Dark Green at Harvest

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by juliuserbin, Apr 19, 2021.

1. So my last few harvests have been frustrating as I can't seem to get my plants to autumn off & lose the nitrogen which I believe is the issue. I switched up my nute regiment and cant seem to pinpoint the issue.

I think Im dealing with nitrogen toxicity but not quite sure how to prevent it. Im using FloraMicro & FloraBloom from GH for my nutrient line.

I just go by what the bottle recommends but Im starting to question it as I seemed to keep getting dark green plants at the end of harvest. Never autumn off like I see other grows.

They end up looking nothing like the strain and the buds always come out the same! Super greeny! And they end up having this weird hay like smell its killing me. I will say they arent super fluffy but the smell & taste just isnt there. Could this be due to the excess Nitrogen?

Should I cut out the Micro in flower and just run Bloom so I don't overdo the nitrogen? But I dont want to cut out other nutes in the Micro to cut back N. Or should I be using the entire trio? Also when should I be feeding nutes? Every watering or?

I was told by a buddy that when I switch to flower I should only be using FloraBloom and to cut out the Micro cause it has N. He said plants dont use alot of it and you want the plant to finish all the N in its leaves towards the end of flower which makes them autumn off.

He said my buds will come out better & less harsh and planty tasting. Im not sure what to think at this point any suggestions would be dope cause Im losing it lol

Pics below:

Smaller plant looks chunky but was actually fluffy. The bigger one came out dense and alright but still harsh and planty.

When I dry I dry as slow as possible and try to keeo temps between 68-75 & humidity around 55-65%. Maybe theres an issue there?

Attached Files:

2. You should have listened to your friend!

Better yet, go organic soil. Nearly every problem I read about here is from people trying to grow in something unnatural.

3. #3 JKill, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    you definetly 100% do not need to grow organic as suggested.

you do not stop using flora micro at any point during the grow(last week or so if you wanted to flush is fine)

lastly, the directions on GH products are notorious for being WAY to strong.
    I use Floratrio and cut the formula way back to 1/4 strength and build up from there.

in my opinion, its easier to deal with the beginning of a small deficiency, than it is to deal with a massive overdose or toxicity.

your plants look good

4. A lot of people do a pre-harvest flush.
    That's starvation, and green leaves turn "autumny" when starved.

Those of us who don't flush enjoy the extra fattening that green leaves provide near harvest.

Most green things will smell like hay until dry.
    And flushing can't remove it.

I think you are worrying needlessly.

5. Thank you for the input! I'll definitely be backing off the nutes next grow your right its easier to fix a deficiency then trying to get rid of excess! I figured it would hurt my plant to stop using Micro during bloom as it has lots of Calcium which I thought is important to keep in check during flower.

Now I was doing some diggin and what Im getting from other people who only use Micro & Bloom say to feed more Bloom than Micro says it keeps everything available? This true?

Also have a few plants in flower showing some N toxicity so should I cut out the Micro some since it contains N? Or just feed less ?

6. Your probably right. I just read a lot about too much N can hurt yields and cause plants to have that greeny taste at the end. Seems to be my only problem is Im feeding too much.

7. I'm using GH Flora nutes right now, and their flower recommendation is for much less MicroGro than during veg.

8. Hmm so Im thinking I need to cut out the Micro to be honest. Because I seem to be overdoing it in flower. I think Ill just stick with bloom. Thinking back now one plant I grew came out phenomenal and I know it was before I got the Micro I was only using Bloom. FloraGro during Veg then Bloom at flower.. And she finished with pinks and purple leafs and smelled and tasted like fruit. Then I got Micro and tried to do away with the FloraGro..

Micro seems to just have too much N for me I guess. I like it for the Calcium but I have Cal/Mag I can supplement it for.

Literally all my recent harvest using Micro have looked exactly the same! Fluffy dark green buds that smell like grass even after cure.

If my plant doesnt use much N in flower couldnt it just ride out on whats in the leaves allowing them to properly fade & lose the chlorophyll?

Attached Files:

9. Micro gets its name from the essential micro-nutrients it contains, and that Gro and Bloom do not.
    Gro has most of the Nitrogen.
    GH recommends using less gro, and more bloom during flower.

My opinion is that reducing micro will be harmful.
    Just follow the relative proportions (but not the amounts) of Micro, Gro, Bloom, and CalMag that GH recommends.
    Plants need some N during flower too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. So what do you recommend I do? Theres too much N in the leaves already so flushing then adding Micro again I think will make it worse wont it?

11. I got this from a GH simple recirculation hydro feed chart, and took mL into account.
    For week 4 they recommend N P K = 7 6 11 (N = 7/24 = 29%)
    For week 9 they recommend N P K = 5 10 9 (N = 5/24 = 21%)

What that means is that GH believes your plants need more nitrogen than you think they do during flower.
    At most you should cut the micro in half so that you can continue getting micronutrients.
    For my plants I use the ratios GH recommends, and they continue their green fattening til harvest.

It's even likely that un-starved green plants at harvest will yield stronger bud.