Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Canna Caps

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by MickFoster, Mar 25, 2021.

1. I stopped smoking weed several years ago because I wanted to save my lungs.
    I wanted to ingest it but I hate the taste of any food that is infused with THC......it literally makes me gag.
    So I decided to make canna caps so I could take it like a pill and not have the nasty taste.

People have different ways of making their infused oil........this is mine.

1. One ounce of bud.
    2. 3/4 cup of coconut oil........refined or unrefined is good.........makes no difference.
    3. "00" Empty Oil Capsules.

I start by grinding up my weed in a coffee grinder........I don't grind to a powder.......just small bits like I was rolling a joint.
    Next I spread the weed out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
    I pre-heat my oven to 240F and decarb in the oven for 40 minutes.
    As my weed is decarbing.......I place an oven safe bowl with the coconut oil in the oven to melt the oil.......it stays solidified at room temperature.
    I then mix the decarbed weed with the warm oil and place it in the oven at 200F for 2 hours......stirring about every 15 minutes or so.
    Next I let it cool down and solidify.
    I then place it in the oven for 2 more hours at 200F.........stirring about every 15 minutes.

I separate the oil from the plant matter with a potato ricer.........it provides great leverage and makes it simple to separate the oil.
    IMG_1640.JPG

I suggest using empty caplets that are made for oil.........the ones for the dry stuff will disintegrate if oil is put in them.
    Oil Capsules 00.jpg

A tray to hold the capsules while filling is a must.
    IMG_1642.JPG

Once you have the caps filled with the oil (using an eyedropper)........place the caps in the freezer just long enough for the oil to partially solidify.
    This makes it less messy when you place the tops on the capsules.
    Just don't let the caps sit in the freezer too long and become frozen.........or you will have difficulty putting the tops on them.

This makes about 120 canna caps.........I take 4 a day and within 2-3 hours, walking straight becomes a challenge.
    These last me a month.........same as when I smoked it.
    I store in the refrigerator........they can be kept there indefinitely.......unlike butter that will go bad.
    IMG_1643.JPG

But that's just me.
    Have a nice day everyone.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. If your cannabis is 17% THC I figure that's about 40 mg capsule, give or take. Four is a hefty dose!

• Like Like x 2
  3. In another thread here the recipe also includes soy lecithin too improve strength.

Good going :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. I used to use lecithin..........I tried not using it a couple of months ago and noticed no difference in potency.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I wouldn't take that much if I had to drive or do something, like think. Lol.
    I know there's a formula to calculate the dose strength, but I don't know how it works........do you?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dang! I just bought soy lecithin myself in a preparation of making this myself for the first time. Well well. Its not too important then I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  7. All I do is figure out how many mg THC and divide by the number of capsules. At 17% THC I get 28,000 X 17% = 4760 mg / 120caps = 39 mg capsule. What I didn't account for is you straining the weed which makes a little bit of difference.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Start my estimating the percentage of THC for example let's say 15% THC in your weed.

For every one gram of weed that's 1,000 mg * 0.15 = 150mg

150 mg * 28 grams = 4200mg

4200mg / #of (cookies, capsules or whatever)

just an example I couldn't remember how many capsules you had

4200 mg / 120 capsules = 35mg per cap

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Some folks swear by using lecithin, in particular @BrassNwood. I'd definitely give it a try.

• Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. aw man i haven't made canna caps in so long. i might have to give this a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FYI- potato ricers are wonderful for getting as much oil as possible out of the plant matter. Everyone who makes canna-oil should have one! For around $15 you can find nice, new, shiny stainless steel ricers on ebay or Amazon. They also can be used to make lump-free mashed potatoes and baby food. :biggrin:

Mine is a really old one, dating back to at least the 1940s. It's so old that it's not even made of stainless steel and can rust if left to air dry after washing. I found it at a rural thrift store about 30 years ago.

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 6
  12. Do you find it makes a big difference in potency?

• Like Like x 1
  13. BadKats recipe calls for 1/6th the Lecithin to oil ratio. I think this is where it fails for many.
    1 tablespoon Oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin.
    My advice is to make 2 side by side small runs and test yourself. I'm a believer and won't make oil without it as it feel it's that necessary.
    Take a tablespoon of your strained oil, Add the lecithin and heat 220 F for 20 minutes.
    While lecithin is most commonly used as an emulsifier it also enhances many substances by making them more bioavailable. Makes less sugar seem just as sweet, less medication just as effective and Lecithin is converted into Acetylcholine a neurotransmitter. :).
    Word is processing in a ultrasonic cleaner while making the oil enhances the process even more but I've not personally tested it.

I've always divided the THC content by the number of Capsules.
    5 grams of Kief @ 50% = 2500mg of THC
    1 tablespoon of the kief oil fills 30 (0) single zero Capsules.
    83.333333333333 mg THC per cap

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. It probably doesn't matter much for you, but for those who are short on herb, grinding the herb to powder, and not straining makes the herb go further.
    With strained oils, there is unremovable medicine in the remaining liquid, and medicine remaining in the solid part of the strained out herb.
    The more concentrated the capsules, the more gets wasted.

My GUESS is that straining a fairly concentrated oil is at most 80% efficient, and might be less.
    Ardent Cannabis, maker of Nova/Lift and Fx used 1 oz oil for 1 g herb, strained, and got 90% efficiency, but that's a very weak oil.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes for sure

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. [​IMG]

My DIY centrifugal separator.

First I use a simple strainer to separate the bulk of the liquid.

Then I fill up the basket, making sure to evenly distribute the mixture.

Place a catcher under the spout.

Leave the lid off.

Turn it on, hang on, and whatever remaining liquid comes pouring out.

By the end the weed is bone dry.

If you wanted to get fancy you could probably bolt it down to some plywood for added operation stability.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. This looks like just the thing. I remember when I first was thinking about this in the early days and seriously giving a "salad shooter" kind of thing a whirl but I couldn't find something that would be non-reactive whenever I thought about it which wasn't often. The thread moved too quickly to always follow up but the thought was still there.

With a name like "ACME SUPREME JUICERator" it sounds like something Wile E Coyote might use but that looks quite efficient. That was a good catch. Centrifuges are becoming common equipment of extraction. It's good to see that it's working. How much material can you process with it? If I was still extracting I'd have to get one now that I've seen it. :)

• Like Like x 2

18. Hi Sam! Hope you are well. The basket and all of the parts are stainless, so that's a plus. The spout is plastic but contact time in minimal, although I've seen ones with stainless spouts. I usually spin 1 ounce at a time, empty the basket and do another one as necessary. It's super fast.

• Like Like x 2
  19. I like it! 883.gif

And that's not really a Wile Coyote product, quality wise. I looked it up and they've been around and the early ones can be considered "vintage".

• Like Like x 2