DIY - ONA Odor Control Bucket (CHEAP & EASY!)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Newbiegrowr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Great idea man! Seems like this wld be used for larger grows though. I bought the starter hydro kit from Caligrowkits and only plan growing 2 plants at time out of a bedroom closet. I'm wondering if the bucket wld be overkill? Have u heard of Odor Eliminator - Odor Control - Odor Removal : Stop the Smell!
    If it works, it seems like this wld be what a recreational gardener like myself wld need. Had to bump this thread...odor control can never be talked about enough!

2. will probably build one of these here soon for my ghetto, low security(not the wisest lol) grow that i got going...

3. Sorry, no. The moisture absorbing crystals hold something like 10 times their weight in water. Perlite holds some water, but not near enough to be useful in this case.

4. why is this still not a STICKY ?

5. has anyone yet found an online source for the ONA?

6. I think that using some sturdy wood or Styrofoam will keep it more air-tight on the lid once the fan is placed on it, seeing how cardboard will weigh a bit in the middle and thus lift the sides slightly towards the ends

7. Bumping the thread with a successful bucket:

[​IMG]

8. #249 yomandude, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
    all I have to say is WOOOOWWW!!!

I was searching for some way of odor control because my small DIY carbon filters weren't doing a good job and I have only PC fan so airflow suffered a lot!! I am only in veg (2 month in using CFLs) but there was a distinct Purple Kush smell in my whole appartment if I left my bedroom door open.

I went and bought ONA concentrated liquid after work, built a miniaturized version using a 2L sprite bottle and spare 80mm PC fan.

Within 2 minutes my bedroom was completely odor free except for a fresh linen scent... but I think I put way too much ONA liquid, it smells kinda strong but not annoying and it will probably dissipate over time. I could also tell that it did not only mask the scent, it completely removed it! :D

VERY HAPPY with my 20$ spent on ONA juice!!!

Edit : added some pics of my cabinet for your enjoyment! Can't wait for the flower portion to be filled with stinky b*tches!

Attached Files:

9. Anyone know if 'Aqua Crystals' will do the same job as 'Soil Moist Polymer'? (UK)

10. #251 puntacometa, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
    Ghetto version of the Ona Storm for OD grows:

5 gal paint bucket from Home Depot or your local hardware store.

Water Gel Crystals:
    Polymer Crystals

Milk crate from Walmart, Office Depot or wherever -plastic milk crates - Walmart.com
    Drop this over the top of the bucket providing flat surface for.......

Box fan from Home Depot or
    Wal Mart
    20 in. 3-Speed Box Fan-3733 at The Home Depot

Use some cheap zip ties to secure fan to milk crate (optional but recommended). Now you can just lift the fan and milk crate off the top of the bucket to refill it and then drop it back into place..........quick and dirty.

Add 1 oz (dry weight) of polymer crystal per 1 gal of distilled/RO water) to the 5 gal bucket. Hard water doesn't allow the polymer to swell to the degree that RO does. Allow to sit for 8 hours so they can swell. Then add Ona concentrate and mix it up thoroughly. Drop the fan/ milk crate assembly over the top of the bucket, plug it in and set the fan to whatever speed you need to broadcast the Ona over the grow area. Now you basically have one of these which they say will cover a 10k sq, ft. area.:
    For Odor Control in Large Areas - the quiet ONA Storm
    I don't know about that because I don't grow ID much any more but four of these contraptions with 5 gallon buckets full of Ona saturated polymer crystals can do a lot towards helping you to control the odor over a 1000 sq ft. OD area. The taller the grow the higher the fan speed. They are very quiet even at the highest settings. Medium speed works nicely with these 3 speed fans to get the Ona midway and higher in the canopy of plants that are 7-10' tall without it blowing away. When the breeze moves through the grow, so does the Ona without leaving a permanent odor in the bud. Do not use Ona in your curing room.....ever, unless you want your herb to taste like Ona.

;)

Attached Files:

11. How about ducting the exhaust straight into the side of the ona bucket? Would that work for some kind of DIY filter while getting the ona into the room as well?

12. i still think the average canfilter does the job much better...

13. I'm glad to see that so many people are using this bucket successfully and with so many variations.

That's a nice bucket btw, longboardstoned.

OBK, I'm sure hydro stores in the UK have the polymer crystals for sale.

As for my bucket: It's still working like a trooper! When I think it needs more polymer I just dump it into the old stuff, but that's rare.

14. Why did you even bother posting in this thread? Has nothing to do with the topic.

Anyway, I'm gonna build me one of these, it looks perfect for my grow. +Rep and likes to OP! In fact I may just fav it in browser :hello:

15. do you think this would be less or more effictive in smaller fan scattered around a room? i was thinking of putting 2 or 3 small red solo cup ones with usb comp fans or maybe a bit larger like a 1L setlzer? like have one right behind the grow cabinet another by the door and one more a few feet in front of the growbox?

16. Is it better to make the gel with the concentrate and polymer than just buying the gel? For me, the gel would be cheaper to purchase than the concentrate and polymer.

17. @graffetto: You can make several smaller fans and try it, I don't know if it would work well. You may want to just make sure you have a lot of surface area in terms of the gel itself.

@brassknuckles: You could buy the gel premade but when the O.N.A solution in the gel begins to run out you would have to buy more concentrate anyways, in order to replenish the spent polymer in the pre-made O.N.A gel.

18. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is that your grow is secure.

19. You can buy the soil moist polymer in the uk Where it is known as "water magic", I've used it in hanging baskets so the compost doesn't dry out too fast.
    Great thread man.