Cloning with Aloe Vera

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by M. Night Shenanigans, Jan 7, 2021.

1. What’s up fellow growers, hope everyone’s holidays and new year was great. Wanted to make a journal to track my progress with cloning with Aloe Vera for this years outdoor season and if anyone else out there is thinking of also using aloe for cloning they can check and see how it worked out for me. This will be my first go at it. I like growing as close to organic as possible and I’m already growing aloe for my cannabis plants so why not use it for cloning too. My mom is a dosidos fem seed from i49 seed bank that I picked out of 3 phenos. I’m trying this with only one cutting to see how it all goes then will be cloning 5 more.
    I started with a cup of filtered water and put a 1/4 inch leaf size of aloe gel in the water and mixed it up. I cut open the aloe leaf and scrape out the gel with a spoon. Then harvested a cutting and put it in the cup for 12 hours. Then I cut an 1 1/2 inch size leaf and cut the leaf so there are two openings then placed the cutting into the leaf making sure not to go out the other end. I placed the cutting in a seed tray for support. If everything goes right I should see roots coming out the second opening in 7-14 days. I’ll update in 7 days.
    4327C24E-EE5F-4299-B3AA-43DD5066A8D1.jpeg C8822E6E-EFAE-4E08-AB06-D63BDA1D639B.jpeg ABE2922B-467E-458B-8198-77A72DDEA21E.jpeg 8BC0B5C6-353C-4D3D-8B0E-CB7EE6B3BF12.jpeg 4DAF99BD-1B65-4DF8-B80B-0A3F777AABA9.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Thank you! Definitely works best with a healthy mom. Hoping this all goes well

3. #4 M. Night Shenanigans, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    So here’s the update, 9 days ago I put the clone directly into aloe water for 12 hours then made my cut and put it directly into a chunk of aloe leaf then put it in a humidity dome I made with heat pad. It was looking good first 2 days but started dropping and continued to decline so I put it in soil to see if it would help. On day 9 I was sure it wouldn’t pull through and something was wrong. I’m thinking it was putting it directly into a chunk of aloe leaf. I’m trying it again but this time I will be dipping the clone in a chunk of aloe leaf as you would with regular cloning gel then putting it directly into soil then in the humidity dome. I’m thinking the aloe leaf wasn’t staying moist enough or it was to much rooting hormones. Determined to find a way that works for me. Here goes the second attempt. I’ll update again in a week.
    Here’s the first clone on day 9.
    832A3F6B-469F-4B00-8E4E-92F74B5C903F.jpeg
    Here’s the second clone.
    AD79E092-9A16-42B9-A658-84E11D54B42E.jpeg

4. Id say get number one under a humidity dome and see if it pulls out. I would guess number 2 is rooted.

5. Yeah the first clone has been under a humidity dome 80-90% with 70-80 degrees. She was looking good the first 2 days then just slowly declined. I’ve had clones that bounced back after drooping but never that much for that long. I just took the second clone yesterday so we’ll see how she is in a week.

6. Right on dude. I use rapid rooters so I knew when they establish. Hope number 2 makes it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah rapid rooters was my go to when I use to clone. I liked them better than rockwool cubes. Definitely gonna be hard to tell if they rooted in soil, I guess I’m looking for new growth and maybe some yellowing on the bottom leafs. I’m just trying a new way where I can use my plants to grow plants and use the soil I have on hand. Thanks man, hope this one makes it too.