Canabutter

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by MRodgers, Sep 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Help please. I am brand new to making cannabutter. I use one pound of unsalted butter in my magic butter machine. I used 2 oz of pretty good bud. When I finish training I only ended up with about half a pound of butter. A lot of it seems to be soaked up into the we meaning bud. Is this normal? Is there a way to get more of the butter out? I apologize if this is not the place to post this. But unfortunately this old man Needs help.

2. @BrassNwood .........he has the "plan" on doing this stuff......wait for him.

3. Welcome in @MRodgers

Yes that is normal enough. You can try either a Potato Ricer or a garlic press to extract more oil.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's part of the inherent waste of making oil that way. The other option is to grind the herb to flour grade dust after decarb and don't strain. While it can add a slight grittiness to a cooked item it does insure your getting all the bang from your cannabis.

I'll pass along my own personal favorite recipe that I learned here on the City and have passed around for several years now.

Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes uncovered. Buds, Hash, Kef.
    5 grams decarbed Cannabis
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin ( any kind )
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (optional)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (skip if you didn't freeze)

Done.

Coconut oil hits fastest of all cooking oil = 45 minutes
    Lecithin acts as a strength and duration enhancer for twice the bang.

Make this in small batches as that seems to incorporate the lecithin to it's best advantage. I just don't get the same "hold on to your hat" kind of ride done in large batches.
    I usually make this as a triple batch
    15 grams of kief
    2.5 tablespoons oil
    1/2 tablespoon Lecithin.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have never used one of these machines, just the water/butter method...though I will say, it does appear that reducing the entirety of the butter by 50% is a little much.

I'm not sure about these machines - do they not strain/pinch the solid material left over or?

See I usually line a large straining tray with muslin, so that when mine is done cooking, I pour the remaining water and liquified butter through there into a large bowl...then gather up the muslin around the edges, twist it up and ring it out like a big tea bag, 'til it stops dripping. Then I'll release it, twist it up the other way around and really squeeze the hell out of it.
    I mean I lose maybe 10-15% to the solid material at most doing this - and I keep that solid green material rolled up, compound butter style, and use it in curries, pastas etc...it's not like having the butter but it does add a nice chill edge to your meals.

50% sounds...yeah, unusual. But like I said I can't really compare the two methods...just surprised the machine has no way of doing this/better.

5. [​IMG]

160 micron dry ice Kief each pile is 15 grams.
    [​IMG]
    My most used tools. The pair of stainless steel cat food dishes.
    [​IMG]

It works out to just enough oil to fully wet the Kief and it's got a consistency like mud.

[​IMG]

Just out of the freezer. This step softens the grittiness that my kief has when I let the caps melt in my mouth as I usually do.
    [​IMG]
    A Mr. Coffee mug heater keeps the dish nice and hot for capping. The base recipe fill 30 (0) size capsules.

Or.. Add the finished tablespoon of very potent oil to what is called for in your baked good. Blend the virgin oil and the canna oils very well then add the dry ingredients and bake normally.

Since i'm after high strength medication I use it as capsules and need it as strong as possible with as small an amount of oil as possible and this does that very well. Caution. Start small and works up slowly as this even done with Bud Dust can be many times stronger then you expect.

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    I maintain a thread just for this stuff.
    BNW

6. Can I do this if I just grind the fuck out of regular (decarbed) bud?

7. Yeppers . As fine a dust as you can get. Wine bottle on a granite tile was what I had around that worked best after a trip in the coffee bean grinder.
    [​IMG]
    Mortar and Pestle would get it done.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  8. I would think so................HELL YEAH that's awesome bro