Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

DIY - ONA Odor Control Bucket (CHEAP & EASY!)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Newbiegrowr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. With the premade O.N.A dispensers they cost a lot and you don't get a lot of power out of them, not to mention they only screw onto the tops of pre-made O.N.A GEL so you have to invest in at least 1 bucket of O.N.A gel as well as the concentrate that you need no matter what. When you build it yourself you get to add in anything you want. I have mine on a built-in timer, 3 speed fan, large bucket, and lots of other things I've done to it in order to make it more effective.

The pre-made dispenser is a lot easier if you want to spend the extra cash and you don't have more than 2 plants growing.

The cheapest I found the O.N.A breeze 35 CFM small dispenser was for about $40 from a questionable seller (that's including shipping and handling). Then you need the gel bucket which will cost you about $15, then the concentrate for roughly $20.

2. #202 Freshfed, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Oh, well I got the auto mister with full spray for $30 total. Working every 7.5 mins no prob for the last 3 weeks. I love the bucket idea just for having it on shown in my house, isnt practical. So plants in the attic, mister down below. :) love ona!

3. Does your auto-mister completely kill off any and all odor from your plants? I have 6 plants growing currently and I can guarantee that a small mister would not even come close to dealing with the odor.

If you turn off the auto-mister, can you smell your plants from downstairs? Can you smell the O.N.A in your attic?

I set up and positioned my bucket so the odor never leaves a small confined space. I want people to be able to stand in the room with my plants and tell me they can't smell them at all. That's what I currently have going. The plants are in a large walk-in closet and you can't smell anything outside or inside the closet.

I have a strong feeling that the small auto-mister works better when you don't have a lot of people to hide your plants from. I've had my entire family visit me and stand literally 2 feet from my grow closet and not suspect a thing. THAT'S odor control!

At the end of the day only one thing matters: what works in your grow. One day we'll live in a world where we can cultivate plants freely. Until then we can only help eachother. Post a link to your auto-mister so people can see what you're using and decide if it's right for them. Heck I might even get one just as extra odor control! Can't smell too good! =)

4. you can do the same, but cheaper this way:
    [​IMG]
    just cut a hole a tad bigger than the fan blades, screw the fan down, & then seal any cracks w/ silicon

5. As long as it deals with the odor.

I personally don't like the gel. You end up having to buy the concentrate anyways to refresh the gel so you end up with the same situation as if you had just bought the generic soil moist and the concentrate.

6. #206 Freshfed, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    You can't smell anything with the ona working, i have 9 flowering now plus 20 in
    Veg, not to mention i just cropped 8 plants and had zero smell escape (according to a
    Friend who came over 20mins after i trimmed, said he didnt smell a thing) but no I can't smell ona in my attic, and really don't want that stuff near my plants! Here's the mister, using it for the last 3-4weeks without any problems and plenty still in the can. Perfect for having in the house on display, nobody suspects a thing! Peace

Attached Files:

7. I was thinking about making this for my set-up and adding some essential oils to it. Do you think adding essential oils into the gel would help with the smell of the ona gel? Or do you think the essential oils erode the gel?

8. Correct me if wrong but ONA is just a mixture of terpenes -- one of the main constituents of essential oils.

9. They use terpene to make Marinol. I think it is in marijuana in small traces.

10. I was wondering if anyone noticed a change in RH (relative Humidity) in the room when runningnthis setup. Also if the crystals where only partially saturated, will they pull moisture from the air or continue to put more into the air? Any thoughts?

I'm in flower not and recommended RH is around 40 but I'm struggling to get below 49. I'm am using a dehumidifier but its rainy season and indoor the a/c seems to pull moisture in keeping most of the house around 60-65 in the summer.

Just wondering if this is a good idea, can't risk mold

11. I haven't checked my RH and I have no idea if it changes the RH in any way. I don't think the soil moist will pull in moisture from the air, then again I've never left an open container of dry soil moist sitting around.

O.N.A is a mix of 32 essential oils and it does not erode the soil moist polymer.

If the mister works then I should give it a shot. Only problem is I don't have an attic to grow in. I grow inside of a large walk-in closet and it isn't airtight at all. It does smell nice, though. =)

12. I stopped using mine due to the swampy weather we have been having, the bucket started to get a funk thang goin on. I would have had to make a new batch with way less soil moist and less water to keep running it so I just tossed that mix out for now and to top it off my fan burned out a few days after lol.

13. is there a specific name forthe soil moist polymer? give me something so i can walk up to someone in home depot and ask lmao.

seriously please help asap

14. just ask for "soil moist polymer"

15. My fan has been running for months and is barely ever turned off. It has been a month or more now with it running non stop. Invest in a honeywell fan because they can put in the work and keep on going.

It's not too humid in California so I haven't had the funk issue. I figure you would need to filter the air going into the bucket but that's another problem. I have an AC system going in the summer to reduce the heat and humidity in the grow room so you might want to consider something of the sort if you can swing it. I was lucky enough to have an AC/dehumidifier that I could roll into my grow room.

16. Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. Ask for "Soil Moist." That's the brand name of the product and the generic (cheaper priced store brand) would most likely be right next to it. It'll be in the gardenning section most likely.

17. Thanks. Now I have 1 more question. ( sorry to bother) now if I put the whole air freshening unit in another half of my grow tank, would that clear the smell before it ever even came out the box?. And would that harm the plant ?

18. I like this idea.

Do you think it will work in an outdoor greenhouse? Im worried about stinking up the hood. I read the whole thread, I guess I would just use more ONA. Right? Maybe 2 buckets?

19. You. Should have one inside one outside. Thatl definetly kill it

20. Alot of people plants t herb gardens for outside to cover outdoor grow smells, alot of mint, basil, rosemary, thyme... high scented herbs like these are usually easy to grow, and can be made decorative, plus you can use them and it explains the need to buy gardening items. Not to mention can help make you a better gardner