Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

DIY - ONA Odor Control Bucket (CHEAP & EASY!)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Newbiegrowr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. It appears you are all interested in a mini version of this ONA bucket.

Here is mine (made out of a COOLTRON mini fan (amazon.com) and a folgers coffee cup):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Effectivity: High -- Needs to be frequently hydrated and refreshed with ONA.

I use it to blow smoke directly into it.. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG

2. Thanks for posting your pics and results! Nice blunt, too ;)

I keep bottles of water/ONA solution next to my bucket. Sometimes it has lots of ONA in the gel but it's just low on water, so if you add a bit of water in there the ONA scent comes right back.

3. I have not mixed the gel yet because I am lazy and don't want to run down stairs and get the soil moist out of the wife's car. The ONA is in here but no use without the soil moist lol. Thinking about mixing it with the water tonight. Question on that. I have read so many different dosing instructions on this thread that I am confused lol. Going to mix a Gallon of ONA mixture. Have heard 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 2 oz, 4 oz per gallon of water? I want to start light and then add a TBS extra ONA til I get the mix right.

Last question is how much of the soil moist do I add to the container? Should I mix the gel then add it to the container to make sure there isn't overflow from the mix?

Here is my container!

[​IMG]

My mother is using a protein supplement shake and these containers are nice. I cut the top out and zip tied a USB desk fan in there. Testing the fan it used plenty of air flow from the holes. Nice thing is the lid comes off very well =). Used the USB desk fan because is easier for me to use a USB plug to wall plug.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Most people on here are using different sized containers so they all use different amounts of ONA. Your instincts are correct: You should start small and see how much you need to take care of your specific grow.

I would recommend at least 4 TBSPs per gallon to start, although you would need to tweak it and likely add more later on. (keep in mind that 1 tbsp is 15mls, and 30mls is an ounce)

5. Thanks i am going to experiment tonight and get things rolling. Will update with my results later :) thanks for the help and the idea to make this.

6. Happy to report success. I finally went down and got the Soil moist and made the mixture. 4 TBSP was almost too much! Literally it is just on the very verge of being over powering. Turned on the fan and the whole house smelled like a laundromat in minutes! Even with the door to the grow room open with a fan on the ONA fan completely took over the smell.. I am only going to be turning it on when people are over, or if the smell starts to take over the house... Seeing as how I am getting a 440 cfm fan with a carbon scrubber in a couple of weeks I don't think there is going to be any problems with smell! =) Since I am growing AK 47 that makes me really happy since it is a pretty strong smelling strain.

Preparing for all the tweaking I will have to do to the mixture and thinking things are going to be pretty good =) Really happy with the results! Good thing is also? I have 2 more of these containers, and those fans only cost $4 on ebay. Still have half a bag of soil moist so I could easily make another one if I had to.

Thinking about adding some cinnamon oil soon to see if that influences the smell at all.

7. Glad to hear you had good results! If you do try oils and such please keep us updated so others can use what you learn to their advantage!

Also keep in mind that if you do use oils you should probably try and dillute them (as best you can seeing as how it's an oil) in a liquid. Maybe add the oil to the ONA solution.

8. DIY works fantastic without the oils, but trying something new can't hurt and might be more effective.

9. I don't think it will make it more effective but if it would make the smell a little more like what I would like then I will have a good day.. Might just end up being lazy and buying a couple of the cheap air fresheners to cover the rest of the linen smell heh.

10. I know they don't cover much at all I was referring to add to the ona scent to make it more pleasing. Still gonna experiment and try some things.

11. Gotta ask, whats your pic? Always lookin like boobs on my phone

12. #293 Newbiegrowr, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
    This bucket isn't supposed to cover the smell of anything, it primarily works by eliminating the odor molecules altogether.

Give the bucket a shot.

13. I know I eliminates odors and is still working great haven't had to refresh with water yet as I use it sparingly when people might be over. I was meaning to mask the scent of the ona not a huge fan of it. Or would the ona also fight the scents from air fresheners??

Sorry I am just musing here and thinking a loud will report my findings here. Gonna experiment in the next few weeks since I already made a gallon. Think I will add some cinnamon extract or let ona soak up cinnamon sticks.

Ps yes my sig is tits. My wife's actually

14. I just put it in the tent. Smells like the tent is a fresh odor producer.

15. No fun... want really hurtin noone, just blazin and havin a good time.. sorry folks, movin on... doors still open tho..

16. I am waiting on my ona concentrate to show up so I can make my bucket. My wife n I both smoke and we have 2 cats so I will be covering up all kinds of smells lol. I'll let you know how it all works out.

17. I need some help eliminating odor, so thanks for the tips. Growing 48 plants in a basement set-up, with 24 plants flowering. Venting both rooms through chimney, which normally keeps me pretty odor free. Recently discovered that my temps were going too low when the lights are off, so now my exhaust fan is on the same timer at the lights. Temps are good now, but the odor isn't.

18. You need a carbon filter for that many plants. Use the bucket to compliment the filter. It would have to be a decent sized filter.

19. I do have a carbon filter. It's inline with the exhaust duct, and filters the exhaust just before it goes up and out the chimney. The odor I want to eliminate is what occurs during the 12 hours I have the exhaust fan and lights turned off. As I mentioned above, I just discovered that I can't run the exhaust fan when the lights are not on because my temperature gets too low.

I think one or two of these buckets placed in different rooms of the "grow basement" may work great and is much cheaper than a shitload of Glade Plug-Ins all over the f'n house.