Cable TV vs Internet Streaming

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by Twistedd, Nov 10, 2016.

?

Do you still have Cable TV or have you switched to Internet Streaming

1. Cable TV

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Internet Streaming

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Both

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. Neither

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Your mileage will vary, but a decent digital over the air antenna will pull in many locals and split locals (like the dot channels 4.1, 4.3 etc).
    I too use a third party kodi build, but due to it's very nature the guidelines prevent me from posting it.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. OK I have a question
    I have a smart TV it gets netflix hulu etc...........
    I am hooked to cable and pay quite a lareg bill
    I wanted to know Can I drop the fancy package and just have basic and steam thru the TV or do I need a PS box?
    I have PS3 but have no idea how to stream thru it or if it even possible?

3. What is KODI?

4. KODI 4 LIFE!!!!! Goddamn I hope they dont switch to paid service next year. I run KODI off a raspberry pi 3 and it is great when paired with the right repos. Exodus is a must have if you get Kodi.

I still do use Hulu and Netflix and only use cable every Sunday for Redzone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It's great having Telly that's Free.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I only stream at night in my bedroom (I have a TV that I use as a monitor) mostly because we only have one cable box in the common area. I prefer to watch cable, because I have about 5 or 6 channels that's always playing something I'm interested in. I also enjoy the variety of different shows it plays, and not having to switch up episodes and all that.

I have found myself on the verge of using online streaming as a main, but once I got tired of the series I went back to cable.

It's just more convenient for me if I just feel like ripping a bong on the couch and passing out. I like the white noise.

Also my apt. provides HD cable for "free", so why not?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Change my vote!

2 weeks ago my satellite dish fell down

I didn't even notice ..lol

so I guess I'm streaming

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  8. #49 Pro11pse, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    I also don't understand people who still use cable TV. This is really a past century. Now, thanks to the Internet, you can enjoy streaming. After I found alternative to cable TV at https://yourmoneygeek.com I decided to give up the cable TV. I don't regret it at all, because I saved a lot of money. Now I can watch what I want without any restrictions and do not need to pay so much money for it.

9. Like comparing apples and oranges. Cable tv and satellite are over priced trash I pay around 30$ a month for Hulu with hbo and Netflix. Cable package high enough to get hbo is over 100$. Who wants to pay for over 100 channels of trash and commercial.

10. I currently have Dish and Netflix. I know I'm probably paying too much, about $100 a month total. The dish was cheaper at first, but they keep raising it the longer you have it. I also have Roku and that has some good stuff, but like the cable for local and football in the fall. I have been thinking of switching to Spectrum as they have a special of about half of what I'm paying, but their DVR sounds to have tiny recording ability compared to my hopper. Youtube TV looks pretty interesting too. I may have to check that out.

11. I have a KODi using the raspberry cpu...but what do you mean
    ..it's very nature the guidelines prevent me from posting it.?

even a link?

12. Kodi came around in the late 90s early 00 as a video streamer on Xbox. Now it’s a platform for streaming ANY THING. I side load it onto fire tv boxes. The issue is unless u get a good paid VPN eventually ur internet provider with throttle ur speeds and slow everything down all the time. Even with a vpn they can and will do it bc excessive usage that ur hiding.

13. The version I had was able to show first run movies ect. So if I posted a link, I would have been in violation.

There is a lot of online information on how folks have modified their Kodi installs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. #55 Green thumb noob, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    U have to change repos almost every month or few. The links are always coming and going. The best thing I’ve used is a raspberry, next would be fire tv box. The sticks are trash for kodi, as are the prebuilds

15. Yes I've tried that ...all I got was tv from 15 years ago ...a hell of a lot of it
    Shudder!!!
    its why I went movies ...lol

16. I much prefer Internet Streaming over regular Cable TV.

17. I watch youtube... everytime I try and watch cable, the constant bombardment of 5 minute commercial breaks every 15 minutes frys my brain and really strains my ability to pay attention. Plus the science and history channels have been stripped down to lame reality tv "whatyamacallits".... YouTube and Catmouse (shoebox replacement) now provide all of my entertainment needs!

18. Showbox*

19. #60 Buddy_Lee, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
    I just voted on a 4 year poll not because of you spammer.

BL

Edit: not...doh