Cable TV vs Internet Streaming

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by Twistedd, Nov 10, 2016.

?

Do you still have Cable TV or have you switched to Internet Streaming

1. Cable TV

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Internet Streaming

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Both

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. Neither

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Cable TV is quickly becoming a relic from the previous generation. Internet is superior in every way, unless you don't have internet or if you're old, or something like that.. Whether you're on one side or both sides, explain why. What keeps you on cable? Specific TV shows? Perks? Why did you switch to internet streaming? Did you leave cable for services like Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, Amazon, HBO? Do you use any streaming boxes like Roku, Apple TV, OTT, PS4/Xbox One?

Does one service have any specific exclusives another service doesn't have? Like House of Cards on Netflix or The Man in the High Castle on Amazon?

• Like Like x 10
  2. I honestly havent had cable for the past 10 years. Recently dropped Netflix due to the lack of new material, added Showtime on to Hulu for a total of $21 a month.

Any show I really enjoy that isn't on those two (Walking Dead, Blacklist) I buy for $2 an episode on Amazon Video, I actually own it forever that way.

I'll will also be adding on HBO for Thrones season and the season of Curb (hype?).

So like $70 a month for Internet and 2 movie channels. I run it all through an old ps3.

Haggard

• Like Like x 8
  3. We have Verizon FiOS package Phone/Internet/Basic TV and in order to have the Internet it just became cheaper to have the whole bundle. My girl and I did discover that anytime the intro deal is up we just change the name of who the bill is to and we get the same intro rate all over again.

So like 69.99 for the FiOS, free Hulu and Netflix from her large family sharing accounts, and my new chinese exchange friend has me sold on a VPN to expand our potential viewing a bit more.

• Like Like x 7
  4. I have both but stream almost everything and will probably at least drop my cable package down if not entirely very soon. I use Xbox One and Amazon Fire TV. I watch Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, along with others and have access to stream most channels from cable on my laptop. I can probably do without most of what I stream through them when I dump cable...or just pick them up another way.

Actually, this thread has inspired me to make the move to dump cable sooner than I thought. It is only used for a few shows and if I can't do without a few shows, there might be an issue. :p Plus, the cost...it seems like the longer you stay with a company, the more it costs. They should take you back to newbie rates after so long on the regular rate. Sometimes they will adjust the rates if you threaten to go with another company...and sometimes they just say bye-bye. :p Thanks for the push, @Twistedd

• Like Like x 7
  5. I use Amazon on a Roku mainly for Man in the high castle (highly recommend it). The only thing Roku lacks in my opinion is more options for streaming live news.

• Like Like x 3
  6. I have the Comcast Triple Play which is similar to Ean's setup and as Rummy said, the price keeps going up. I also have an Apple TV box and use it for off the wall educational shows when there's nothing on TV. I've been considering going to straight Apple TV with antenna for local networks.

I've also been looking in to an Ooma telephone box to keep my "landline" number. If I pay for the Blast Pro internet connection from Comcast at $59.99 for up to 150mbps download speed, a hundred bucks (one time) for the Ooma, and hundred bucks or so for an antenna, I can cut my expenses over $150.00 a month.

I'm currently locked into a 2 year contract with them which ends in January.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Ooma is a good idea. I think as the years go by more and more content will be provided through the internet and this making cable either reconsider their position by the resulting competition or die out completely. Both are good for the consumer.

• Like Like x 4
  8. I can't believe I didn't reply to that. I highly recommend it too. Great show! It really is. :)

• Like Like x 4
  9. I wanna check out the book and see how that is. I assume it'll be good.

• Like Like x 3
  10. The Motley Fool (an investment advisor firm) has predicted that cable will soon become a thing of the past.

The Motley Fool

• Like Like x 6
  11. No cable here, we use an Amazon Fire Stick, my wife subscribes to a bunch of stuff...but I rarely watch tv.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Internet streaming is way better. The commercials on TV are ridiculous, when cable TV first came out it was thought of as an idea to pay to avoid commercials.

• Like Like x 6
  13. #13 generic98547, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    I had moved in with a buddy of mine who had all the channels and shit.... watching new shows that aren't prerecorded man more than half the time was commercials and he paid over 100 dollars Netflix cost 10 bucks and no commercials

• Like Like x 6
  14. I think the cable companies need to offer their programming a la carte. Who wants to pay for a package that have a couple of channels you want to watch and dozens of channels you don't. It's that way with each tier of the programming too..........:bang:

• Like Like x 6
  15. That's how they sell those packages. If cable companies are going to compete with the various internet services, they at least need to make it where you can pick and choose which channels you want and more importantly what you don't want. They should just end the package deals altogether.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Honestly, I don't watch much live, I do a lot of my network tv watching via OnDemand at a later date but I weighed the price to get CenterIce or GameCast or something to watch NHL games in the winter and cable just became a bit easier and cheaper for that too.

@Chunk Have you and the Mrs flipped back and forth signing up for you Comcast. They my restart the Intro rate if you change the billing name and account it draws from?

• Like Like x 4
  17. I've honestly feel in love with YouTube when it comes to my actual video watching. TV time is mostly just with the wife.

Haggard

• Like Like x 4
  18. I've literally tried every single thing you have used and to be honest it's all the same shit.

Originally I had 60mbps internet and cable with hbo for 120$, but with taxes and shit that was more like 170$

I got pissed off one day and I kept the internet for 60$ a month, added my stepmoms Netflix for free and purchased Amazon Prime. Not terrible but there wasn't enough content I suppose, so I added Hulu, used that for 2 months until I realized you could not watch shows that were on the day before like they so had claimed (ie: Always sunny, south park) so I cancelled it.

Now I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sling TV with Starz and that comes out to be like 95$ a month. Fast forward another month and my mother gives me an Amazon Fire stick that has an app called Kodi on it which allows me to literally get anything I want whenever I want, endless episode streaming like TV which is nice and occasionally I can get multiple sports games. Although lately it hasn't been working as well, I may need to update the app.

My brother just got Playstation Vue and since we live together it has been more than enough with all the services we have but adding up what everyone spends, it probably comes close to the initial 170$ with more options but less control than cable.

I think at the end of the day, these guys own everything and they get their Jews to crank numbers to screw us out of money so they can store under their pillowcases

• Like Like x 3
  19. Yeah @Ean ,

We've been with them since they bought out our original provider (Adelphia) right around the time cable internet was coming on the scene. I've renegotiated several times for a lower price but a year goes by and boom, the rate jumps up.

Add to that, the rental fees for the boxes that record up to 5 programs simultaneously so Mrs. Chunk doesn't miss her soap opera. I've heard there's legislation to allow people to buy their equipment outright, but the cable companies are fighting it.

IDK though, as soon as you shell out money for something, the tech is obsolete a year later.

• Like Like x 4
  20. My father in law is 97? Man he's old but got all his wits and is healthy anyhow. Long story short we just stream everything here and have forever. So he comes to visit sometimes and I ask him " What do u want to watch?" He just can't get it - he always says "oh, what day is it", or "I'm not sure what's on right now" - and we always tell him that it doesn't matter what day or what time it is anymore - you can watch whatever u want whenever you want online these days.

Hey - is it against the rules for people to post good streaming websites? I'm always looking for the newest and greatest that won't put all kinda shit on my computer.

J

Edit - great thread Op.

• Like Like x 6