Can I use miracle grow for an outdoor grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Krismarsden, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Ahh ok I think il give that a try, thanks man you have been really helpful. I have flora nova growth and bloom, just add nutes as usual?

2. Home depot yes, bag no. The 3.7cuft bales are what you want. I guess you could call it a bag... Right next to them are bags of cow manure compost for $2.50 or something. The bag peat and the mix peat like promix have been steam blasted to remove the biological activity. The bales have basically been cut out of the ground, and have all the biological activity you want.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #23 puffnstuff1960, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Hey, so I went down and bought some peat and cow manure, at what ration would you do your mix at? And also would you potting soil or perlite to it as well? Thank you in advance your guy for the info.

5. Half and half. I would layer in some lava rock in the pots/holes for aeration. They have that at home depot too. I throw in some rice hulls for aeration too, but I have done it with just lava rock and it works great.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well today is the day I will be planting them so im hoping for some big girls with the info you gave me! You gave me the best start possible so hopfully they turn out well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Of course you can. Soil or fertilizer. Both do a good job.

I'm had huge success with the "blue stuff" fertilizer. Don't let the purists tell you any different.

People spend way too much time looking for "the best" while knocking down something their mom uses. Unless you do it professionally, you'll never max out your grow like the pros, so stop wasting your money. A bit of compost and tomato fertilizer is all you need.

You might want to go higher P & K at flower time, but that's all you need to grow nice plants. (Do I have to mention regular watering?)

8. Thank you for the advice, I bought peat moss and cow manure, should I add a regular potting mix to that too do you think?

9. I see you have Home Depot's in BC. As much as i love Fox Farms ocean forest its too expensive for outdoor (depending on how many plants you're growing and how you're growing). I plant in ground big holes.. i use Kellogg's patio Plus organic it's great for outdoors and about $5 a bag at home Depot.. Great outdoor soil

Attached Files:

10. 1/3 peat moss
    1/3 compost(cow manure)
    1/3 aeration I use perlite.
    1 cup of lime

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Alpaca manure is great too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Do make sure to put some pulverized dolomite lime in there for calcium and magnesium, those are big... I like to add gypsum too, to balance out the calcium to magnesium ratio and gypsum also has sulfur, which is also pretty big...

Both are cheap. Farm supply store.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The cow manure, I assume is bagged and composted. Fresh would have a very high nitrogen content and would burn everything. Compost is a very slow release fertilizer. That's good, but what it's better at is building your soil structure which enables your soil to retain nutrients, water, air, and maintain a neutral pH, and protects plants from many diseases commonly found in gardens. It also feeds earthworms and other microbial life in the soil.

So what you also need is soil. Mix your manure with the peat moss half and half and add a big bag (or two) of soil. Promix vegetable and herb (or for flowers), or a big bag or two of Miracle grow mix (since we're talking MG as well). Now what you should also do is add a bag or two or Perlite. That'll help aerate your new soil mix.

We still haven't address food in your soil. There's enough in it to get you going, but after a month and a half, your plants are going to start getting hungry. You'll have to add fertilizer every second feeding. Oh and read the instructions and MEASURE it when you use it. No eye balling it.

This is what happens when you guess. lol

[​IMG]

14. Ya ya... that.

15. CalMag is important. I use Epsom Salt (mag) in my veggie and weed gardens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. You are the man!!!!!! Thank you so much thats what I needed is a guide on ratios to use, I have an 'organic soil at home that I will use and then add the peat moss and composted cow manure that I have, I will also pick up some perlite on my way home today. Haha don't worry I will be using measures. Thats awesome really Appreciate the help

• Like Like x 3
  17. 1 more thing I have bottled calmag should I add that to my water and add to my mix before I plant?

• Like Like x 1
  18. If found this while researching how to make Pro-Mix. UC Davis recommends the use of pulverized dolamite at around 5% of the weight of peat.
    So that's about 1kg per 85L compressed bale.

2 (ucdavis.edu)

If you amend peat with dolamite it will provide the cal-mag.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. You dont need it with dolomite lime in the soil

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Its 1 cup of lime per cf of soil.

• Like Like x 3