Butane torch not working?

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by chicagoman, Mar 24, 2013.

1. I bought a new torch today, a vector nitro, I filled it up with the butane, but someone how it won't flame up. It only flames up when I light it with a lighter. Did I refill it wrong or defective?

Thanks.

2. So the electric ignitor doesnt work? I dont see how refilling would effect that..it probably came defective. I would try returning it or sending it to vector to be fixed.

3. When I press down the button ignitor it pushes out nothing but butane air, but when I light it up with a lighter it works fine.

4. The ignitor doesn't work.

5. Is the ignitor on the end where the flame comes out? If so see if you can see it spark when you try to light it. Please don't burn yourself, dude.

If it's sparking you might have overfilled it, and it's coming out too fast to ignite.

6. What he said. Burn some butane off with another lighter then see if it works. Don't let it burn for too long obviously or you'll waste your fluid. If it still doesn't work then the igniter fucked up and you need to return it. Try and get reimbursed for your fluid too if possible.

7. are you flipping the little safety switch under the button before pressing it? my vector lets me do that and if I try it generally fails to ignite. Also for about 2 weeks a month after I bought it it would ignite maybe once in 100 attempts, but it randomly fixed itself eventually. Either way, if it really won't work, or lighting it with a lighter is too bothersome, vector does have a no proof warranty, so you can certainly send it in to be repaired or replaced for free.

8. Yeah, it works about once every 6 turns. I'm not gonna return it. Just gonna keep on dabbing with it, prob send it back once it doesn't work properly.

Thanks for help people.

9. Honestly my little $15 micro torch I got off Ebay works better then my buddies Vector. Granted it took me a couple shitty torches to find this good one.

10. I personally like the blazer big shot but its pretty expensive compared to other torches. I like this one because ive had it for over a year and it still works like the day i got it. It takes a ton of butane is the only complaint i have about it. Heats up nails super quick though.

11. My vector is flawless, however my first torch I ever bought for smoking purposes had this problem, except it NEVER sparked, no matter how many times you tried. I took it back, me and the lady at the front desk compared it and it clearly just had a faulty ignitor.

12. i have not had any problems with my vector nitro, but my friend gt one the same day as me and he has replaced the spark ignitor twice in the last year. same thing as mentioned in this thread, would light 1 of every 5 or so trys.
    you can replace it with one from one of those long stick/ wand style bic lighters, like you use to light a bbq grill or a fireplace. you can also eliminate the safety switch pretty easily while you have it opened up.
    vector will replace your torch for you if you send it back to them, but that takes a couple weeks, and seeing how i use my torch daily its easier to just replace the spark ignitor when it goes bad.

13. Had a $5.00 off coupon from Ace Hardware....Went there...Bought a regular propane torch with a click ignitor switch for a total of $30...I keep it under my kitchen sink...Whenever I feel like a dab or two, it works flawlessly...and produces a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH cleaner flame than any butane torch ever could....the canisters are easy to find/replace, cheap and last about 20 times longer than those tiny butane torches. Yes, a lot more bulky...but I'll take those trade-offs any day!

[​IMG]

14. except that propane is unsafe to use on anything your going to inhale. aside from the countless impurities in propane compared to good vector butane, propane burns too hot to use on titanium nails. after 10 or 20 times being heated with propane, a Ti nail will be oxidized, and titanium oxide is poisonous.

if you want to inhale tons of impurities and/or poisonous fumes more power to you, but please dont post bad info like that, it could cause someone who doesnt know any better to do it without realizing.

15. Could just be me.. But sometimes when I'm gone I can't get the vector lit and it's because I'm pressing the button in unevenly. Try and put the full print of your thumb on the button and press it down evenly. That's does the trick for me more times than not.

16. Will you please provide the information that backs up your claims?

17. im not gonna spend my time posting half a dozen examples for you, you can type "titanium propae" into the search bar without me doing it for you. theres are at least half a dozen threads just on grasscity, from people examining it from a scientific standpoint, to pics of nails people have ruined with propane, to discussions on exactly how high of a temp is going to cause rapid oxidation.

or you can google titanium dioxide to see for yourself that inhaling it or its vapor is very unhealthy, and shows signs of causing cancer.
    another simple google search will show you that titanium will oxidize at a much faster rate at much higher temps of a propane torch vs a butane one.

hell theres a thread on these forums where a guy bought cheap grade 1 titanium nail, and using a propane torch, he oxidized it way past the point where it was safe to use within 1 week.

18. Well in that thinking, I don't see how you would expect anyone to waste their time reading your multiple partially explained descriptions of your findings.
    One or two of the pages you've found to support your argument would have probably sufficed for him.. If that was the case, you probably wouldn't have come off like a snob, as well as spent less time proving your point.

19. I can't find any information like that at all, System 7.

It doesn't make any sense from a physics standpoint at all. Heat is heat after all. It really doesn't matter what the heat source is as far as I can tell. A flame that burns at 1000 degrees will be capable of heating something just the same as something that burns at 2000 degrees -It's just that the higher temperature will heat the object faster. It's pretty easy to comprehend that if a propane torch burns hotter, then it will heat the nail faster.

As far as pollutants...propane is waaaaay cleaner than butane.

Your claim would make more sense if there was some sort of chemical reaction between the titanium and the propane...but the fact is that that's not the case.

I think you got your information from someone who was misinformed. But, if there's all this supposed information to back up what you are saying, and I can't find it, then maybe you would be so kind as to lend a little help and a few links or something?

20. Can somebody tell me whats wrong with mine? I tried emptying out the gas and everything but it still does only this when refilled. Can i fix this myself or do i have to actually get a new one?

Attached Files: