turned out good in general :) 

Will report back with results later tonight once I make it. Whole place reeks of bud, not that my nose minds it, but why raise suspicions. 

Holy Crap!! How in the hell can you breath in the same place as all that concentrate??? Half a bottle is insane! Your car will probally smell like that forever... On the plus side it eliminates a lot of odors. 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Yeah Dodoz, your car will be an ONA machine for a long time. I'm sorry that happened! I will be sure to release the pressure from my bottle from now on

• Like Like x 1