Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Clear phlegm with brown spots?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Younggungrower, Aug 30, 2013.

• Agree Agree x 1

1. Hey mate, how did your trip to the doctors go? I’ve quit smoking for like 5 days now and still have brown (sometimes grey-ish) specks in my phlegm.

2. Hey,
    my ENT (ear-nose-throat) doctor didn't identify it as something specific when I visited her in April (about one week after quitting). She told me that it could be something like the lungs clearing themselves, but there are multiple accumulations that can result in this kind of phlegm in the throat. She also told me that it looks like it's mucus that stays in the same place for more time and it can get this darker colour, which would explain why it happens usually in the morning, because we don't get to clear our throats during the night.
    However, after I quit smoking at the beginning of April, I went from having it every single morning in the first 3-4 weeks after quitting, to having it only once a few days after about 6 weeks. The phlegm also got less dark and less dense. Currently I am experiencing it maybe about once a week, but it is no longer a daily thing.
    So, my conclusion is that the phlegm is related to smoking, and as the lungs get the time necessary to clear themselves, it slowly vanishes. It never gave me any signs of disappearing before, now I almost forgot about it. After 3 years, finally.
    Congrats for the first 5 days, keep your clean streak, take it one day at a time and you'll see this phlegm and all the other ”benefits” of smoking will be history sooner than you think.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hello!
    I’m very grateful to have come across this thread where people are still discussing these issues. I’ve been a very heavy smoker for a long time, idk if I could even put a time frame on it. I’m 28 years old and have been almost a daily smoker for maybe 8+ years, with a few monthly breaks here and there. However, I really started smoking heavier when I moved to Colorado. This phlegm with brown specks didn’t really start until around this time. I never had this issue any other time that I can remember. And the thing is I’m not actually coughing this stuff up, it’s an intentional clearing of my throat to get it up. Not once have I felt the urge to cough because of it, it’s always intentional clearing of my throat to get it out. Did you experience this or was it involuntary coughing for you? And did you experience it throughout the day? Because it’s all day thing for me. I’m constantly feeling like I need to clear my lungs because of it. Like I can feel it in there.. Its been very concerning for me and I recently stopped smoking weed all together. It’s been about a week now and I’m still experiencing the phlegm with brownish/grey specks. Given this whole COVID pandemic it has made me even more nervous. I’m curious if you did anything that helped you clear it up quicker? Any over-the-counter medicine or herbal products you used?? Also, it’s reassuring to hear it has cleared up for you but sucks it’s taken that long. Has it really been 3 years of coughing that stuff up?
    Anyways, I hope everyone here is doing fine and thanks for a response if you read this!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I’ve Also just recently had this happen to me. I don’t really smoke much marijuana anymore and have quite cigarettes in September. I do vape right now but I was seen by my doctor who gave me some antibiotics for this same issue. I’m on my last day of taking them. 10 days now and still this hasn’t really helped. I get the clear phlegm with brown specks in it. It’s never completely brown. So I have no idea what it is. But will be going back to the doctors next week to hopefully get a better idea of what it is. If it’s the lungs clearing themselves then it’s whatever and I’ll deal with it but I have pretty bad anxiety and google is the worst when it comes to stuff like this so I’m hoping through the doc I can rule out the serious stuff. Hopefully all here have figured out what their issues were.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hey fellas, just thought I’d share my current situation. I barely get any brown specks these days. I made a couple of changes to my habits. Before I proceed, please note I’m not a medical professional so what’s posted here is my inexpert opinion. I used to have a cup of black coffee on empty stomach, first thing in the morning before I head to the shower. Most of the time, the brown specks appear after shower. Nowadays, I drink some water…a glass or two, first thing in the morning. Take a shower and have my breakfast. Only then so I have coffee. I also take a couple of tbsps of yogurt as I feel it somehow helps with my throat/gut. My thinking is that the brown specks have something to do with dehydration as I used to smoke pot, drink alcohol, coffee and cigarettes quite heavily. All these substances are known to dehydrate (not sure about the tobacco though). I’ve also quit pot for about 6 months but I did get the brown spots even after that. I only started seeing improvements after quitting coffee on empty stomach and increasing my intake of water. Again, I need to stress that I am not a medical professional but these steps definitely helped me and I hope it would help you too. The antibiotics (cephalaxin) did not work on me and my GP could not determine the cause of the problem. Stay safe people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hey man, yeah I got the exact same symptoms. I've been having chest problems for a couple of months now, smoke cigs and tobacco in bong hits, and about 2-3gs a day - smoked about the same length of time as you 8/9 years, daily for 7. Constant need to clear my throat all day, when I clear it (which sometimes can be so satisfying) it just settles instantly and i want to clear it again. I wake up sometimes and have to clear my throat in the night its really annoying.

I don't drink much water, drink a lot of coffee etc and in fairly decent shape. If it helps i was sent for an xray by my doctor which came back clear. I've ordered a vaporizer which comes tomorrow so will give it a go for a few weeks and let you know if it helps.

BUT you're certainly not alone, it's quite weird how so many people are coming many years after this post was created to share their experiences. Tobacco seems to be the main thing in common but idk.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dumbest thread award here!. People are actually replying to this crap?. If you have some kind of medical problem or you think you do, got to doctor, not the internet!.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. Can you read ? Many people including myself have already been to the doctor , I've had an xray that was completely clear but still got the same issues. Nothing wrong with sharing experiences

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I have the same issues with Brown phlegm. I think its related to tobacco in joints and lungs clearing themselves. It comes involuntary after smoking usually. Not a big problem for me but a clear message from the body that should not be ignored

11. Hey man, I really appreciate the response! I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing something like this, although I hate to hear that others are too. As for me, I don’t smoke cigs at all… only did for a year in high school about 10 years ago. So it’s really only been weed and dabs which makes me wonder if that’s the root cause or not, but I know people who have smoked for so much longer and don’t necessarily deal with this exact problem. Though they definitely have lung problems.

The reassuring thing for me is that I ONLY have this phlegm coming up, however sometimes (very rarely) I have some blood come up… which is very concerning to me. But again, I have zero symptoms in terms of fevers/chills/headaches. All I have is this phlegm with brown specks coming up, which I’m sure is causing the blood because I’m constantly clearing my throat.

I’m definitely relieved to hear your X-ray came back clear. I’ll also add that I have stopped smoking since my original post, it’s been just over 4 months since I quit and I’m still having the phlegm come up.. I personally haven’t seen a doctor yet and hope not to unless it gets worse. I’ll keep you updated with my condition as time goes on, but since I’ve quit smoking I have noticed it get better. Definitely unusual how many people have found this post all these years later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Hey bro out of curiosity did you ever get to the bottom of what was causing this was it confirms to be from smoking and cute lungs cleaning themselves out ?

13. I still have no idea if the original poster has or not. I wish I could get to the bottom of it. I’m still having this stuff come up even after quitting cold turkey for nearly 5 months.. but as others have said on this thread, with the same exact stuff coming up. Their doctors haven’t confirmed anything, and X-rays have been coming back clear. That doesn’t mean it’s nothing and I’m sure some doctor will figure it out. I myself have not gone to the doctor and hope not too. I’ve never experienced anything concerning enough to go to see a doctor, mainly because I don’t have insurance.
    Are you still coughing up this phlegm?

15. Yea I am i had a dr appointment over the phone and explained it to him and he said he doesn’t think it’s anything concerning but if it doesn’t go away after a couple week then go see them or if any other symptoms occurs but I have none other then this weird phlegm and sometimes feel something in the back of my throat

16. He also said that it’s not unnatural for your lungs to clean them selves especially if you been exposed to poor air conditions and with all the fires this summer and working out doors I definitely was exposed so I have a feel it it has something to do with that but I’m not 100% I’ve also had x rays and they look fine

17. I have the same issue with same looking phlegm. I've been smoking for 6 years daily and for 8 years overall but only weed, I have never added tobbaco into my joints or bowls. I had appointment with my dr already and I had a lot of tests as Chest X-ray and blood tests, results were completly fine so I still don't know if it is bad or not. Btw I quit smoking after first time I saw this brown shit coughing up (like 1.5 month ago) and it's still not getting better.

18. Been a daily marijuana smoker for 10+ years, rarely ever smoke cigarettes, have coughed this same mucus in photo with black/grey spots pretty much daily for at least a couple years. No other symptoms besides a somewhat constant cough. I feel like I’ve had a post nasal drip for many years and kind of just attributed it to the drip, weed, and working in dirty environments in HVAC work. Strange finding this with so many other people posting the same stuff. Also strange, I recently had Covid with only minor symptoms but the spots in mucus disappeared for several days while I was sick and had chest congestion, while taking Mucinex. I’ve been to doctors and they do regular chest checks etc, I tell them I smoke weed and they say it’s obviously not healthy to smoke anything, but I’ve never really been inconvenienced or felt pain or coughed up blood so kind of just ignored it to be honest.

• Like Like x 1