Clean Concentrates!

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by dabbs, Apr 4, 2013.

1. CLEAN CONCENTRATES:

Although generally advertised to be completely safe, BHO's (common term for how most concentrates are made) can be detrimental to health. Concentrates that use a solvent, commonly butane, can cause permanent lung damage. When heated, the excess moisture (butane) mixes with the plant wax, creating a thicker, more dangerous product, that is more similar to bees' wax.* This unanticipated product coats the lungs like glue = not healthy.

*More in depth explanation for you science loving dabbers out there:
    Water + Trichome waxes in a solvent form hydrates that are opaque and which crystalize into the characteristic textures (wax, budder, honeycomb etc). When this hydrated waxes are dabbed, it causes hydrolysis of the parafinoid and toxic compounds to be produced, as well as depositing a substance highly resistant to natural lung surfactants (the bees' wax).

Look for Ice Wax and quality shatter (like shatter bros)

For Examples of clean concentrates see the attached images.

Shatterbros Sour Diesel Shatter (L)

Chem Dawg 120 Micron Ice Wax (R)

Attached Files:

2. Lol how is shatter superior to any other sort of BHO health-wise.....

Many different things affect consistency.

3. In shatter/sap, those waxes, lipids, fats etc. are in an amorphous state, like they occur in the trichome. Look at a trich under a microscope, its not some weird honeycomb-like matrix, its a translucent resin. I personally feel those crystallized waxes are in a form un-useable by your lungs. Its different for everyone though.

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c]Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - YouTube[/ame]

5. Hence, why I said it affects everyone different.... man.

• Like Like x 1
  6. That was directed at dabbs :)

7. Solvent-less is the only way to go for best flavor and safety. Ice-hash/ dry ice hash/ bubble hash; bho is shitty, even with vac purges and all that B.S

Sure, I've gotten some very tasty bho; but flavor does not indicate that it is SAFE or unsafe. This just means the person purging it on a skillet and vac purge had it on a heat setting of under or around 130*F preserving the flavor terps.

Honestly; I think the act of dabbing ITSELF is unhealthy.... heating up a stupid nail to close to 1000*F like some idiots do and then dropping wonderful thc onto it and killing the flavor and most of the hash/wax because of the high temps.

Most dumbasses don't even know how to truly dab; and I laugh my ass off at the people paying hundreds on these E-nails. Get a fucking vape ffs.

8. Yeah? well thats like..... uuuhh.... :bongin:

9. You're hilarious. Dabbing properly made oil is not unhealthy. Oil is very powerful and your lungs can more readily absorb its medicinal benefits compared to smoking some flowers. Vaping is nice too, I love vaping some dank flowers but to say that dabbing is unhealthy is just plain ignorant.

10. Reasons why dabbing might be hazardous to your health:

Why Might People Faint After Dabbing? | O'Shaughnessy's

I personally feel they are unsafe and don't see why people want to use a chemical solvent on a natural plant. I'd much rather use water and ice without the risk of blowing up my house... but to each their own and all that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lol...fainting...i guess thats a hazard to your health. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. So you think a sudden loss of blood pressure is healthy?

In all my years of smoking I never had lung issues until I started dabbing for a few months, then it when away when I stopped dabbing. It could be quality but I did go out of my way to get tested Co2 extract vs random BHO.

Besides the process being dangerous, the process is also illegal under CA medical laws.

There is enough evidence in my mind to think BHO is dangerous and I will stay away from it, others have different thoughts.... as I said to each their own.

13. oh and the environmental damage lol

Just after posting this I walk up to the store to fill up my water jugs and on my way there on the sidewalk is a grocery store bag with about 20-25 empty vector butane cans someone didn't feel safe throwing away in their own garbage can.

I found it a little funny after talking about BHO then finding a bag of butane just a few minutes later. Dabs are talking over lol

14. There's dry gold honeycomb flake co2 wax at my club. It cost $20 more per gram but its worth not getting sick from the beeswax material.
    I had bronchitis when I started dabbing and I certainly feel that beeswax in my lungs vs smoking full melt like I use to.

15. I'm hilarious? No, you're ignorant. BHO made with even high quality Vector contains mercaptans which are not removed during any purging process AND burn at the same temperature that THC does; and when burned creates a neurotoxin. Do your homework.

16. Oh and if I'm not being clear; mercaptans are oils... removing oil from oil is fucking impossible unless your sitting in a lab and using a ton of other chemicals to separate them.

17. #17 trixman22, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
    Im sorry what are your credentials to make such claims? I will take the word of Dr from CO over some random on the interwebs any day of the week.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yerQMQt9Z64]To DAB or NOT TO DAB! THE "DANGERS" OF DABBING! ALL DABBERS MUST WATCH - YouTube[/ame]

According to the Dr, you are wrong.

To dude about the blood pressure. Your blood pressure can drop when you stand up. Some people faint after standing up from low blood pressure, so from your conclusion standing up is dangerous. On the real though I have never seen anyone faint off a dab. Not saying it doesn't happen but I think its probably in people that have some sort of blood pressure problems to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  18. #18 AfganiKush, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013

Source? Mercaptans are organic compounds containing sulfur. From what i have read they have a lower boiling point than water or alcohol, so i dont see how their removal is impossible?

"While hazardous in high concentrations, in the concentrations in which it is generally present in propane and butane, ethyl mercaptan is not likely to pose any significant additional risks as compared to those substances on their own. Its odor is detectable at a concentration of 0.26-0.97 parts per billion, and it becomes hazardous at more than 1,000 times that concentration, meaning that the amount needed to impart that odor to another substance is very small."

If ethyl mercaptan is the only mercaptan in canned tane: it boils at 34.7 C, which is 94 degrees F. I dont know anyone purging under a 110 F...

19. I use substantial amounts of extracts from Oregon dispensaries. I clean my extract of waxes easily by following a procedure outlined in a patent on cleaning up raw citrus oil. It turns dispensary shatter and wax into premium oil which is fluid at room temp but very sticky and amber clear to red brown clear.

I do it in a nutshell like the patent from 50 years ago on cleaning waxes and pinene out of citrus oil. Pinene gives off a smell like burnt transmission fluid when heated to boiling and it grosses me out so
    i remove most.

I use about three parts rubbing alcohol (like the patent) to one part raw extract. I shake vigorously to fully dissolve the extract. More rubbing alcohol is ok but it will be discarded as waste. Then I evaporate the mix in fromt of a fan. Like magic before the eyes the mix will separate into two layers, one dark and one white. The milky white portion is discarded. The dark amber layer is further purged of the remaining rubbing alcohol. I use a heat pad to evaporate the alcohol completely off. Just a few minutes and let it sit. I bought a vacuum bucket to speed things up but for a long time I just used a bic to flame off any residual iso.

I have also refined the process to include a $65 centrifuge like in the patent and WOW does it pull out the waxes after a short chill in rubbing alcohol. It is incredible. Apparently an azeotropic action takes place between the rubbing alcohol and the pinene and a bit with the limonene. It is incredible to watch the stuff form into a milky icky layer and a pure clear amber layer. If there is any negative side effects I cannot imagine what? Rubbing alcohol is poison but
    i have detcted no trace of it evaporating completely. Technically iso can be used as an anesthetic (though the practice is never done) so a few molecules in my extract does not bother plus once I saw what the process pulls out of my extract I will gladly take the time to do this. About an hour start to finsh if rushed.

Semper Fi

• Like Like x 1
  20. #20 EugeneOregon, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    I believe for me dabbing is unhealthy. I have cleaned up at least a pound of dispensary tested extracts for personal use. Extracts that are nominally tested at 80% are cleaned to nearly pure with a rubbing alcohol formula that I use. The 20% is mostly wax which is ok to use on kief or leaf when I make smokable stuff, but causes severe respiratory distress when I vape it. However, it is not the wax that concerns me. It is the pinene. I am a hobbyist at cleaning extract and I have boiled it. Exposed to atmosphere at boiling the pinene turns into something that once smelled has caused revulsion in me at the memory. My concern with dabbing for myself began within one day of trying it. I kept using the dabbing rig for a month then cleaned it up and it now sits on my shelf.

I am concerned that modern extraction techniques are so very efficient at pulling out and concentrating things like pinene that historically would not have been concentrated to the levels that they now are. Once I began cleaning extracts at home before use, I had enough visual evidence to know there are things in the lab tested extracts that cannot be seen until removed and are aweful icky to look at or burn on their own. The huge visual factor is there is now no clean up whatsoever in my vape. It vapes completely away.

Dabbing the purified might work womders for me now, but the vape from cleaned extract is nearly undetectable when even a dense fog is exhaled and irregardless of strain tastes sweet. The intensity is astronomical and much more intense and long lasting for me than dabbing though the onset is delayed several minutes. It would put most users to sleep lolz.