Buying Fake Samsung Grow lights from Alibaba

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Headhunterpipes, Oct 1, 2019.

1. #181 Shnicken, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Samsung is a company that is headquartered in Korea, and has a majority of their manufacturing in China. HLG buys from Samsung, reality is if you buy from HLG you are supporting Chinese/Korean business just the same as buying from Kingbrite IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  2. All that I have researched, has suggested that only Samsung diodes are made for optimum LED performance. If a product is intentionally mislabeled, then therein lies the issue.
    You can open up the units (unplugged) and inspect the diodes against examples online.
    If they match up, then you will need to upgrade your system.

Sent from my moto e6 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. While it's true that samsung makes the current darling diode of the grow community, lm301b, it also makes a lot of shittier diodes and lm301b in lower bins of quality. It's pointless to say only samsung makes the right diodes; the most important factor is what model and bin they're putting into your light. With china you will never be sure of this but most companies are close enough.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. I fully understand but how the question is how for most people. There's only a handful (but more by the month) USA manufactured lights. Many of the China factories are setting up here so they will be China Owened but USA made & Will be Hella hard for the customer to decifer unless he/she Diggs.
    Whereas many good lights are American owened companies manufactured in China. And because of that you get the good warrenty. Vice Versa I bet the Chinese will be more apt to stick by theirs too if made I'm USA. If they wanna stay here that is.
    Now, because of Covid shipping restraints, prices & tarrifs, they just set up here.
    I've been searching for USA manufacturers myself & it's not easy. Their terms of agreement are not as lenient as China factories set up here in USA, in turn making more difficult for a small guy to get started.
    As you know, their are Some Decent options here though. Are they as American as you think? TBD for many.

5. I am not even considering Samsung as an option. There are so many cool leds out there it's redic. Especially now that the laws will be changing & 70-80cri's will be yanked off the shelves. Companies are striving harder then ever to compete to create Human-Centric lighting. Leading to more spd's for horticultural as well. Not going to say to much more about it but it's deep. Several companies have surpassed the 301H already. Some considered no-namers that aren't even in the game are actually filling up horticultural lights more n more these days. Sanon for instance. Is not a no-namer but the largest led chip manufacturer in the world with Epistar coming in at 2nd n like x20 smaller. For over a year now Sanon has made a chip that is 7% higher efficiency then the 301H. Yugi (not many heard of) has one 1% higher & the ultimate spectral options using their patented phosphor tech.
    Saying only Samsung is a grow chip is Like when poeple said only CXB-3590 was a growing cob. Where there's one theirs 100's competing & now they are getting out there more n more. Funny cuz Alibaba is the one that puts all these less expensive, just as good Chips to use. What's NOT Funny is when they lie about it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Only thing Is Shane has NO idea how to compare spectrums. If he was able to see a spectrum, calculate the approximate gains from it compared to the normal HE spectrum then did fixture cost, efficiency or horse power as he'd say + over time running cost n all he does, ect... then he'd have a more accurate comparison chart. Until he understands that aspect he's not providing accurate information in relation to your grow. Sorry to say. Big difference I'm plant performance via spectrum/spectrums. Idgaf what Bruce Bugbee has to say. The man has lost much credibility in my eyes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. how so?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. What why?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. #189 Hybridway, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    He says all photons are equal in some words. Posted an article where his team sbs regular white leds to so called horticultural led fixtures & claimed equal result. Lol! Never looked into it but if it's your typical he spectrum then I get it, that's far from a horticultural spectrum lamp.
    He contradicts himself left n right. Own an Apogee 630 but that's the last from him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. yea, I heard that from several academics. I agree, PSI and PSII and the plethora of chlorophyll/light absorbers work at different frequencies. But I wouldn't say everything the man has offered is junk science (!) Still respect him quite a bit. I'm more against corporation nutrient companies that claim ph perfect and 'use more nutes' rhetoric that is just bs. I've lately been discovering the uselessness of adding all that phosphorous, so not needed. Stormcrow just put up a thread on some findings that red light increases gains whereas blue reduces them... so yea, spectra is important, just not completely understood yet. I see a lot of far red diodes being added to new lights, but I don't need my plants stretching, so I'm not believing all the claims yet. too many shills.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. You still think ir is a claim? It is the most important to add to a white light for greater yeilds. Not an overabundance of course. I have in depth articles on it by a company (not even selling lights) that will explain everything better then I & especially better then Bruce. PM me n I'll share with you.
    Ir should be controlled in a vertical tier situation or low ceilings.
    Time after time again my lights with ir are easier to flower & always come in higher yeilds n more bag appeal.
    In my particular garden I see hight × width = win. Width x Bonsia is usually funky in comparison. Is why anything that's not an all in one light is supplemented. Many get diffusion as well.
    Here's an Example of how I got my QB to spit results close to the goal. And an example of diffusion on the 96 Elites. 20210406_215121.jpg 20210415_042154.jpg
    Maybe I missed it but how can one Shill Ir???
    I hate that term. Recommend something you actually use to a person that asks & you're automatically a Shill if it's not the majorities favorite. S.A.D.

12. Jul-05-2016 ingbright and Cree Settle Patent Dispute and Reach License Agreement. Kingbright Electronic Co. announced today that it has reached a confidential settlement in its patent lawsuit with Cree, Inc. Kingbright and Cree have agreed to a worldwide license to the Cree patents-in-suit, thereby ending the lawsuit between the

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. #194 Headhunterpipes, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    What's there to disagree with What I posted was a news release where cree took king brite to court for stealing they're patent and using there Brand name .
    Kingbrite settled the case out court .

Cree and Kingbright Settle Patent Dispute and Reach License Agreement
    Kingbright and Cree Settle Patent Dispute and Reach License Agreement - Kingbright
    Kingbright Electronic Co. announced today that it has reached a confidential settlement in its patent lawsuit with Cree, Inc. Kingbright and Cree have agreed to a worldwide license to the Cree patents-in-suit, thereby ending the lawsuit between the parties.
    Cree : and Kingbright Settle Patent Dispute and Reach License Agreement | MarketScreener

I guess black and white and on world news is meaning less ? LOL

• Like Like x 1
  14. That actually suggests that KingBrite is now following the rules... since that was back in 2016.
    Thanks for the information HH.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cree Sees How Many Suits It Takes to Block Rival LED Lightbulbs - Bloomberg
    Cree Inc. is seeking to keep rival light-emitting diodes bulbs out of the U.S., as growing popularity for the energy-efficient lighting means increased competition in the market and in courts.

Cree filed complaints today at the U.S. International Trade Commission and in federal court in Wisconsin, claiming closely held Feit Electric Co. and Taiwan-based Unity Opto Technology Co. are infringing its patents for the design and operation of LED chips, packaging and LED bulbs.

16. Yes with Cree ,, but kingbrite was stealing Cree's patent and Crees brand name.
    What would make anyone think they are not doing the same with Samsung ?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Well maybe it's the fact that you can contact Samsung and Samsung's authorized dealer, To-Top, that Kingbrite buys from. All the info is there man it's been thrown out numerous times for anyone that actually cares to look and not just fight a never ending battle to prove they are fakes.

Not to mention man go do a little research there are people on RIU that have done side by sides with the KB's and HLG's of equal watt.... I'll let you go look at who wins out on the par meter. Can you show me one shred of evidence that HLG is even using top bin 301b's other than their personal assurance? Samsung will readily verify they are partnered with HLG, however they wouldn't verify shit in regards to HLG buying only top bin and that they have dibs on them over anyone else. Sometimes the world isn't what it seems my friend, if you want to buy HLG for your peace of mind by all means do so, but please stop trying to prove something with zero evidence other than a personal opinion.

Sorry if that came off as harsh, not intended that way, I just feel that if you are going to make claims you should come with some proof. Plus you think if Cree was going to sue them Samsung wouldn't have done the same?

• Like Like x 1
  18. What I said was directed at ChuckT in the post above: he stated only Samsung makes the right diodes; issue is that while Samsung does make top diodes not all diodes from Samsung are that great. Not sure what you disagree about and why you quote kingbrite lawsuit as I've not mentioned it. Happy growing