Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Coronavirus COVID-19 CBD vs Covid article

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Storm Crow, Mar 10, 2021.

1. This is a few months old but gives you another reason to take CBD!

Study links CBD to peptide that helps protect lungs from COVID-19
    Study links CBD to peptide that helps protect lungs from COVID-19

A newly published study links CBD, a non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in cannabis, with a significant increase in a peptide that may help protect the lungs of COVID-19 patients from damage. The findings come from the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University, where researchers found that CBD may help reduce the deadly cytokine storm that has claims many COVID-19 patients’ lives.

Respiratory disease COVID-19 may, in severe cases, cause an issue often referred to as ‘cytokine storm,’ which is a severe immune reaction that damages the body’s own tissues and cells rather than just the virus. For COVID-19 patients, a cytokine storm can result in permanent lung damage and often leads to death.

According to the new study, CBD may help protect against this damage by boosting apelin, a peptide that reduces inflammation and, most notably, has been found to drop significantly before a cytokine storm. Earlier this summer, the researchers used an adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) model to link CBD with reduced inflammation, increased oxygen, and lesser lung damage.

This new study has potentially found why CBD has been correlated with these outcomes, noting that apelin levels drop before a cytokine storm and that CBD increases apelin levels. The researchers note that in the ARDS lab model, apelin peptide levels reached near to zero, but skyrocketed 20 times with CBD.

Many questions remain, including whether the SARS-CoV-2 virus impacts apelin directly or if the drop in peptide levels is a more ‘downstream’ outcome. Likewise, it’s unclear what other changes may be triggered by CBD to promote better lung function in ARDS patients. Future research will explore the links between CBD, SARS-CoV-2, and apelin specifically, among other things.

And if that wasn't enough, we have this-

"Like Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), the most well-studied cannabinoid, CBD decreased lung inflammation in a murine model of acute lung injury potentially through the inhibition of proinflammatory cytokine production by immune cells and suppressing exuberant immune responses. CBD can inhibit the production of proinflammatory cytokines like interleukin (IL)-2, IL-6, IL-1α and β, interferon gamma, inducible protein-10, monocyte chemoattractant protein-1, macrophage inflammatory protein-1α, and tumor necrosis factor-α that have been associated with SARS-CoV2 induced multi-organ pathology and mortality."

SARS-CoV2 induced respiratory distress: Can cannabinoids be added to anti-viral therapies to reduce lung inflammation? SARS-CoV2 induced respiratory distress: Can cannabinoids be added to anti-viral therapies to reduce lung inflammation? - ScienceDirect

It might just be a good idea for all of you to start taking a little CBD every day. I added CBD to my morning routine a couple months ago when the info about CBD fighting Covid started coming out.

Granny

• Like Like x 2
  2. Interesting, thanks for the read

• Like Like x 1
  3. I assume you have read through alot of studies. In illegal places many people dont access cbd. Many smoke hash mixed with tobacco. Wonder how this translate to people like that.

4. You assume right. I read more medical studies than most doctors and have a huge collection of links to studies and articles (run an online search for "Granny Storm Crow's List"). CBD is rapidly being legalized because of its remarkable effects on epilepsy and other conditions.

Smoking cannabis mixed with tobacco is unwise. Tobacco is carcinogenic and highly physically addictive- just the opposite of cannabis (cannabis fights cancer and is psychologically addictive). Try using cannabis fan leaves, skullcap, mint, sage, coltsfoot, bearberry, or mullen instead of tobacco to cut your cannabis. Why would anyone want to ruin good cannabis with cancer-causing tobacco when there are alternatives? :confused_2: More smokable herbs are listed here- Healing Herbs You Can Smoke (Other Than Cannabis)

As for the effect tobacco has on the beneficial effects of CBD- nobody knows! The studies have not been done yet. When they are, I'll post them up. But I will say that tobacco gave my late husband lung cancer (they removed the bottom half of his left lung) and the heart trouble that killed him.

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes I know of the list :) thanks for the honest reply. Tobacco is in fact carcinogenic and make clothes etc smell bad. I used it because there was only hash going around here for most time.. and of the options I have tried to tobacco, none of them were good. I dont wanna kill my lungs so tobacco for the rest of my life is not a good idea

Recently got a volcano and wanna put tobacco behind:) its some tobacco receptors in my brain craving tobacco.

If one has access to good buds a good vaporizer is king.

Sorry to hear about your husband.

• Like Like x 1
  6. @Goblin_smasher FYI- Smoking mullen was an old treatment for asthma and is supposed to be mild in flavor! I had a friend who used mullen for her asthma.

And try some CBD cannabis or even hemp buds (which are available online) in that Volcano, :volcano: it may help you get rid of those tobacco cravings. These guys were using an oral inhaler, but I think CBD vapor should do the same thing.

Cannabidiol reduces cigarette consumption in tobacco smokers: Preliminary findings Cannabidiol reduces cigarette consumption in tobacco smokers: preliminary findings - PubMed

“24 smokers were randomised to receive an inhaler of CBD (n=12) or placebo (n=12) for one week, they were instructed to use the inhaler when they felt the urge to smoke. Over the treatment week, placebo treated smokers showed no differences in number of cigarettes smoked. In contrast, those treated with CBD significantly reduced the number of cigarettes smoked by ~40% during treatment. Results also indicated some maintenance of this effect at follow-up. These preliminary data, combined with the strong preclinical rationale for use of this compound, suggest CBD to be a potential treatment for nicotine addiction that warrants further exploration.“

I can't help but wonder what the results would have been like if they hadn't ended the study at just 7 days, and went on 1 or 2 more weeks?

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 Goblin_smasher, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Thanks a lot for your input! I really want to put tobacco behind. There is too much cancer already in the world. I am having a hard time putting it away but in the long run it is definitely for the best.

Unfortunately in my scandinavian country things are going very slow. We are still on the "what AbOuT the children "

If you get caught with thc in your body in this country you will lose your license to drive, you might also get cps(child protective services) and a hefty fine. Maybe lose your Job too.

But if you assault people, your case will be dismissed, even if they have ccr tapes and witnesses.

Sorry about the rant. Just really frustrating that my homeland denying me and other adults our options to take decisions for ourselfes.

Will look into cbd !

• Like Like x 1