Clean Concentrates!

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by dabbs, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Rubbing alcohol is poison. You can't get everything out no matter what you do.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. #22 EugeneOregon, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Rubbing alcohol can poison a person although according to the national institute of health the last known poisonings or injuries by rubbing alcohol in the last 50'years have been bizarre suicide attempts or severe mental illness. If there are traces of rubbing alcohol in the vapor that I breath by following the old patents instructions regarding rubbing alcohol to clean citrus oil, then they are below the threshhold of my senses to detect. In the case of rubbing alcohol, this means that if there are the odd molecules floating around in it then it is hundreds of time below the allowable exposure limits as defined in the MSDS.

There are safety warnings on virtually everything that I use, even a Bic lighter. I follow these warnings. If you do not believe me, simply drop a gram or so of quality extract into a 20mL test tube and fill the tube with rubbing alcohol. Put it in front of a fan or just blow on it after it is disolved. You will see it form two layers. Let it evaporate down until the white layer (water) is milky. Dump the water. Put the extract in a small oven safe dish and cook at 200 F or so until the mix stops decarboxylating (bubbling) which takes about 30 minutes minimum at 200 F. Pull it out and let it sit to cool off.

I use taste and smell and can detect no presence of rubbing alcohol thusly prepared. Rubbing alcohol is only poisonous in concentrations well above human detection thresholds which is why it is listed likely as the number one solvent used by the pharmacutical industry, food industry, and hospitals and health care with a perfect track record against accidental poisoning in these places.

I conclude therefor that the process is safe. I appreciate the warning which is also listed on the side of the container. I concur that all warning labels should be strictly observed. I have now as a hobby cleaned up two batches of extract "disaster" for a friend who produces extract. This is a good anecdotal check that the process works safely. This method is really old stuff frankly. Be safe.

Semper Fi

• Like Like x 1
  3. I only vape the resulting oil and do not smoke the product. I have tried to light it in my quartz cigarette but the oil will not burn on its own. I have not dabbed using the oil as the potency is extraordinary just vaping and dabbing involves a torch which is cumbersome for me (I have the burn marks to prove it lolz!) The difference between treated and untreated extract is night and day to me. I no longer enjoy vaping unwashed extract as it is just too harsh. Be well my brother.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sounds like you are talking about dewaxing. Use Ever clear or food grade alcohol not ISO

5. Not needed nor is it specified in the old patent on cleaning up citus oil. The process forms complex azeotropic kidtures with the pinene and a bit of the limonene, and the water which forms an azeotrope with the isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) separates with a good quantity of the undesirable pinene. The process does indeed remove waxes as well. The patent does indeed specify any solvent capable of forming an azeotrope with both water and pinene can be successfully applied.

There is simply no health risk to be avoided by using rubbing alcohol to wash extract, however if personal predjudice against a particular azeotropic mix makes you nervouse, then there are others.. I have seen many posts like yours. What data do you have to suggest that Everclear is any less toxic in this application? In my state of Oregon it is illegal for a person under 21 to either posess or use Everclear. It is not illegal for a medical marihuanna patient under 21 to posess or use rubbing alcohol. In my state, obtaining Everclear requires I go to a state run liqour store and pay hefty prices for Everclear. I can get rubbing alcohol off the shelf at the corner mart for a few buck.

I have never seen any data whatsoever that supports the notion that rubbing alcohol is leaves any toxic reaidue. I have never seen any data that supports the notion that using iso to wash extract, or to extract plant resins to begin with, is toxic. I have seen larger batches of RSO being made with iso, and the product went to hundreds of patients over years. Again, no evidence that these oral doses of RSO causing illness in patients. Are you in posession of data from a verifiable source that indicates a known health hazard in using isopropyl alcohol in the preparation of phatmefuticals or any other product made with it? Please post data.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Don't get ur panties in a bunch, I never claimed anything about wut ur talking about. I just gave my opinion on the matter and nothing was implied.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Your opinion was inaccurate information. Unlike isopropyl alcohol, Everclear can be fractioned from water by distillation. Rubbjng alcohol cannot be separated from water by distillation because it forms an azeotrope between the iso and the water. Distill rubbing alcohol and you will get rubbing alcohol. However, when added to extracts (and apparently citus oil) the azeotrope is broken and the water and other undesirable components separate with it.

Everclear does not form the same azeotropic relationship with water as isopropyl alcohol does. Everclear therfor cannot form the same relationship with the elements in the extract that the isopropyl/water azeotrope does. I do not believe that winterization at cold temperature is harmful using Everclear, but I am certain it is incomplete. This really is not a matter of opinion or anecdotal observation more than a fact of chemistry. In the context of my comment, Everclear will not work like iso.

It is inappropriate to make sexist remarks when being corrected. Try some cleaned up extract and you wont feel like insulting anyone lolz! You will know peace and love hehe

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Im not an extract artist and my chemistry skills are lacking, that's why I rely on extract artist to provide me with clean meds. From all the ones I have talked with they all agree that you shouldn't be putting the product in water. They also say things like "ISO is ok if its 99%, don't use the 91% or less because that 9% is stuff you don't want in your oil". That makes plenty of sense to me. I don't care about your ability to recite chemistry, are you an extract artist? Have you had your stuff lab tested? Post some pics of this stuff you make and let the community be the judge.

• Like Like x 1
  9. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Lolz! Extract artist is it now? hehe. The human mind is indeed fascinating.

Simple question; Where is your data?

Here are some shots of the last two runs. This is the data you correctly asked for. Notice the nail I use as a plug for the syringe applicator? Very clean stuff. If you cook it over slow heat before adding the rubbing alcohol it will get delightfully fruity and have a red hue as in the one photo. The nearly clear photo was without heat evaporation and not yet fully decarbed as I prefer before vaping, but it too was a runny liquid at room temp. As always, both deliver a dense vape cloud that cannot normally be detected until exhaling and have a delightful YUMMY taste that makes you want more instantly! Both samples shown upon initial vape left me wonderig if they are potent enough. Then like usual after about six minutes the high kicks in like nothing else out there available in dispensaries. Zoooooommmm,m! I believe both shots and all the other countless grams I have done like this are very nearly pure thc/cbd/cbn and very little else. I worked as a pit crew member of an alcohol burning car. I know full well what alcohol fume is lolz. There is no fume detectable. This is anecdotal evidence.

They are both nearly odor free with a hint of limonene smell, although the clear did smell a bit "mediciney" from the terps. I remove the medicey smell by cooking it on low for several minutes, but do not always do this. I vape on average about a gram per day or so weighed before it is cleaned up. Cleanup removes about 25% by weight of what I purchase. I do not lab test as I am a home hobbyist and have not risen in status to artist yet. I suggest you talk one of the artists into attempting to duplicate the idea as outlined in my thread on cleaning up dispensary extracts. It spells all this out plainly. If you are squemish about testing the product yourself, talk a sibling you do not like into trying it first. If they die it is unlikely that mom and dad will seek the death penalty...My own brother only lost his left nut and one kidney before we got it right. :) In truth the real danger is that once you try this type of oil it will ruin dabbing or vaping anything else for you. I cannot vape incleaned extract now with any kind of enjoyment. It is simply too harsh in comparison.

I suggest to you that if you are afraid to engage in this practice, then don't. If you do then you will be in a position to offer useful data. As for me, I figure my brother has one left of each important thing, so its all good. Vape on my internet brother!
    image.jpeg

10. #32 EugeneOregon, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Here is a vid link to a disaster extraction that was cleaned up with the process for an extractor friend of mine. Aparently a kid of his had tried to do extraction and botched it. I cleaned it up to nearly pure but ot was a 42% reduction in weight. The waxes shown in the cenyrifuge tubes account for most of the weight. Notice the white muck in the beaker. That is the "stuff" you really do not want in the lungs, and it is mostly.

Also, I have used in the video rubbing alcohol as noted. It is a known medical fact that rubbing alcohol is lethal if swallowed in doses of as little as eight ounces., and is typically a suicide attempt.

In all my examples, I am working in a fraction of that weight range by working in grams. I cannot fathom how even a sloppy purge of less than one ounce of extract with just residual iso could introduce enough isopropyl alcohol into my system to even get close to what the body can easily eliminate without harm. I would have been sick by now if not true, and the medline data about eight ounces being the lethal dose is wrong. I believe it is accurate.

11. #33 EugeneOregon, Jun 1, 2016
    As far as using water to purge extract, I have done it though it is not as clean as the iso process. The video shows fresh dispensary extract in a test tube upside down in water. It is best viewed manually sliding the time index and zoomin in on the water line in the test tube.

Time lapse shows decarbing and hot water vapor as it pushes the extract down until it is expelled into the water where it forms delicious red/amber round little balls of extract (in this case) and leaves behind in the test tube walls a clingy waxy residue that can be vaped but is very harsh. I used it on flower to make a kind of hashish. Super loopy high and a great classic hack cough choke, but not smooth like the separated amber/red layer that will not cling to the test tube walls.

The little round globs of extract were heavier than water and separated easily. The time lapse does not show the extract globs cycling up and down in the test tube very well but in the last few seconds of the time lapse if you pause the vid you can see the clean extract layer that forms at the waterline and the little globes of dark extract floating below.

This method is a easy to do and you can be certain that anything nasty trapped in the extract is removed. I do not dab so am not concerned with any residual water in the extract but like in iso washing I cannot detect water in the little resin balls recovered from the water. Lastly, the water upon close visual inspection was slightly murky. Something had disolved into the water in this example.

I offer this data as an alternative to cleaning up extract and to dispell the notion there is only one proper way to clean up extract. No Fear. No Shame. Semper Fi.

12. #34 EugeneOregon, Jun 1, 2016
    Before I had a vacuum chamber I used to do the process with flame. This is dangerous and I no longer do this although it can prepare an extract very quickly this way. I offer this example as data to demonstrate the general idea visually of how rubbing alcohol separates in extract, but I was very stoned too lolz and made a mini production. I do not either endorse flame removal of solvent in the process or warn against it as I have personally treated several ounces this way. It burns away waxes instead of removing them, but does show the white milky part evolve out of yhe flame. I was stoned and its long but this process comes pretty close to the centrifuge.

The video leaves out an important final purge that I did by using a lighter to burn the oil until it stops crackiling and popping(waxes/water). The metal pick in the video is used to pull the extract up into the flame where it makes these sputtering noises as it drips off the pick through the flame. It is flame kissed just like a Whopper, and for substantially the same reasons (removing stuff you do not want) then eventually it just gets hot and drops off the pick without noises- no sounds through the flame means it is ready. Absolutely nothing I have ever tried compares to the potency of this method, however it is only useful for a small quantity.

I realize that the the video looks like it is rubbing alcohol soaked, but my nose and taste do not detect any even before the final purge. Stirring the mix while the iso burned off removed it to below detection limits which by itself poses no known health risk even if there are some iso molecules floating atound in there. That oil in the video is just above my skin temp so is warm. Out of the refigerator it is thick like molasses. I believe flaming the iso off removes all of it or at least below what even a lab could detect. Perhaps the heating of the cermic dish help too with that.

Admittedly, I was a bit dramatic, but this stuff does that!

13. I just had to sneak the photo of me on my Harley in near the end! Shameless? My pups too.

14. All I have heard form you is a couple different ways to dewax\clean up the nasty stuff you get from a dispensary. You said you don't dab so clearly you miss the point of not using water. You can purge for 96+ hours but if your starting material is crap its not going to come out good.How does your stuff look when your not doing the light trick? I have seen shit look clear with a light behind it. Notice none of my pics have lights behind them? I put words behind them to demonstrate the clarity of them. Extract artist is the term used with in the industry. What state are you in? Im not doubting or disagreeing with your methods, just that they are just different methods for dewaxing\cleaning up dirty bho\rso\iso what have you. And if your stuff isn't lab tested then technically these are just your opinions based on your own observations.

15. The placement of the lights in these photos is irrelevant. This is a red herring.

Your dispensary extracts are full of waxes and pinene from my point of view. I can see it. I have studied so many ounces of extract I use that I have lost count. I am good at seeing how hard extracts will separate when taken apart.
    There is nothing wrong with this, but the extraction obviously produces only a nominal 80% generally of cannibinoids. As you know the 20% "other" is generally unwanted.

The extracts I have in the photo are clear, run liquid at room temp, and do not have the respiratory irritants of the starting extraction.

I do indeed understand why water and dabbing do not mix well. Dabbing introduces an extremely hot element that superheats the steam created when water is introduced but trapped like in extract when it hits a nail that is heated to a generally unknown temperature. Suffice it to say it is orders of magnitude hotter than a vaporizer. This causes a superheated steam explosion albeit a small one, but dangerous nonetheless. Doesnt it strike you that a process that turns plain water into a hazard should be reexamined when other means to accomplish your goal is available?

Superheated steam as well as superheated terps and whatever else is making the extract in your photos hard an brittle at room temp are generated by the super hot nail and his points out another safety hazard of dabbing which makes it dangerous to use extract that is wet with the solvent we all need; water. It is a prime reason among the three that I ceased dabbing. I simply use too much to constantly expose myself to that hot ass nail and torch and rig, but moreover the whole process of dabbing is unnecessary if the exttact is purified enough that it does not gum up the vape being used. When I vape leaned stuff the vape is complete. Virtually no left over residue or cleanup when using the stuff.

You extract is laying on top of paper in the photo. If you clean it up properly and put it on that paper it will stick and run and you will never get it off there. The artists that extracted your extract did nothing wrong, but a second post extraction washing of some sort will purify it to the point you cannot have it out of a container without it sticking to everything it touches and running everywhere like honey.

It is a pity you did not live closer as I would welcome you into my den where we could vape each others shit and solve the problems of the world together. I developed most of the technique after laying down my harley a year and a half ago. My right side was ganked badly. Punctured lung, broken everything,and especially a shattered tibia plateau ( below the knee the bones shattered). I was stuck in a wheelchair for months and needed help with every toilet function and bio function possible. A lot of time in the wheelchair led to a lot of screwing around with this stuff. I am out of the wheelchair and walk again. Even before the wreck I was on life ending doses of morphine, but am opiate free now and use this medication instead. The newspaper even did a story about this among other tthings and pointed out the great progress I had made to recover as well as my use of tthese medicines to help.

The sheer boredom of wheelchair living drove me crazy but I am glad for the life time out because I never would have pursued this as a hobby. As a side note, today is payday for this retiree. When I purchased my month supply of extract, the extractor was present and knows what I have been doing with his stuff. He offered me a job working at home making the pure! What an ego boost! Truth is I am retired because I cannot possibly work a full job anymore, but my last real job was as an R&D engineer. I miss this stuff. I am set for life financially so I do not need or want a job, but isnt it odd how a catastrophy can place opprtunity in your path? I have enjoyed the riparte with you as you seem a nice fellow.

Be well. Be safe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. This is hilarious, terps are bad. Burnt black oil with water added is good.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. All the terps are available from what I can see in Amazon.com and are a available in food grade. If gou believe that inhaling terps are good for you then you are a lucky brother my friend, because you have an unlimited supply of them cheap! Pinene in particular is very easy to obtain. My mother used it on her paint brushes to clean them (terpentine).

I only recomend using burnt black oil and product in gear like a bong or pipe. All product put through those is burnt with the intention of inhaling. The burning of the product is indeed the tradition, but I am suggestion that urban legend that makes it popular to follow the crowd and ignore the obvious. You do realize that efforts to produce clear Intentionally remove all terps and reintroduce the into the product much like a 31 flavor ice cream shop.

The difference between people like yourself my brother and myself is that I am not afraid to try new things and I am not afraid to dispense with "common sense" like you aptly display in favor of taking a risk for a better way of life. I am a Marine and I have known the great triumphs and also the great losses because there cannot be great success without the possibility of complete failure. As for me, I am loathe to become another timid soul who knows neither victory, or defeat.

If you seek a safe comfortable life, then it is advisable for you to remain skeptical of anything I say because I often say things that make the timid nervous. I am a man so I understand fear, but my choice is not to be governed by it. I feel for me this is the essence of a good life. Once I dispensed with irrational fear, life became worth living. Every single moment.

Be well my brother.

• Like Like x 1